Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

New mmj patient/tolerance

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by cotawa, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone!
    I have 2 months experience with Mj. I'm 49, and have 3herniated discs, degenerative disc disorder, fibro, and the list goes on. anyway, I was hesitant (due to my ignorance and fear) to use Mj, but my future included knowing I would probably not live with this pain for another 10 yrs! Did the traditional pain managment, and was addicted to opiates. Started with vicodin and ended up with fentanyl patch. So...my first time smoking, after about 10 hits, I did notice some numbing effect with my pain, it was a dull pain and very tolerable. Yay! right? well, I've discovered through trying several kinds of mj that my tolerance is really high, OR my pain so high that the mj just focuses on that. Well, thats exactly what I wanted, although it takes ALOT of weed for me, and sadly I have yet to experience the 'high' that so many of you speak of. I guess I have to go with concentrates? Afghan goo has been the strongest I have tried. It did make me feel a little spacey, thats the closest thing to high I've had. I would love to try something that will give me the feeling others speak of, but address my pain as well. Is there such a thing as being immuned to weed? I never used it recreationally, tried it a couple times as a teen, but liked drinking back then better. Does anyone else have a similar experience? The money I've used trying to 'find' a strain is crazy. I'm on disability, so finances are an issue. :wave:

2. Buy/try a quality vaporizer first before spending all your money on different strains. It should give you what you are looking for :smoke:

3. Thank you. Yea, I made the big mistake of buying a cheaper vape. I didn't know what I know now. Its a little 75.00 unit. And...I guess I got what I paid for, something less than what I expected. So now I have to wait about a month in order to have funds saved for a nicer one.
    But I definately will! Thanks again. I really like this site, I had no idea someone would get back to me so soon.

4. How much do you generally smoke in grams? For me when I first started a third of a gram would get me pretty high.

5. I use medical marijuana for insomnia, and for controlling and stabilizing my moods (bipolar) and some other issues. I have your issue but its from the amount I smoke, I'm able to smoke myself to sobriety. It's really weird, sometimes it happens and others it doesn't. I have a volcano classic that I use the majority of the time. I rarely smoke. With the volcano I use almost no medicine, 1/4 lasts me about a week. And even when my smoking tolerance is through the roof, 2+ gram blunts to the face and I can do 3 or 4 of those in a sitting... the vapor is somehow able to use a different "tolerance scale" if that makes any sense, so when I use it the first time of the day it really hits me hard, every day. Sleeping seems to reset this "vapor tolerance scale" unlike the smoking one which takes weeks to months to reset.

My advice to you is to invest in a volcano classic, unless you have the extra $100 to spend for the digital. The thing I love about the classic is it can take a beating, mine has dropped from 2-3 feet multiple times, 3 or 4 and still works just as well as the first day i bought it, I doubt the digital could stand up to that. I've had mine for about a year.

With pain management the majority of the affect comes from the CBD's the relaxing lethargic effect from indica's, these are (if I am correct) found inside the plant material so in order to release them you need to combust that plant. In other words, the CBD's create the "stoned" feeling, and the relaxing effect. Where the THC creates the "high" feeling, the energetic, more mind effect.

And if you want to smoke specifically I'd recommend investing in a good glass on glass bong or "water pipe".

This is what I've found out from my experience and learned from reading. Hope it helps.

6. Since you have a high tolerance, I wouldn't suggest going with a vaporizer like the Purple-Days or MyrtleZap as they have small bowls and you will probably need more than 1. I recommend looking into Da Buddha ($150) or the Silver Surfer, both great quality whip-style vaporizers.

p.s Volcano's are overpriced and more of a luxury item. if you have the money to throw around and want one, go ahead. But there are plenty of lower priced quality vaporizers that will get the job done just as well, if not better.

7. well, I don't know in grams. What I've done: tried a couple different kinds from a friend, one of them really helped, but have NO idea what it was. Since going to the dispensary, I've gotten 1 to 1 1/2 gms of a couple different strains. I will come home and try...this is the way it has been for almost 2 months. I haven't tried anything that I say, 'gosh, this works good, I want to get more" except with afghan goo. I am hoping to get more of that, I still didn't get 'high', but at least it addresses my pain quicker. 7-8 hits vs. 18-20. Thats alot from what I'm understanding. Thank you for getting back to me.

8. it could be down to your smoking technique, hold hits for about ten seconds, when i started smoking i would never hold them and never got high

9. I highly suggest investing in a high-quality vaporizer of your choice and taking the time to master the learning curve when switching to vaporizing; it's more fun than anything else. :hello: i've been vaping all day everyday for a while now and i still don't load more than 0.05-0.1g in my bowl per sesh

10. My doc says its like opiates-the more pain you are in, the less high you get. If you have severe pain, using oral meds (like cannacaps) is strongly suggested. Then you can vape on top of that, once you've got your daily oral dose adjusted properly. I do a combo of oral meds and vaping, which works quite well. Afghan Gooey is a strong Indica, so you may want to ask for Indicas when you go to the dispensary.

11. Have you tried edibles? My hubby has neuropathic pain and toking simply does not make it for him! A "magic muffin" in the morning makes his day go MUCH smoother!

Now about edibles-

First, the "left overs" from vaping can be used in baking! There is still some "good" left in your cannabis even after vaping.

Second it can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 3 hours to get the effects, depending on your body and what you have eaten today.

Lastly - For the best effect, don't eat on an empty stomach!

Science: Oral intake of a cannabinoid together with a meal improved bioavailability by avoiding first-pass metabolism (abst. - 2009)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

There are recipes (Methods of Use - Edibles) and much more in my "Granny's List" (1st link in my sig. You'll LOVE it!) And I strongly suggest that you read this! It explains a lot!

Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency (full - 2004)
    http://www.freedomtoexhale.com/clinical.pdf

My little "Vapor Brother's" is a reasonable compromise between cost and efficiency. It has stood up to years of daily use, being dropped many times and it still works just fine. ;)

Welcome to Grass City! :smoke:

Granny :wave:

12. I have a herniated disc in my back too, L5 to be exact. You must be in alot of pain i'm sorry. I smoke a bong hit about every 40 minutes. I tried a vaporizer but didn't get the relaxed stoned feeling I get with a bong. It sounds like your new to smoking. Cannabis doesn't take away all of my pain. It takes away about 30% of my nerve pain and keeps my mood relaxed. I'm smoking Afghany Goo right now too along with a bag of Sour Trainwreck. I would stick to the most poteint indicas I can find for pain. Remember it's not the name of the strain its how strong the medicine is.:smoke:

13. Gosh everyone is soooooo NICE here. I feel like a complainer, and I don't mean to be. I like what I read and it made alot of sense regarding high pain, and not being able to get the high feeling. It really does make sense. Regarding edibles, heres what I've experienced: it takes about 15 minutes to kick in for me, and eaitng one doesn't work, maybe I havent had anything potent enough, but it sure doesnt last long for me. And I LOVE the whole concept of medical marijuana, and I know it helps me with pain, even just a little, but I just dont like the taste of product in my food, I'm not real good with sweets like cookies, I really have to choke them down, and having 4 cookies is gaggy for me. I'd like to try the capsules, but one lady who has similar tolerance problems said she has to take like 6 of them and they make her real gassy. I will try them though, cuz who knows, that might be the ticket for me. In combo with vaping (if thats a word, lol) My pain right now is nerve pain in my neck and down my arms. Doesnt seem to really touch the nerve pain. I'm a little more hopeful today. I needed the feedback you all gave me to help encourage me to keep trying, and not give up. So thank you. Money is a little, well....actually a big problem right now. So I have to wait for my disability check on the 1st. I will try and get some of the suggestions you all gave me. OHH! what about tinctures? Anybody have experience with that? If you all were with me, took a look at how little I am, and how much I smoke, you'd be going holy crap lady! How come your not goofy or sleeping? Kinda makes me chuckle thinking about it.

14. There are recipes for making canna-butter and canna-oil in my "Granny's List (1st link in my sig) that can be added to all sorts of things and not just cookies! Being diabetic, I must avoid sugar, so I'm kind of in the same boat with you on the cookies- just different reasons.

Like I said before, vaped cannabis still has some usable cannabinoids in it! It can be a way to use less "new" cannabis in your cooking and still get the effect you want. If you use just vaped cannabis, your "medibles" won't get you "zonked", but you can still feel the effect. :)

I got tincture recipes in my List, too! There are two basic types, alcohol, and glycerin, tinctures. Tinctures can be used by adding them in edibles, or swirled around in the mouth for a few minutes to be absorbed under your tongue, or just swallowed.

Alcohol is quicker to make (2 to 4 weeks), but it burns your mouth and some folks prefer not to use alcohol even in medicines. Use the highest proof alcohol you can find - ask for Everclear vodka. Flavored liquors are also used sometimes in making tinctures. One recipe for "Green Dragon" uses rum.

The glycerin tinctures can take up to 2 months to come to full strength, but glycerin tastes sweet, doesn't burn your mouth and you can find it in health food stores. (Be sure to get food grade glycerin- less pure types are not meant for human consumption, but any from a health food store will be food grade, so don't worry.)

Hon, just open up the 1st link in my sig and read! The answers you need are there, 9 times out of 10!

(And splitting things into small paragraphs makes posts much easier to read, hon. ;) )

15. Thanks. I'm gonna check the link out. I'm usually a quick learner, this is all foriegn to me. Sorry if my posts have been hard to read. I will seperate from now on. ;)

16. We were ALL noobies once! lol I know all this will seem overwhelming at times, but it gets easier as time goes on! Keep asking your questions and GC will answer them all!

17. Your awesome! Thanks, and YES I really am a newbie! I'm so uneducated when it comes to mmj. and because of all of you and your response and your guidance, I've not given up finding the right combo to address my need for pain relief. This morning I was in tears from pain. Cryin don't help, but sometimes I just cry. anyway, I'm grateful to you all