new to growing... help!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ian!, Jan 21, 2009.

1. #1 ian!, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2009
    so im about to order dwarf autoflowering seeds for indoor grow. i want to know what else i need:

best soil?
    pot size?
    nutrients?
    lighting?

my closet is pretty much empty, so space isnt a problem but money is :(

i think im going to grow 2-3 plants btw.

2. Organic soil is good, just don't get anything with time release nutes in it, and avoid Miracle Grow at all costs. I've had good luck with Fox Farm Ocean Forest, but it is pricey and I am sure there are a lot of other great organic soils available.

If you are in the Western US, you might try this link:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general-...g-budget-need-great-soil-check-out-5-bag.html

As far as pot size, for those tiny little low-rider plants you are probably fine with 3 gallon pots, maybe less. Some people claim it is better to grow in a small container and re-pot when the plant gets slightly root-bound. I started in a small pete-moss planter filled with organic soil, then just dropped the planter and all into a 5 gallon bucket once the little guys had grown through to the bottom.

I'm not a bottle nute expert in any way, shape, or form so I will stay away from that one other then to say don't give them anything at all for at least a week and when you do start start very slow, 1/8th of the dose listed on the bottle and see how they take it. I went the organic route and used worm-casting tea all through veg and my plants were 12" tall and bushy as hell after 5 weeks.

Lighting, if you can deal with the heat and have headroom in your grow space go HID. If not then go with CFL. They say with CFL you want 100w (actual, not equivilant) per plant, for HID i think the equation is more area based with you wanting 2k lumens of light per sqft in veg and closer to 3k lumens /sqft in flower.

One thing you didn't mention was smell control which becomes an issue very quickly (within a month, which goes fast). I'd deal with that before I started via a carbon filter and a quiet, quality fan (http://www.hvacquick.com/spfnconfig.php?fm=td). If you don't think 3 or 4 plants can stink up an entire house then you are kidding yourself.

Anyway, GL!