NEW GROWER - I've Got some questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BudMASTAH, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Ok so I have been researching for a while now and I have just got some general questions that I could not find searching through the threads here on GC.

My first question is will a 2x2 spaced closet with about 5ft in height be enough space to grow 4 indicas lst'd with a 500w mh/hps bulb?

Second question is that im wondering whether or not you can plug a ballast into an extension cord. The ballast is going to power a 500w bulb so im not quite sure if a extension cord can handle that kind of power.

Third question. How long can I keep seeds for without planting them and how do I best preserve them so they can last longer.

I invite other people who have genereal questions about grower to post here as well. If you guys could help me out with my few mj conjuring ponders id appreciate it :D:D:hello:

2. I don't think you'll be able to fit 4 in there. You'd be better just doing one at a time. If you vegged long enough, you could make one plant in a 5 gallon bucket take up that whole space.

You will be fine with a large extension cord, not one of those puny ones with no ground. Generally, if it's about the same thickness as the cord for your ballast, you'll be alright.

I'm not sure, but I've heard of years.

3. Yes, but make sure the extension cord is rated for more then the watts your running thru it.

SignSmoker

4. thats what i was thinking. i have a orange extension cord that looks pretty heavy duty. im not sure of its wattage though. is there a way to check?

5. #5 HighTek, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2011
    I used heavy duty extension cords before. It will be fine for 500 watts. In a smaller space as that research on LST,Topping, and Supercropping. It will help maximize your grow. How many plants depends on style of grow. With ScRog u would do one plant and with SOG you would do as many plants that fit in that space and keep them smaller so you can add a lot. Seeds stored in a dark and dry place and they will last a long time. You can also put a silica packet in with them to absorb extra moisture.

Extension cords are rated in amps and based on thickness of the cord is how much it can handle.
    http://www.ehs.gatech.edu/fire/extension_cords.pdf

Amps = watts / volts
    ~ 4.454 amps = 500 watts / 110 volts
    Even the smallest cord can handle this small amount of amps. Get a heavy duty outside cord with a ground and you won't have a problem. If you have 220 volts then there is even less amps running thru the cord.

Edit: Another useful link on extension cords. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...Reels&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

6. should be a shiny looking sticker on one of the ends of the cord i think thats where you check the watts on it

let me tell ya, pissin with electricity is not a good thing to do lol

7. I agree which is why I broke down the math for our brother so that he has piece of mind when not at home. But the cord if new should have something saying how many amps it can handle. They have to because of UL I believe.

8. They say at the seed banks keep your seeds in a dark warm place such as your closet and should be good for at least two years, after that they lose about 10% fertility a year.