New grower. Need guidance and help please!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ash9our93, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Hey everyone!

My name is Ash and I’m new to the cultivation culture and would love to learn everything about it. I’m a new grower and just recently started my first plant so i apologize in advance for this long post. I need guidance on how to maintain my plant and take good care of it to have good quality bud so I can start growing multiple plants at once. I had questions regarding a few different things and would love some advice as I’m a newbie to this so it would be great if you can help me out and explain things to me as if I’m a 5 year old. Heres a list of everything I have at the moment:
    1. Vivosun 36x36x72 tent
    2. Phlizon 600w led lights ( turned on during veg & flowering only)
    3. Oneo 100w led lights (turned on during all stages)
    4. 2 vivosun 4 inch 203 cfm fans with speed controllers & carbon filter (for intake & outtake fans. The intake is at the bottom and the the other fan releasing air outside is located at the top)
    5. Promix hp soil
    6. Taotronics cool mist humidifier
    7. 6 inch clip fans
    8. 3 pack with calmag general hydroponics nutrients
    9. Ph up & down kit
    10. Ph testing kit
    11. Tds meter pen
    12. Preciva digital ph meter
    13. I also have a dwc hydroponic system that I’m not using but if its easier to use let me know and i’ll set it up. Alfred horticulture 5 gallon
    14. 3 inch pots to use incase I need something smaller than what came with the dwc system
    15. Rockwool cubes
    I started my plant in the soil on march 25 in a red solo cup and here's how I’m maintaining it so far. Not a lot of watering because I know seedlings don’t need a large amount. My water ph was above 7 before and that was my fault but i just started watering with ph 6-6.5. I water maybe once every 2-3 days until soil is dry an inch deep and light in weight. No nutrients being fed either. Here's a list of details of what my setup is like:
    -Humidity is set between 55-70 when lights are on & off
    -Temperature is set between 23-30 Celcius
    -Light schedule: 18-6. Lights come on at 9 pm and switch off at 3 pm using a timer. Lights are located 12-16 inches away from the plant and adjust as it grows
    -The small 6 inch fans are on at all times. One is located on the ground the other is at the top.
    -Intake & outtake fans are being used while lights are one as temp goes over 30 celcius if they're off and they turn off when lights turn off. They're connected to the same timer as the lights.

So right now it seems like I’m having issues with my plant and would like to know what exactly I’m doing wrong. 1st issue I noticed is that the perlite in the soil is turning orange. 2nd issue is that the leaves are curling down from the tips as well as the sides instead of being flat. 3rd issue is that the tips look as if they're burned and turning yellow.
    I did some research and learned that it could be nitrogen toxicity, underwatering/overwatering. I’m not really sure tho how it could be nitrogen toxicity if I haven’t given it any nutrients yet. This will be the fourth week.

The help that I’m looking for would be guidance on how to fix these issues and help with the nutrients. I have no idea how often to feed them and then water them like I’m so clueless. If someone who has experience with the same nutrients I have please let me know how often you feed and how often you water without feeding and how much I should use. I’ve been reading that its recommended to start with half the amount that’s recommended on the package. Still need help with schedule. I will be transplanting to a 14 inch pot which I believe is 7 gallons.

Please also let me know if there's anything that I should change about what I’m doing or my setup. Here are some pics as well to help you visualize what I’m working with. Thank you all in advance and I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

thumbnail_image1.jpg thumbnail_image2.jpg thumbnail_image3.jpg

2. IMO- time to give it more root space.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. i just watered it today do you think its safe to transplant? I've never transplanted before, should i water the soil in the 7 gallon pot first before transplanting? do you happen to know why the tips are burning and turning yellow? is there anything that i should change about what im doing so far or the setup?
    thanks!

4. Update: I just transplanted to a 7 gallon pot.
    can someone please help me with the feeding schedule and how to do it? ive never done it before and im really clueless when it comes to schedules, amounts, and how to mix the nutrient with water like how much water with the nutrients and then use that to water the plants. my water ppm is 48 without any nutrients at the moment

5. youll want to use more water now like a litre min. but water less frequent like every 3-5 instead of 2-3 days. you need run off atleast 30%. water from the edges of container in towards the stem of plant u want the roots to grow out. take a slurry sample equal parts water and soil. use water you will be watering with. test ph. see the differwnce between the ph of the water before you mix woth soil and after. now adjust the water so that when it runs through the soil it is at 6.5 ph. as for nuits ur look like the want nitrogen and a little overwatered aswell. from the pics u provided givin this. if it was toxicity they would wilt like that but overall green is super dark forest green with lower leafs turning brown bronsish not yellow like urs. givin the age its proly a lock out only though so id fix the ph before adding nuits. and soils themselves can cause nitrogen toxicity because the pre nuit content of the soil. u fix by watering with 3 litres water no nuits to a 5 gallon growing pot for at least one to two weeks to flush the nitrogen out. that why u dont use miricle grow its usually water activated nitrogen so can be tougher to grow with. and stick with soil for now it is much more forgiving once u get down pack do some soil and some hydro so u dont have a complete bust while ur learning to do hydro its much different than soil.

Attached Files:

6. can someone please help explain the feeding process and schedule? im looking at dtw schedule but i need some clarification. if you can explain to me how to do it as if im 5 so i can understand that would be great

• Like Like x 1
  7. u wont need to feed much in the beggining if u have a good soil. on fourth or fith week u want to introduce atleast 600 ppm min. water once a week min lots of runnoff. increase ppm at week 6 to 800 ppm. using min 3 litres watering. (runoff is an essential part of having a healthy plant as the runoff water flushes out excess nuits mineral build up. and plant waste.) by this point u should be using bloom aswell. week 8 1000 ppm min with 3 litres water. ( water less frequently its better to water with more water less frequently then with little water more frequently it promotes root growth.) week do 12 to 1400 ppm or start flush. and so on this is just a basic and you may need to twinker with these ppm values at simuliar points in the week to achieve desired results.

8. so right now im in week 4. i just transplanted my plant to a 7 gallon pot and im currently working on the nutrient solution at the moment. my ph is at 6 and it reads a ppm of 33 so idk if theres something wrong my tds pen, eventhough i never used it before, or does 33 translates into 330.

with the flora series that i have im going to mix the 3 nutrients but im using the dtw schedule but im not sure if i should follow the dosages in the schedule or use half the recommended and move my way up.

for example in dtw flora series schedule it says in week 3 to use 5 ml of micro, 5 ml of gro and 2.5 ml of bloom. should i follow that or just do half the dosage so that its 2.5 ml of micro, 2.5 ml of gro, and 1.25 ml of bloom

how often should i feed and water. for example if i feed tom which is monday, when is the next time that im going to provide anything to the plants and if its going to be water or feeding, and after that and so on.

someone please help me as i dont want my plant to die :(

9. i go by weight i feel when i know its dry and watered and by the leafs they will look droopy at the stem first pic comapred to perked up second photo and over watered which are your photos drooping of the leafs at the leafs. its always good to start with half and work up it always easy to add too much.. and it depends what ur user manual says for the tdm meter ph for soil should be 6.5 runoff ph.

Attached Files:

10. These are some beautiful plants my friend!
    when i measured my water ppm with nutrients it was 311 and ph was 6.0 i didnt test the run off water. i'll test it next time. Now that i fed it nutrients the next time i give anything to the plant will be when the pot is light and it will be water this time then after that it will be feeding nutrients and keep repeating?

i really appreciate you getting back to me by the way, youre really helping me out here

11. thanks. id test run off before uping nuits caus 6.0 is low for soil 6.5 is the best range but u want that runoff to be at 6.5 ajust the ph of the water to make the run off 6.5. good luck happy growings man.

Attached Files:

12. #12 ash9our93, Apr 20, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    is it ok if you answer my last question about the feeding schedule like should i feed, water, feed, etc. or feed, water, water, feed, etc.?

also i just tested my run off water and it was 5.7 how can i make the run off water 6.5 ph

13. ot least once a week then water so if lets say ur watering every third day ur watering 5 times every two weeks. so it would be feed water water feed water water feed.

14. Thank you so much!

15. np dont hesitate to ask any questions gc is always here to help u out. happy growings man.

16. Sorry to bother you but I have another 2 questions regarding ppm and ph

I poured a gallon of water into a bucket and poured the nutrients in it in the right order then tested the ph and ppm. Ph was 6.0 and ppm was 311. If the drain to waste schedule states that whichever week I’m in its supposed to be 500 for example. I’m using half the dose they recommended so do I have to have my ppm at 250 or 500? That’s my first question

my second question is regarding the ph. The run off water’s ph was 5.7. How can I make the run off water come to 6.5?

thanks again!

17. with the ppm it can really vary on what ur plant is telling u those are recomended amount but its always good to sart at a lower ppm like 250 instead of recomended 500 because it will help reduce chances of burning. if u feel its lacking by symtoms like ex yellow leafs then rais the ppm to 400 if it persists then raise ppm to 500 and so on until problem is good or stopped spreading. next is time of life bloom uses more nuits then veg so ull have an increase in ppm when u switch to bloom aswell. as for adjusting take the water u made tk water. like 1 cup and take one cup of the soil from the plant mix and test ph. lets say your water was at 6.5 ph and you did this and it went to 5.5 ph. then take the water ur going to water with and raise the ph to 7.5 so that when it goes through the soil it is at 6.5.

18. So increasing the nutrients to increase the ppm that means increasing all the nutrients by a bit or just one of them? I’m mixing flora series, micro, gro, bloom and have cal mag?

19. all if no deficiencies are present but lets say u have a potassium deficiency. and ur using grow bloom and boost. and bloom has more pottassium. then u would use a little more bloom in the overall mix compared to grow and boost while upping all so if ur increasing from 6ml to 12 ml per litre then intead of adding 2 ml of each add 2 ml of boost 1 ml of grow and 3 ml of bloom. if u had a potassium supplement like propogater. then u would add 2ml boost 2 ml bloom 1 ml grow 1 ml propogater.

20. Sounds good. Thank you so so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions. Looking forward to see how this will turn out. I’ll keep you posted in this threat and post updates and if there are any questions I have I’ll just post in this thread with picture. Happy growings to you too man!
    Peace