New Grower, need help!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by flintkak, May 28, 2012.

1. Hi everybody,

I am first time grower, currently I have 2 small seedlings, one about a week old, the other is 5 days old. Both are bagseed (possible different strains than eachother). Anyways my younger plant is doing good, it has even passed my older plant in size.

My concern is that I am going to lose my older plant, for 3 days now it has not grown at all, its leaves are a little yellow, and they are a bit droopy. I have researched a lot of material over the past few days but I still cant find a definitive answer to my problem and was hoping a more experienced grower could give me a little insight.

Lights: All CFL- 4x26w 500k, 2x26w 6500k (all are about 3in above the plants)

Soil: Started in regular MG, but moved into scotts hydroponix.

I have watered with water only.

Temps stay between 75-85 Fahrenheit.

I have a small fan blowing across the plants during the time the lights are on.

Pics** second 2 pics are the young hopefully healthy plant. The first 2 are the older, sick plant... notice the difference in color.

Attached Files:

2. Droopy leaves normally means your overwatering it, so i am gathering you try cut back on how much water your giving it and see if that works.

3. Thanks Jack I really appreciate the advise. This might seem like a stupid question, but would over watering also cause the yellowing?

4. No worries mate, well i am certain that yellowing is due to nutrients deficiencies sometimes water can have high ph levels and could cause this.

Sorry man i am kinda new to this aswell so just learning as i go, to tell you the truth if the yellowing doesn't get any worse i wouldn't worry about it. These are the early stages of growth you just have to be careful with what type of water you use i used bottled water on my first grow and was frequently getting yellowing from it.

5. OK so I haven't watered it in a couple days and the leaves are starting to perk back up, so that seems like a good sign. Perhaps the abundance of water also caused the nute deficiency.

However, the leaves are still yellowish. Should I just continue watering once the soil is completely dry or do I need to add some nutes to help get it back on track, from what I have read on other forums it might still be too young for any additional nutes.

6. great advice by jack :)

you shouldn't need to add any nutes till the 3rd or 4th set...starting lite ..at about 1/4 strength. Best thing to do is watch the little round leaves (cotyledons) and when they turn yellow it's time to feed. If they're yellowing already it's probably due to over watering or a ph issue...a fresh seedling has enough 'built in' nutes to grow to it's 3rd set or so.

7. Thanks Bongsauce, exactly the kind of answer I was looking for :)