New Grower, Cfl, Closet Cab, BagSeed

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by Knee Deep, Aug 1, 2008.

1. I dont usually bump my threads, but im about to go shopping and i really need an answer to my last question, if possible.:wave:

2. Update: Im almost certain that i have solved my problem, I fed a couple days ago and it didnt seem to help the yellow signs of def much, so i started thinking that possibly my pH is off. The test i was using wasnt very good, and with a better test i realized that i was using Spring water with a pH of right at seven, with the added food it shot the pH up to about 7.2-3 Which i belive is locking out my nutes. So instead of getting spring water, i got distilled, i just tested its ph and its like 6.0 which i was happy with, im going to flush it with the distilled water, which i think will drop my pH back down, then when i feed again it should put my pH somewhere around 6.4 i think. So hopefully the def. wont continue anymore...Another thing that contributes to this theory is some recent spotting, which i before contributed to some kind of unknown pest.

3. Nice grow man, I hope the change in pH works out for ya. I'm really curious to know more about this whole banana theory haha.

4. The ripening banana produces ethylene gas which supposedly promotes female characteristics in plants. Some people swear by it (so much so that it's sometimes referred to as a "religion" heh). I don't think it's ever been proven but really...what could it hurt? I know I'm going to be using them when the time comes :)

5. Yeah I read the link posted to that other forum earlier in this thread, pretty interesting stuff. I'm not going to be able to start my own grow for a while yet, but I'm definately going to keep this theory in mind when I do. A lot of people seem to have sucess with fruit, let's hope Knee Deep does.:) I'll be following this to see.

6. Ok guys, Being the New grower that i am, im not sure at all about sexing. I have looked over all the charts, even some are posted in this thread. But i was just wanting some other growers opinion on what these preflowes look like to you.

Im just getting good at taking close up pics, i think they are clear enough to see.

So just tell me what you think, even if its just "to early to tell"

First the runt:
    [​IMG]

Shorty G:
    [​IMG]

Taller G:
    [​IMG]

Any ideas????

7. Thanks for the kind words, i hope they work too:) +rep....

8. #109 Knee Deep, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
    So on my camping trip i got to thinking about cloning plants, and how you have to clone a marijuana plant in veg stage i think. Well i ran in to endless fields of blueberry plants, and was thinking how sweet it would be to bring home cuttings for indoor blueberrys.
    Then i got to think if you cant take a clone from a ripe flowering cannabis plant, then could you not take one from a blueberry plant producing its fruit???? any insight, cause i would love to grow some indoor actual blueberrys:D Heres a couple pics of em:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and a nice as spot near where i set up camp
    [​IMG]

Just killin some time while smoking till the lights come on:smoke:

9. I love camping, I wish I had the time to go more often.

Well, you're looking in the right place to find sex. Those nodes with show eventually.

The main thing to do is be patient. If you see hairs then it's a girl. If more and more balls start to form with no hairs, then it's a dude.

10. #111 Knee Deep, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2008
    Day 3 12/12

Well i went to the store today to try an better some things. One thing i really needed was a hood and side lighting, but i was on about a 25 dollar budget. So i added 26x4=104 watts of side lighting and some cooking pans for hoods with a fan pushing air under it, and no temp rises so thats good. Also got rid of a couple 6500 bulbs i still had in there and replaced them. total wattage now is 364 watts of 2700k-3000k. That will be my total watts for the rest of the grow, hope it does me well.

Heres a couple pics of updated grow space. if these babies triple in size im gonna have to do some bending, ive got about 14inches left to raise the lights, but if it becomes a must, i can unscrew the ceiling and raise it up pretty easily, though it would be a hassle:D

side lighting:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ghettofyed hood:
    [​IMG]

Girls soaking up the extra light under the hood:
    [​IMG]

Peace out:wave:

11. Nice hood, but I wouldn't want all the ridges and bumps in it.

I'm so jealous of where you live. You could so easily get an outdoor grow going.

12. I was also thinking that, but i inspected it really well after about an hour of the lights running under it, and i think it will work well, but if i see any signs of heat spots ill rig something else up.

13. Reall cool grow you got goin on here. I couldn't see any signs of sex yet either, but I thought I may have seen the beginning of a preflower, the pic was a bit blurry. Lookin good though, keep it up and I'm curious to know if those aluminum pans are safe or not.

And btw, those blueberries look delicious!

14. #115 Knee Deep, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2008

Well comparing the pans to foil, they are about equivalent to the off side of foil, and much smoother, and they are so thin that they stay really cool really easy, so i think they are a good thing, ive been using them for about 3 hours and no probs thus far, but ill update if anything goes wrong with em....

15. Well I have spent the last hour trying to get good closeups of pre flowers, i know my camera is capable, i think i just had to big of a bowl again this morning.

On a happier note, a couple days ago i thought i had sexed the runt, while i was looking at the right place, i think it was more of a lucky guess than a proper sexing. When my lights came on this morning i carefully inspected each plant. To my suprise Taller girls preflowers had tiny little white hairs poking out the top, closer to the top, The lower part of the plant also has pre flowers but no visible hairs that i can tell. From what ive read this is normal. Comparing the preflowers of taller girl and the runt, im pretty sure the runt is also a girl, because the preflowers are very similar. Shorty However, is a little slower to show it seems, though she has been the healthiest up to this point.
    From what ive read males generally show first, so if i have properly sexed the other 2 plants, is it safe to assume that shorty will be a girl whenever she does show?

So Far Bananas have given me 100% using them from week 2-4, lets see if this holds true for Shorty.

16. #117 Knee Deep, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2008
    Well its day 5 of 12/12 i was finally able to get a good shot of a female preflower, Im not sure if you guys will be able to make out the white hairs coming off the top, but on my computer i can zoom in really far.

Oh yeh, assuming that i am correct on sex, then i got 3/3 females, so I dont know if the bananas played any part in this, but im gonna keep using them for any other grows i do.

[​IMG]

One more thing i would like to add, That picture is not the best example of my sexing, its only the clearest shot i could get, there are nodes that have 2 white hairs that are visible with the naked eye. Oh man im so happy, 3 out of 3 on my first grow, now lets just hope i can keep em healthy.

17. 3 outta 3 nice work ......
    Really sweet feeling eh ....

I just had 4 of 5 .... and the 5th one still 2 be out into flowering...
    Um almost sur its gotta be male tho .... But hell who knows ...

Right on man keep up the good work .....
    Can't wait 2 see some buds ...

Best Regards EazyGreen ....

18. day 6 12/12

Well Guys, I have to yet again change the status of my sexing. I was unsure of my 3rd plant though it was originally looking kinda femaleish, so i jumped the gun and said 3/3.

When i checked my plants this morning, it was clear my third plant was infact a boy...RIP Shorty Girl, my healthiest plant. Clusters were visable as well as the little star flower looking things that would eventually open up and pollinate.

As much as it sucks to get a boy, im not all that upset. Im looking on the bright side of things, I can now use my 320 some watts of light to more effeciently surround my 2 girls and get denser better buds, and a higher yield. So not all is bad on this day.

Heres some pics of the murder of an innocent little cannabis plant:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and on the brighter side of things, the 2 girls:
    [​IMG]

Have a good day everyone!:wave:

19. looking good, congrats on those ladies