New Plants

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CamMan, Apr 29, 2003.

1. I recently germinated about 35 plants. Of the plants that have sprouted most of them are about 4" long before the first leaf. I am not sure that they will be able to support the leafs or flowers once they start growing. How can I get a stout healthy plant? And is there any point in continuing to grow the plants that I have?

2. sounds like you are using flouros, or incandesant bulbs(hopefully not).

if you are using anything other than flouros or HPS or MH, get yourself some flouros, the flouros should be 2" from the top of the plant, that will reduce the stretching that you see. also get a fan on them to help strengthen the stem

3. Actually, I just germinated the seeds and put them in a flower box. I have been putting them outside on sunny days, but they are in a window inside for the rest of the time.

I am planning on planting them in the woods outside my place and let nature take over.

4. They arent getting enough light, that is why plants and trees stretch. If their stems are to thin look in the middle of the top of the plant. There are two tiny white hairs. be very careful and make sure you get only those two hairs and pull them out. the plant will regenerate those hairs but until it does, the stem will thicken and it will grow stronger. I just did this with two of mine a couple weeks ago and i am very happy with the results. they have started to grow tall again and have already split to form two long thick branches.

Hope this helps.

Just another newbie

Bru

5. Thanks Brujah. I will try that. Sounds like there might be hope for my plants afterall.

6. I have this same problem since I start my sprouts inside also.
    I start my sprouts in small throw away part drinking cups, like 5" high thin plastic cups.

What I do is only fill the cup about 1.5" from the top with soil and plant the germinated seed. Once the see grows, if it grows tall and thin I fill the up with light potting soil up to the endge or rim of the cup. So now about 1/2 of the thin stem is now under soil and supported. Ive had great luck doing this.

Ive also noticed much more than 3-4 weeks inside on a window ledge I begin to run into light problems.....they need to get outside in the direct sun.

7. it sounds like after three or four weeks of growth in those little cups, that the small container could be part of the problem. they are good for germinating and letting clones root.... but you should put them in bigger containers after a month of growth. nobody ever wants to be in tight underwear. neither do your plants. hope your grow goes good.
    Peace, love and bigger buds.

8. I only use the small drinking cups until the plants are of height as the cup is deep. So, 4" cup, 4" plant.

The saying is a tree grows roots out the same depth and reach as its branches.

9. I solved the lighting problem! I took two standing torch lamps and unscrewed the top section droppin it down, and placed one at each end of the flower box. I put it all in the spare bedroom, and they seem to be doing much better. They are the perfect height for the plants.

I will keep them in the spare bedroom until the 1st of June with 24 hrs of light to complete the vegatative stage. Then they will go outside to flower. I hope to have some good bud by the end of July!!