new grow room q's

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jacob4rizzle, Oct 1, 2009.

1. hello all!!

I have set up a new room and have a couple specific questions. I have done a lot of research and I believe everything is good but I still want to explain the full setup and get some insight from an experienced grower or 2 or 20.... any help is much appreciated and needed as this is my first attempt at growing.

heres what i got -

ROOM - 4 x 2 1/2 with 7 foot ceiling
    LIGHT - 1 mh fixture with a 175 w or 250w bulb
    AIR / VENT - 2 - 200 cfm ultra quiet bathroom vent fans (for taking air out) and 2 - 4" inline duct fans (to bring air in)
    PLANTS - 2 white widows, more if there is room but looks like 2 will be the max flowering in the room

okay so the room is underneath the steps in the middle of the basement. the room has the finished basement on one side with the garage on the other. access will be through the garage. my biggest worry is smell. i can not have my roommate (or guests) knowing about this room and the only way would be by poor ventilation. i took many precautions when building the room to insure it is air tight - there is drywall on all the outside walls and the inside has a layer of blueboard insulation prob an inch and a half thick and all seems are insulated with foam insulation. that alone should be airtite! from there i stapled a thick plastic around the room to make it completely airtite and also foamed and taped any sort of seam or gap. from there the room was covered with some reflective bubble insulation with seems taped and insulated with the foam insulation. i truely believe no air will be getting out of the room as long as my ventilation is good. that is where my question comes in....

Will my 2 200 cfm bathroom fans fitted with homemade carbon filters pull enough air through the filters to replace the air in the room at a proper rate. i figured the one 200 cfm fan at the top of the room will pull plenty of air out especially with the 2 fans blowing fresh air in, but with the carbon filter i know that knocks the fans production down a bit... there will also be the 2nd fan but that will only be on when the light is on for it will be venting the light. also, i want to make sure the carbon filters on the 2 fans will sufficiently scrub the air because it will be vented outside the side of the house and my neighbor could smell it if it is not clean. i have considered buying a couple of the vortex fans with phreshfilter carbon filters. this would also cost an additional few hundred bucks so dont want to go there unless necessary. although, i do not want to find out my exhaust in insufficient once the plants start flowering and stankin! ---- I did go to the phreshfilter website and checked out what size fan i need for the room and it said 176 cfm is what i need and i have the 2 200 cfm fans. really hoping thats enough cause the plants are about ready to go in there. also to be noted about exhaust - there are the 2 - 4" in-line duct fans that will be pulling air into the room.... one will be pulling cooler air from the garage and one will be pulling warmer air from the basement - figured i could turn these on and off according to the temp in the room.

as i said any ideas, info, tips, etc are welcomed and needed! but i do promise that i have done a lot of research on rooms and feel that everything should be sufficient, but the exhaust is the one thing i can not have any problems with. and i do plan on doing a couple tests on the room and its ventilation before the plants go in there. also i have a thermometer setup and a light moving setup that are fullproof. also i am an electrician so i know there will be no problem with the power in the room.

well THANKS and cheers!!!!

-jacob

2. Just a little tip on smell before I head off...I havn't used any, but I've heard there's gels and whatnot that work great for getting rid of smells, that may be another thing to look into. I'm sure someone else on this site will have a specific reccamendation for you

3. thanks tizroo! im going to look into those however, im hoping my current setup will be okay, but since it is my first time growing, i really have no idea. I do not know how bad the smell will be.... or how much air the fan / filter setup will pull and how well it will clean it. from what i have been reading it seems like a pretty straightforward process and havent seen too many people with problems so im hoping i will not either. hopefully i am worrying over nothing. peace out........ CHEERS!

- JACOB :smoking:

4. Yeah also some strains are stinkier than others, I have no idea about White Widow though