New growing technique?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by In-Space, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Recently I've been puffin on some hash and spending a lot of time researching cannabis and growing techniques and stumbled on this:
    http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/sample.cgi/bipret/2008/24/i02/html/bp0703329.html

For those who cant be bothered reading it (its really long and scientific haha)
    basically they came up with a way of increasing production of secondary metabolites such as THC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_metabolite by applying a 30 to 100 MA current to the plant, as far as i know it hasn't been done or if they did its not easy to find hahaha
    some of the plants tested ranged between 1.2x increase in secondary metabolites to a massive 168x times increase, the tests were only done on a few types of plant, potentially when paired with a high lumen system and ferts etc could possibly be a easy way to produce large amounts of THC for medical or personal use, when made into hash may be the sort of smoke that puts you on your ass

If anyone has tried it i would like to know how it went because it has consumed my mind for days hahah

however if it hasn't been done i volunteer to do it (first dibs) hahahah

2. That is really interesting. Seems plausible but perhaps not practical for a home grower.

3. i was thinking just go and buy something that has a 30 - 100 MA current with 2 wires on the stem or roots, depending on how the plant reacts you could shock the buds into trying to protect themselves with THC but im no master grower, just someone with alot of time on my hands

4. thats very very interesting, anyone fancy giving it a try/designing a home made contraption? What is the voltage you need?

5. Give my some car batteries and some jumper cables, I'm going to toss them all into my reservoir!:devious:

I think the big issue we would have is scaling this up to something acceptable to growers. In that article did you catch the dimensions for the plexiglass container the pea plants had their roots in?
    That's hardly large enough for some hearty clones and definitely not a medium-large plant. I'd love to see a safe method of doing this, but scaling those plates up to something that goes into a 5 gallon bucket (or similar) safely and still provides ample current might get dangerous quickly. I'm also not a fan of metal plates in nutrient solutions. I don't need leeched metal ions finding their way into my plants and into my smoke, then to my lungs just to crank up THC production.

However, good luck to those who want to give it a shot. There could be some truly amazing results.

6. i am growing inside and i was thinking that there is not as much co2 in the room because there is no one living in this room, does anyone know if watering with carbonated water to incorporate some more co2 into the air for photosynthesis

7. Some seedbanks use electric currents to shock the plant inorder to make ferminized seeds. Its a current connected to .999 silver. I think this method would shock the plant but i can't say intill i've seen some proof.

8. This is more a waste of money. Some try baking soda and vinegar in 2 liter bottles, but I've heard conflicting reports of its effectiveness. A CO2 tank is really to 9only way to get the kind of ppm the plant is looking for.

Its a method using collodial silver. Interesting idea, heres some more info on it. The first is two silver coins attached to alligator clips hooked up to a 9V power supply, or current connected to .999 silver:

Yayyy! My first colloidal silver generator

Colloidal silver

Colloidal silver and auto flowering plants

9. i do belive it was 8-24 V tho it may have to be increased if the volume of liquid is larger to accomidate bigger plants

it uses Gamborg's B5 basal salts liquid medium (in that test) as far as i know salt is bad for marijuana therefore you will have to use fresh water which effects the conductivity. There is a possibility that you could use a small amount of salt to increase conductivity without affecting the plants too much but still gaining the thc increase

another thought i had was perhaps you could shock the plant itself by mearly putting 2 electrodes directly onto the plant outputting a 8-24v 30 to 100 MA current (you would need to experiment with that to see what works best)

i plan on recreating that experiment to a larger scale tho it may take a long time
    wish me luck!

10. That seems like it could work GhostGrower, using a device like that you could adapt it to shock the plants for 3hour shifts while the lights are on (wire it to your timer) tho woulnt the volts need to be higher to pass through a larger amount of water without loosing the strenth of the shock?

11. hahha.... omg... ok, I know I'm WAY FUCKIN HIGH...

But am I the only one reading this think'n - this is nuts?!

There are SOOOO many other ways to increase your bud's yield....other than electric shock therapy...jesus

12. Like I said earlier, a car battery and some jumper cables sounds good to me ;) :D