Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

New method for quick glycerin tincture, using alcohol extraction

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by VLJ, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums here. Sorry bit of a long post. Didn't think to take pics during the process so I'll describe everything in detail. Anyway I have been experimenting with different tinctures for a while now and discovered a pretty fast and relatively easy way to make a glycerin based tincture. Apologies if this is already a well-known technique, I've never heard of it before. This can be completed in about 3-8 hours depending on how much you want. Glycerin itself isn't super great at bonding to the THC we want in a timely manner, so I question whether some of the other recipes that say they can cook the THC into the glycerin in a few hours really get it all or not. This recipe uses a method of expediting the transfer of the THC into the glycerin. The only downside is that it requires an extra ingredient, alcohol, so it may cost a bit more.

Here's the basic gist of how to make it followed by step by step directions. If you are familiar with the green dragon alcohol tincture recipe that is out there this has a similar process with one more step. Basically we are going to extract the THC from our bud into some really high proof liquor, I recommend everclear. After we have an alcohol based tincture we are going to mix it and some glycerin together. Then we simply heat the mixture and boil off the alcohol since glycerin's boiling point is much higher, leaving just the THC left in the glycerin.

I'm not going to put definitive amounts on this stuff. It can be adjusted depending on how potent you want your mixture to be.

Ingredients/Materials:

- At least 1/8 oz of high grade bud
    You can try this with some lower quality stuff if you'd like. I have only ever tried it with sour diesel and some other high quality stuff, can't remember the name, but it may very well work with something that isn't as good.

-glycerin - roughly 1-5 oz per 1/8 oz of weed depending on desired potency
    I used about 4 grams of the stuff who's name I can't remember in 6 oz of glycerin the first batch and a couple of small dropper fulls got you feeling quite good and I have a pretty high tolerance.  Second batch used about 3/8 oz of sour diesel in about 10 oz glycerin. It got me feeling quite good after one small dropper.  Took a tablespoon of it and was feeling crazy as hell.

- a fifth of high proof liquor
    Once again everclear is recommended. Bacardi 151 would also work though may make the final mix rum flavored. If you're making a huge batch obviously you'd need another bottle maybe.

-Some way to strain the plant matter out
    I recommend cheesecloth.  A strainer with fine holes would also work though. I like the cheesecloth because you can squeeze it and wring it out basically to get every last drop.

- a large pan, similar to what you'd make a cake in, glass is recommended so you can see the mixture

-something to store the mixture in

-aluminum foil or a metal pan

-stuff to make a double boiler

Optional stuff:

-a funnel to help keep from spilling everywhere

-some kind of liquid flavoring
    I used some artificial strawberry flavoring I got at the grocery store. A little goes a long way. Without it, it just kind of tastes like a sugary gel.

This first part is basically a quick alcohol tincture recipe.  You could probably get a more complete recipe if you just googled green dragon, but here's a quick and dirty version. If you already know how to make it you can probably skip this part. All credit for the green dragon recipe goes to someone that's not me. I'm not really sure who the originator is.

First grind up all your bud as finely as possible and put it on a tray of aluminum foil. Make sure it's evenly distributed on the foil so it heat evenly. Heat up your oven to 250 degrees F. Put it in the oven for like 5 minutes. This will smell everything up. Put the weed that now has the bonds on the THC broken into the double boiler and add some of the alcohol. Enough to submerge all of the weed and have some room left for some to evaporate off. The water itself in the double boiler should be just on the verge of boiling and then the alcohol will be at its boiling point. Alcohol boils with very tiny bubbles compared to water so you have to look close. Stir it as much as you can. I also sometimes take the top part of the boiler out and take a glass or something and sort of smash down and twist on the weed in the mixture to release more of the THC and then put it back in the double boiler. Let it cook like this for 20-30 min. The alcohol should be pretty saturated with THC at this point and should be a somewhere between green, yellow, and brown colored. Since we are going to evaporate out the alcohol anyway the more concentrated you make this mixture the better. I usually repeat this process with the same weed a couple of times to make sure I got everything. I just strain each batch into the same jar and return the weed to the top of the double boiler. Eventually you should add some alcohol to the weed and have it not change colors nearly as much as the other batches. Add this final batch to the jar and if you have the cheesecloth put all the weed in it and squeeze it hard to get as much as you can out. This is the end of part one. You can test this mixture now if you'd like.

Now to transfer this THC to the glycerin instead, for those of us who don't want to drink everclear all the time. Heat the oven up again to 250 F. Pour all of the THC alcohol mixture into the large pan. The idea is we want a lot of surface area so the alcohol evaporates faster. Now add the glycerin to the pan. Since it is at room temperature it will just settle to the bottom and you will see two distinct layers in the pan. Now put it in the oven. Keep in mind that we are going to be evaporating alcohol here which is going to be putting off fumes. Keep open flames away people. Also if you are going to do this with a very large batch you probably would want to try and do the evaporation process on top of the stove instead. I just worry that a bunch of everclear fumes will build up in some poor stoner's oven and explode or something. To help prevent that I recommend opening the oven briefly every so often to let the fumes disperse. This is also a great time to stir the mixture. When you open the oven and still get a big whiff of alcohol you know it isn't all evaporated yet.

Once the mixture gets heated up towards the 250 F the oven is at, you will notice that the mixture will become homogenous at some point. The noticeable separation between the glycerin and the alcohol will no longer be apparent. However if the mixture is still bubbling and smells like alcohol then it isn't all evaporated yet. I am inclined to wonder if you stopped heating the mixture after it becomes homogenized would the alcohol and glycerin separate again as they cooled, or not. You might be able to make a kind of weed and alcohol based gel if they didn't separate. Anyway for now just let all the alcohol boil away. This can take quite a while depending on how much alcohol was used and the size of the pan. This is why you want the alcohol mixture really concentrated. Once the bubbles and smell subside you know you're done.  You should notice that the level of the liquid left at the end is the same as the height of the clear layer of glycerin you started with in the pan. When I made this with the sour diesel it came out a nice golden honey color with a green tint. Use a spatula or spoon to scoop every last little bit out of the pan into the storage device of your choosing. Keep in mind that glycerin retains heat really well so it will likely be really damn hot for quite a while. Once you get it in the storage container add the flavoring if you have any and stir the mixture up. Keep tasting a little bit at a time to make sure you don't add too much flavoring. That's it, you're done! Eat it, put in on your weed and smoke it, put it on you somewhere and let it absorb into your skin slowly, whatever you want.

2. It's a great start!

That's almost just how we do it, except with a cleaner wash/extract (since glycerin can't handle all those extra inert/impurities). :)

You don't want to make Green Dragon, you want to process as though you were trying to make a nice, clean smoking or vaping hash... more as though you were trying to make a Golden Dragon, but still, you can stop long before promoting bioavailability. Extraction is all we're after when performing a solvent transfer.
      With high proof alcohol, fast, cold washes are all that you require. If you were making oil for eating purposes on the other hand, unlike glycerin, it can handle dispersing and suspending all that extra chlorophyll and many of those impurities, and edible chlorophyll is very good for many patients suffering skin, and digestive illnesses.

Heat isn't necessary when performing a simple alcohol wash, it's only needed if you want to pull in other properties (chlorophyll, more salts & alkaloids) that specific medical patients benefit from. The solvent strips the majority of the glandular material, even ice cold, in a matter of minutes (seconds, really). :)  For most purposes, it's room temp or cold washing. :) We use warm washes generally only when making oil for capsules, or edibles that can handle the added flavor! And some patients like the peace of mind that heating gives them when using their extract to make oil, in spite of the green results.

But with a glycerin tincture made using a dirty alcohol wash, once that alcohol is gone, you're left with tons of insoluble junk to strain out of your glycerin when you're done...and what's worse, that junk solidifies in the glycerin with the evaporation of the alcohol, it can even encase, and interfere with the solubility of a portion of your remaining cannabis glandular material! :eek:

Next time, look through some of the hash washing tutorials, and see how little effort it would take to make an even cleaner, faster and nicer end product! :yay:

3. What ratio of GD to glycerin? I've been googling it all night and no real answers there lol.   I've got some QWISO hash that I was planning to decarb, then wash in enough alcohol to make it a liquid, then cooking it into 1oz.  Sound ok?