New house, new smoke spot

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by cdnr, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Hello GC,

I am moving back to my home town soon. We are going to be renting a house (GF, and some of our closest friends). Currently, I smoke in the living room of my apartment and turn on my air purifier. My room mates all smoke as well :smoking: so there is no need to hide it from them. My problem is, currently I live in a triplex that is divided into 6 apartments, and my landlord owns about 20 of these buildings so I never worry about him stopping by, ever.

With my new landlord, however, he owns our one house (maybe a couple more). He has been adamant about giving us 24 hrs notice before coming by as per the landlord tenant laws in Ontario. My options for a smoke/ chill room seem pretty promising, but wanted to see what other people thought and have done in the past.
    Here is what I have to work with:

A) Basement laundry room, door that I can close, bare concrete floor, one window. Obviously, it would smell slightly like laundry soap and dryer sheets in here any ways. The house has no ducting (older baseboard heaters and gas fireplaces :rolleyes: ) so I do not need to worry about my tokes making their way into the vents.

B) Metal shed in my backyard - landlord has told us that we can feel free to use the shed. I'm assuming that because of this I can also put a lock on it. He is aware that I plan to use the shed to store some things. I live in Ontario, we get cold winters and can have hot summers. I was thinking about putting up some rigid foam insulation to help keep the shed usable into slightly lower temperatures. I have heard that I need to worry about condensation? I was planning on running an outdoor/ all weather extension cord to it so I could plug in a light.

Would a portable heater be unreasonable? And would the insulation panels prevent condensation? Has anyone ever done anything like this?

Pictures, stories, and comments all welcome! I would love to see what other people have made their smoke room/ area look like as I am fresh out of ideas

Please keep it constructive and happy toking :wave:

2. Run an extension cord from the house to the shed and put on a heat source. You could just put on a blower dryer in there for 10 minutes before you toke and it would be warmed up. Maybe put in a bean bag chair and a little table or something.

3. The shed could be a cool smoke spot. If you run electricity in there do it right. Don't just run an extension cord in from the window that just screams meth lab. Grab some old lawn chairs. Maybe a few milk crates for tables. Store some other stuff in there to make it look professional. You could have a nice spot.

There is also the option of straight toking in your house. But the landlord might show up uninvited for some reason or another. Its probably safer to be outside. Plus the shed has that whole "tree house" feel to it.

4. I really don't think you have a meth lab for running a wire to your shed...

5. i think as long as weather permits, i'd rock out the shed man,

put some chairs in there, a table with a ash tray, and whatever else makes you comfortable(heater, insulation like you said)

and if it gets to terribly cold just smoke in that laundry room, i mean its not the most ideal to keep switching but i mean honestly, how often is he going to be stopping by?? and like you said, u get a 24 hour notice, youd be fine.

6. Where I live he legally has to give 24hr verbal notice before he can step foot on the property :hello: :smoking: I have been giving it more and more thought, and together with what has been said I believe I have a rough idea.

So as to avoid screaming METH LAB!!! (Thanks pipesmith and Buggalo green, made me laugh :D ) I was thinking if burying an all weather heavy gauge extension cord and running it to the shed (theres outlets on the exterior of the house). I have a couple of chairs and what not, but has anyone ever tried to insulate a metal shed? How did you overcome condensation etc?

EDIT: What are some other crucial item you would put into a shed / treehouse smoke spot?

7. If condensation is a problem, and you have power, get a dehumidifier, or a bucket of damprid. It'll stay dryer that my girlfriends vagina. (bone dry)

8. Get a small carbon filter and 4 in can-fan and put that bitch in the corner of your smoke room, have all the mates pitch in for the new security. You could have dead rats in room with a carbon filter and never know it.

9. #9 SpliffyPuffs, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2013
  10. Alot of landlords say that they can enter with 24 hours notice

Truth it, its mainly if theres an emergency or for maintenance or something.

They'll never come in just for the heck of it, thats still illegal

Just make sure you hide everything in a cabinet/drawer/closet when finished and thats it, they can't legally search your apt, they would only be in the kitchen/bathroom/etc if something needed repair or something

If you're inside toking, just get a small door chain so they can't barge in, and use a sploof/fan/vape

11. Valid point. I'm hoping to put an inconspicuous setup in the shed. What will look like a work area and tools with a couple chairs to the landlord - it'll be my outdoor chill pad in good weather. Does having a good plywood base help prevent condensation? Its a metal shed. If the floor needs repair (holes or rot) what can I do? Would I need to lift the whole shed and change the wood?

12. We had a shaping room for surf boards at the house I lived at last year...but then the guy who's name the house was in woke me up at like 4 am and was like "dude! you have to come over here with me!" So I did and he was like "I'm the devil right now" and he was smoking crack out of a can and I was like "Nope!" so I moved out of there ASAP and ended up in a homeless shelter and eventually to where I am at now.

13. if its a metal shed and your worried about condensation just seal all cracks with silicone gel and the put insulation up. to be extra safe run a small heater for a few mins before you smoke to warm the place up

14. Any particular suggestions? From what I gather, normal fibreglass insulsting batting junk won't work. I'm thinking I need foam panels, seal spaces with ducting tape and then vapor barrier?

15. Why don't you just blaze in your living room ? I think with the proper precautions you could cover the the smell to be kind to the neighbors and not have to worry about your landlord. It would be my first choice at least! :smoking: