New Grower. a Few Questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Aidsplox, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Hey GC, I'm getting my seeds Really Soon and had a couple Questions.

1. Best Nute for Noobies?
    2. When i Just Start growing How Long do i Keep The Plant Under 24/0 for?
    3. When should i switch from 24/0 to 18/6?
    4. When should i switch from 18/6 to i think is 12/12 or 20/4 i cant remember

Any Help Would Be Appreciated

2. 1. That's your call but a lot of folks use the Fox Farm line so there is always plenty of help and advice regarding those.

2. Again, up to you, the longer u veg, the bigger your plant will be. I veg for 8 weeks

3.When saving $ on electric become more important than big buds. I run a 24/0 veg cycle for the full 8 weeks

4. It's 12/12 and you switch when YOU think they've had enough veg time.

My advice to anyone new is to EDUCATE BEFORE PLANTING!! Which is exactly what you are doing, bravo. Also, I advise to construct and RUN your 2 environments,.....troubleshoot them BOTH b4 planting anything. Temps, humidity, air flow, light leaks, etc,.....address all that before you begin and it will save you lots of wasted time in the "growing pains" stages

Keep askin' Question's,....we got answers ;)

3. Thanks for your help.
    I've been reading alot of Inside Growing here but cant remember any of it lol.

4. If you read it, it's in there and it'll make more sense as you go along and see where the knowledge is actually applied.

Another good way to learn is to spend some time in the "grow journal" sections. Check out grows with similar set ups to what you want to do and read about the issues they ran into along the way or the things they did to ensure success.

5. Will do In a Bit right now I'm measuring out my Space Planing for everything :)

6. Education and building/troubleshooting BOTH environments before germinating any seeds is a huge benefit in lessening the "growing pains" of a 1st time grow. Saves lots of $ that would have otherwise been wasted on stuff you could have avoided. ;)

7. Hey could U help me find a Nice "Cheap" Nute?

I've been Looking and I'm Pretty much broke as it is Putting all my cash i have on me to start this so i can save money from buying

8. You get out of it, what you put into it. I personally love the Fox Farms line for the $

9. Post the Fox Farm Website i cant find it Lol. Please and Thank you.

10. Whats google? No But I Looked up Fox Farms and Like Hiddenfarm.com Foxfarm.com crap like that didn't know what one was right Thanks for the Site Its Pretty Cheap too : )
    Only About an Hour drive to go get some nutes now : D

11. I personally don't begin with nutes till about week 4 of veg. Plenty of time to buy those, you may want to concentrate your funds on building and establishing the 2 proper environments for now.

12. 2 Proper Environments?
    What do u mean by that?

13. A flowering room and a veg room. Can't have plants vegging and flowering in the same room. Flowering rooms need to be lightproof and veg rooms have lights on for 18 or 24 hrs straight

14. ohh. Yeah I'm a Big noob haha.

but I was Thinking that i can use the same Space But Have a Like Timer To Turn Off Light at a certain time of a day. btw. Im Growing in my empty Closet dont have that much room haha.

15. A lot of people are under the opinion that the plant cannot benefit from more than 18 hours of light in a day, they say a study was done that proves it. A lot of people here disagree with that. I don't know what is true.

16. LBH is giving you great advice. I will briefly put in my $.02 in answering your questions as well.

Don't play into advertising hype and/or allow the hydro shop people where you plan to buy your nutes at make you believe some of the higher priced nutes are magic potions. I get so much shit for this, but it all comes from those which have a handful of grows under their belts, I have literally 100's. Nutes are nutes. I have used everything on the market, and just got my test pack of the new GH organic line which I will use on my next grow. As long as you use a good 3 part nute regime and follow directions and schedules, or at the very least watch your plants for signs of deficiencies. The only nute line I do not suggest is Dutch Masters; it is weak in concentration when compared to other lines, so you use almost twice as much. Ionic, Fox Farm, Botanicare, TechnaFlora, etc... are all good lines of nutes and vary in price from shop to shop. Trust me, nobody makes a magic potion......NOT EVEN YOU BIG MIKE!!!!!

You can switch a plant to 12/12 anytime you want. Veg lighting does not matter; 24/0, 20/4, 18/6 will all veg. I run 24/0 in my small grow cab right now and they veg just fine. What is important is that you watch your height; reason being a plant will stretch during flower, if you have 4 ft of height between floor and a saf distance from your lighting, you will want to flower at around 18" - 24" of height. Plants will double, some strains even come close to tripling their height during the flowering period.

Depending on lighting used, your electricity costs will not be much different. HID's of 600 watts ans higher canmake a noticable difference, but T-5's, CFL, flouros, and HID under 400 watt and under make little if any difference. My 400 HPS added about $6 per month to my bill.

A check list to remember:

Good soil w/ extra perlite added.

A good nutrient line which supplies your 3 basic needs, pus it is god to have some Cal/Mag plus around for trace minerals and micro nutrients.

PH is your best friend so a PH kit or digi PH meter is very important.

Lots of attention, care, and love. Cannabis plants are like humans, they crave attention. The more attention and care, the better they respond.

Good luck with the grow.

17. Damn Less, your 400 only uses $6 worth of juice? That's awesome. Added up, I guess I have a lot of stuff running. 6 fans, 2x 400 lights (12 hrs a day), 2x 125 cfls, 4x 25 cfls and an air pump (24/7) and my bill went from $70 to $210-220!

I'm not complaining though as I eliminated my heating bill. My exhaust heats the whole apt :D

18. The light yes, along with fans, & T-5's it runs me about $10 per month total. This is an estimate off usage and the results of the meter reading from the bill. I moved recently, so I waited a full billing cycle without growing so I could get an idea. Over 2 billing cycles, my bill went from $58 to $70, that was with the light on 24/7. My bill avgs. about $68-$74 now. I do not pay for heat where I'm at.

19. Damn,....want a neighbor? We could share a big garage,lol.