New grower with a broken timer. Question regarding light.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by anonymous157, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Hey everyone,

So I'm a brand new grower. I do a lot of lurking around here, but haven't posted about my garden yet. I awoke today to a busted timer, the dial stopped keeping time and thus left my plants (~3 weeks into veg on an 18/6 schedule) in 10 hours of darkness. I've got four plants (cream caramel kush, OG kush, amnesia haze, Maui wowie), and the OGK has been badly wanting to flower almost since I got her. All clones.

So my question is: Should I jump into 12/12 earlier than I would like? The hydro shop suggested just resuming 18/6 and hoping for the best, but given my noob tendencies I'd just like some input from more experienced folks than I. I know 12 hours darkness is the magic number, but how close can you get to that while still maintaining vegetative growth? And what should I be watching for in terms of effects caused by the ten hours of dark?

I guess my concern is this: How and when will I know if I need to change the lighting to flower? If they decide to flower but I keep 18/6 going, what problems could I run into?

Thanks for reading and any suggestions offered

2. #2 Slick21, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
    Go 14/10.

3. #3 Slick21, Nov 20, 2015
    Gently break her into that. Like, right now. She will keep vegging, let her grow, another 3-4 weeks, then go 12/12.

Otherwise yeild will be small and pretty lame on the hit.

She/they are young enough to adapt back to veg.

Get a digital timer. 15 bucks max.

Just my 2 cents.

4. You can resume 18/6 with no issues.

5. Thanks for your help! Slick21, you're saying switch to 14/10 now and then 12/12 in another 3-4 weeks? What benefit would 14/10 have over 18/6? Like I said I'm brand new to this and trying to learn as much as possible, so I truly do appreciate the willingness to teach.

I'm with you on the digital. The timer is a Blueprint BMT-8, which offers four timed outlets (why I bought it). I figured that a mech would be just as good for my current current needs. First lesson learned...

6. I would just go back to 18/6 until I was ready to flower if it only happened one day. If it has been doing that for a week before you found it then I might consider flipping to 12/12.

7. ^That guy jay is right and everyone else in one form or another as well. Your plants would be fine going straight back to veg. Sure there could be a hermie if you have a super sensitive plant but good genetics are often stress tested until they meet their creators standards for marketing. I've had plants with no light mishaps hermie and plants with multiple mishaps not hermie.

8. Go straight back to 18/6. Youz can take a plant 4 weeks into flowering. Throw it on 18/6 and it will start to veg again. One day wont hurt anything. I think the guy saying 14/10 was saying do that for a day or twoand go back to 18/6. There really is no need though.

9. Great, I really appreciate all the help! I've resumed my previous 18/6 schedule, so we'll see. A couple of the girls have developed pistils (the OGK looks like it's beginning to flower already, but did before the light faux-pas), how does a plant react to continued vegetative light cycles if it REALLY wants to be flowering? I guess I'll see. :)

This community freaking rocks. Thanks guys and gals!

10. #11 The Widow White, Nov 20, 2015
    Nothing is going to happen. You have to switch the light schedule to 12/12 and keep it that way for a week or more to even throw them into flower. I have had power outages before longer than that with my clones sitting in veg in the dark and nothing happened. So, I would do nothing other than to continue to grow them the way I normally do. TWW