New growroom

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by shell_09, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Hey all, i've found this forum to be very kick ass in nature, so i'm hoping i can get some good advice to how i should set up my grow room...

THings to get... LIGHTS- i hear lights are importent what is a good quality, but cheap light to use..
    planters- what is a good size to get
    fertilizer - i was going to get 20-20-20 is that okay to use? and how often should i use the fertilizer

any advice would help alot thanks!
    -shay out

(edit)
    ps. i don't have alot of space so i can really only grow like 1-2 plants at a time

2. hey man, ill try to help ya out with what i can...

1. Lights determine both the size of the plant, and consequently the yield. Also, i have read that it can affect the plants potency. The amount and the quality of light youre growing with is one of THE most important factors for a successful grow. I suggest an HPS son agro, as it incorportates a 30 watt filament to make up for HPS's lack of light from the blue spectrum. If you do not have alot of money to buy one of these beasts.. or if youre like me and are as confuzed as FOCK about how to hook the bastards up... just use flouros, although i warn you that your electricity bill will be sky high, and also theres heating and efficiency/lumina output per flouro problems.. i suggest staying away from em..

2. The size of the container you grow the plants in has alot to do with the size of the plant, and if you have a small container the plant will be crowded in and stunted.. im going to use 2 gallon pots.. whatever you grow in make sure its sterilized first, ive read some horror stories about dirty pots believe it or not... :S

3. and as for fertilizer... i dont know very much about that but heres a quote from overgrow you might find usefull:

"I highly recommend Genesis nutrients from Green Air Products. This 4 part product uses very high quality nutrient sources and is packaged concentrated to reduce shipping costs. This line lists the actual dissolved elemental ppm of your final solution, not just those misrepresentative N-P-K numbers as your only basis for determining elemental content.

Micro Base - nitrate based, chelated micronutrient solution. Also contains adequate N-P-K for general use. An excellent all around product for young clones or seedlings.

Part 1 - nitrate based grow solution. Calcium nitrate based for encouraging compact growth. Supplies high levels of calcium, magnesium and nitrate form nitrogen.

Part 2 - ammonium based grow solution. Ammonium nitrate based for rapid devolopment. Excellent for encouraging fast vegetative development and speeding up rejuvenation.

Part 3 - potassium based bloom solution. Potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate based for excellent burning properties. This product supplies high phosphorous levels."

3. Okay... so lights are really important? THANK YOU! i actually didn't realize how important the lights are to a plant... i have to use my closest, so i have a limited amount of space, since i'm a student i don't have a whole lot of money to spend on lights... can anyone give me some prices on lights (canadian please)... thank you soooooooo much so far!

-Shay out

4. well, depending on your situation, you can go one of two ways: you can find a lighting distributor nearby or in your town and order one in person from there, or you can order online.. online is usually cheaper, easier, and if you own a credit card faster, but its up to you whichever way you think is best...

heres a page with 12 different online lighting stores:
    http://www.yahooka.com/pages/Goods_and_Services/Growing_Supplies/Lighting/

heres a page with some more info on lighting:
    http://www.onlinepot.org/lightguide.htm

5. if i were you i'd go witha 3 gallon pot unless your growing S.O.G......3 gallon minimal, to help with the spread of the roots and aviod root lock......Peace out...Sid

6. Hey, I was reading over:

http://www.onlinepot.org/lightguide.htm

and it had a graph for amount of watts and subsiquent amount of dry bud obtained, and it showed on the gragh a spike at about 60w... now is that true? now if i combined a 60w bulb with a reflective surface around the plant how much yield would i get? I mean i'm not looking to get a huge amount, but i'd be happy with 20g or more. Now is that attainable?

-shay out

7. uhmmmmm... damn, i guess i pasted the wrong addy, kuz thats not the site that i wuz gona send ya.. im not sure if all the info on that site is feasable.. after going back to there... ive never even heard of a graph with spikes like that..

ive read like a hundred grow guides and most of them say that the more "luminas per square foot", combined with all the right conditions of temp, air quality, amt of moisture, ect.. thats what will give you more yeild, but the yield depends alot on the type of plant youll be growing too...

HERES a site thatll be 100% reliable:

http://www.overgrow.com/faq/browse.php?topic=101

:D

Peace Out

PS: if anyone else is reading this thread.. take a looksee at this graph here... does it look reliable to you? i think it sounds like a bunch of bull.. but the site its from seems reliable enough...

Attached Files:

8. I was wondering what kind of yield can i expect from like 60w-100w lighting with reflective panels around the plant

ps. that new site is really helpful, everyone USE IT FOR LIGHTING thanks!

-shay out

9. I'm assuming that the graph is based on watts per square foot, right? I don't understand why it would dip down at 70. IMO you can never have too much light...unless it's the wrong spectrum.

10. ya.. the more light the better as far as all of the grow guides ive read are concerned.. i think most people will agree when i say that light is the most important limiting factor when growing indoors... so pretty much(excusing temperature and electrical/cost concerns) the more light the plants are getting, the better. I dont know what that dip at 70wpsf is.. as it doesnt make any sense whatsoever..

PS: for vegetative growth lights should be on 18/6 (18 hours on 6 of total darkness) and for flowering the lights should be on 12/12.