New Grow Problems... Need Advice

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by LoveLife_smokebudz, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Hello all,

So I'll start out by letting listing my grow setup:
    1. 4x4 grow tent
    2. 600 watt grow light system with air cooled reflector 
    3. Mh & HPS bulbs
    4. 6 in vortex fan with carbon filter
    5. Pots
    6. 1 tray
    7. one fan
    8. temperature and humidity gauge 

Potting Soil (Soil-less Grow):
    1. Coco Coir
    2. Perlite

Nutrients:
    1. Flora Nova grow & Flora Nova Bloom 
    2. Root 66
    3. Magical

Plants:
    1. Blue dream- 2 weeks old
    2. Bubba Kush- 3 weeks old

Missing:
    1. Insulated Ducting
    2. PH and PPM meter

Background:

So I've had both plants for a week and 4 day now.

Bubba Kush Plant- Had thripes when I purchased it, didn't realize until I brought it home... never making that mistake again. I was able to kill them off with my fan and spraying them with water that I cooled off after I boiled it with garlic, salt and pepper seasoning. I transplanted twice from a Styrofoam cup to a larger plastic cup to its now permanent 3 gallon pot. I realized doing this in a week and half span stressed it out adding to its poor growth. I first began watering the bubba with a 1gal sparkletts water with added nutes of 1 eye drop of GH flora nova grow (7,4,10) and 3 drops of the root 66 (1,1,1). The next day I saw that all the bottom foliage had burnt tips which later spread to the entire plant. Since then I have been flushing the plant with arrowhead water for the last 3 waterings. It's been a week thus far so I've decided to begin watering with nutes again with the same sparkletts water. (Any other advice from experienced growers?) After the 3rd watering with arrowhead I plucked all the died leaves which were a few of the younger ones on the bottom. You'll see from the pictures that most of the bubba leaves are dark in hue, some have burnt edges and all have burnt tips. I noticed that one even has dead cell spots in the middle of the leaf. My question is what should I do at this point to help bring my Bubba plant back to life and have a stable grow?

Blue Dream: This plant is a fighter. It wasn't as sensitive as the Bubba to the Sparkletts water with nutes and it's been growing steadily. When I saw the Bubba's leaf tips get burnt I decided to also water the Blue Dream with Arrowhead (no nutes) for every other watering. I ended up watering it with pure water once and have been using the nutes for the last two watering. Just the past two days one of its bottom leaves turned yellow and looks now to be dead although its leaf stem is not. (See in pic 5) 

Temperature:
    Temperatures in my grow room also tend to be a little high 78 F at night and 82-84 F during the day with humidity in the high 40's and low 50's. 

Questions:

Do any experienced growers have any suggestions on how I should handle my current situation based on this information? I figured the nutes and water could be imbalanced and causing either nitrogen burn or lock out. If so what kind of bottled water should I be using? I dont have a ph or ppm meter at this point so I have to do without. Also, are my temps too high and humidity too low? I'm waiting on getting insulated ducting too cool the room down. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Only advice I've got is get an organic soil together.. Maybe buy some from build a soil... I don't see this getting much better without a ph /ppm reading to make sure you're feeding the plants right.... Soiless + no ppm /ph meter sounds like suicide to me personally.

However on that note, maybe snoopdog will drop in here with some better advice, I'm not very familiar with coco grows. But I can say that the LITFA method can do wonders for plants, just observe until something gets worse or something is out of wack..... Give the plant time to settle in before trying a new solution and keep an eye on the new growth.

135w UFO LED Micro Grow:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1308910-135W-Led--Organic-1St-Grow

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tenshuu,

Thank you for that information. You've given me a better perspective on my soil-less grow. PPM and PH meters are what I'll get to help fix this problem otherwise its like I'm driving blind. 

-LoveLife

• Like Like x 1
  4. You really should get a PH meter...I use cheap 10$ ph meters off ebay, they work great if you take care of them.

Your temps don't sound too bad....keep an eye on the topmost growth look for signs of any heat stress.

Is there anything wrong with your tapwater that you can't use it? Some bottled water will ahve very low ppms..which means there's no micronutes in there to help out the plant....people that use distilled or reverse osmosis or filter water generally have to add a calmag supplement. I recommend just using your tapwater if it's ok.

What's an eyedrop amount? It's important to be precisely measuring your nutes. I small plastic syringe for baby medicine...they work great.

I'd personally quit messing with it and just flush it with water ph'd at 5.8 ... then start with light feedings and work your way up slowly.

You might be able to get your light a little closer too, or boost the plants up...but it's hard to tell in those pics.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ya honestly it looks like you have over fertilized your plant a bit.  Get some flushing agent and try that out.  Then use some type of thriving mixture after you have leached the soil. Then back to a nutrient regiment after plant looks healthy again.  Check your PH.

• Like Like x 1
  6. In coco you water everyday... The same stuff that is in the 'GH grow' is also in the bloom. With coco you would just use floranova bloom and micro, no grow.

Dude, you need a measurement other than one eye drop lol. If you can't find a little ml measuring medicine syringe type deal, grab a teaspoon measure, a half tsp and a 1/4 tsp. 1 tsp is about 5ml.

You want to check out iron head's perpetual dream room here, on grass city forums (he won't bite I don't think). Also check out 'h3ad goes coco' on Icmag.com.

• Like Like x 1
  7. In coco you can actually cause more harm leaving it sometimes... One benefit of coco is the speed in which you can turn a deficiency around. On the contrary, plants can die pretty fast in coco if not corrected. To me, it looks like your plants are suffering from a case of flushing. Start feeding them again. Check out h3ad goes coco, it tells you all you need to know about growing marijuana in coco coir, and then some.

• Like Like x 1