New grower with some questions (w/pics)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by MicRaDoT, Sep 24, 2012.

1. hey this is my first time gowing and i have two plants going, one that sprouted 8/23/12 and another that sprouted on 9/4/12. the first plant seems to be doing ok and looks normal and the 2nd seems to be doing good other than its starting to look like the leaves are drooping. It doesnt seem like its dying because all the leaves are firm and its still growing everyday. heres a couple pics, first is the plant from 8/23 and the 2nd is of the one from 9/4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. The second plant looks overwatered. How often are you watering? Also, you need to put a gentle fan on them to help strengthen their stems, that first plant should have a much stronger stem. HTH

3. Are those two plants the same variety?

4. #4 MicRaDoT, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2012
    i water about every 2 days. ya the first one does have a very small stem compared to the 2nd one and i thought it was odd considering it was planted first, ill give the fan a try, thanks. and to the other question i thoguht the 2 plants looked like 2 different strains to, i jus used some seeds out of a couple of bags of mersh i had but they dont look nothing alike. the 2nd plant is a more dark green and kinda jagged leaves and seems to be progressing a lot faster than the 1st,and the 1st one has only the 3 leaves branches and the 2nd one is sprouting 7 leaves branches is this normal? i just need to transfer the 2nd plant to a much bigger pot also.

5. if they both came from the same seeds, I'm guessing you have one male (big guy) and one female (slower growing)

6. Sounds to me like different strains if there were multiple bags it came out of (If I understand what you said correctly), you may need to treat them differently, the droopy one may just want less water.

7. ya thats what im guessin jus because they seem to different from each other to be the same. well the leaves are back to normal, no more drooping. thanks for all the responses!

8. that droopy one looks over watered. only water when the soil is very dry and the pot feels very light.. give it a good soaking when you do water though, let plenty of water run out the bottom. what light are you using?

9. im just using a few cfl's. i was wondering to is it good to trim your plant, and how do you know what ones to trim?

10. I would only trim when in great health, and also when it's a bit bigger so it will bounce back sooner. keep those lights close to the canopy :)

11. ok thanks!! i have the lights about 2-3 inches away, is that to close?

12. If anything, thats not close enough. Using CFL's you want them VERY close as the light diminished very quickly the further you go away from it.

and no, don't trim. Leaves are your solar panels. you need as many as possible.

Also, WTF straws in first pic? lol.

13. first one looks skinny, stretched out and fragile. second looks good but ya maybe a little too much water

14. at a guess I would say the straw is holding it from toppling over. that stem is soooo thin

15. PHP:
    keep the surface of the bulb and the surface of the leaves about one inch apart. and keep a gentle fan on them 24 hours a day

16. ya that first plant i had some trouble with when i first started it, when i tried putting it in a bigger pot it snapped in half on me so i put a little more dirt in it to cover the break and the straws were there for support lol, i have the fan blowing on em seems to be working already!

17. one more quick question, i was thinking about switching to an HPS light, was wondering what "watt" i will need to do the job on my plants

18. bigger the more yeild, i run 150watt hps last grow i yelided 6oz from 2 plants with training "alot of training"

19. kk cool, i found a 250w ED18 HPS light at home depot for only 30 a piece, think i might try out a couple of those.