New grow, LED, advice?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by keitanakano, Oct 2, 2011.

1. I have grown using CFLs, too small space, too small containers.

I am growing outdoors for the 2nd year.

Now I want to try LED light. I want to build it from individual power LEDs.
    Would 300W LEDs be enough?

I used 200W to 600W CFL.

The space I want to use is:

length=1.50 mtr
    depth=60 cm approximate
    height=1 mtr to 1.30 mtr (I can vary it a little)

I also plan to place soil bags directly to use as much ground space as possible and to keep it flat.

-Color of LEDs? I have seen information red and blue LEDs are best. White LEDs= no good? Because I can get a good deal for white LEDs.

So what I ask is if it would be a helping to use some white LEDS, some red and blue LEDs, or white LEDs and some CFLs. Or is it better only to use red/blue LEDs.

2. If you go red & blue instead of white, you have to be very particular about the dominant wavelength it produces.

Most blue LEDs are 460-475nm but the plants needs 453nm light (450nm is the closest commercially available LED I could find).

Same problem with red, commons ones are 620-630nm whereas plants need 662nm. There are a few 660nm red leds out there, but they are hard to come by.

If you go white, you'll need to check the spectral graph for each LED individually to find the one with the best energy output peaks at 450nm and 660nm.

3. Hmm I intend to buy off the LEDs from eBay.
    There are 1w to 100w LEDs.
    However I have a carrier base available (sheet metal).

When I use many smaller LEDs I can distribute the heat evenly.

And the exact wavelength is unknown.
    Maybe I will install mainly white LEDs, and a few red/blue LEDs.
    Also I found some interesting UV tubes on eBay.

4. #4 TranceKid, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
    Don't use 1w LEDs. At least use 2w if not always use 3w. :)

Heres a good place to start. (wavelengths)

(420nm/439nm/469nm/483nm/3000k-3500k/642nm/667nm/680nm/720nm)

5. I'd go with the white LEDs in that case. A combination of 'cool' and warm' bulbs should get you good coverage.

300W of LEDs will be insanely bright :)

6. 300w of LEDs is a lot! Be careful if using 3w diodes....they can light burn your plants and should be kept no lower than 10-12 inches away from the plants.

I would only put a few white diodes in there.....I'd stick with lots of diodes of different spectrums.