New Grow Coming Up

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by IlL HaZE, May 23, 2009.

1. Hey guys! This is going to be my second grow. My first grow was pretty much an experiment and a learning experiance that did not leave me with any bud. The little bagseed sprout died in Miricle Gro potting soil. I will be using a 400 watt HPS for veg and flowering. I heard this is not ideal but it would work. Based on reviews I ordered from the attitude and I got: BUDDHA SEEDS WHITE DWARF FEMINIZED, Lowryder#2 x AK47 EASY RYDER Feminized Auto Flowering Dwarf, Seedsman Seeds White Widow Feminized, Barneys Farm G13 Haze Feminized, G13 LABS QUICKSILVER AUTOFLOWERING FEMINIZED SEED, and GIGABUD FEMINIZED SEED. All of these seeds are single seeds. I finally located a grow shop about 30 miles away from my home and recently made a trip there to pick up FoxFarm Ocean Forest potting soil and Bat Guano. Any tips are appreciated! :smoking:

2. What's up Haze?

Based on your post, I'd say you've already made some important corrections for the second grow. I'm not sure what you did wrong the first time, but you are definitely off to a good start on your second grow.

The 400w HPS will do a fine job in veg for you. If vertical space is an issue, and because a HPS in veg will promote extra vertical growth, you may consider some techniques for keeping your plants nice and compact.

Get back to me and tell me a little bit about the space you plan to grow in. Thanks and good luck! :wave:

3. What up Fox!

I'm going to be growing in a closet. I believe horizontal space might be an issue as well as vertical. I have about 40-50 inches of vertical space and about 20 inches of horizontal space. Any tips you find suitable to share with me I will appreciate! :)

4. That's a pretty small space for a 400w. It's doable, but you're going to need to control the vertical growth of your plants. Early topping/FIM'ing and/or some good LST will be required from the early stages to keep those under 4 feet when you begin flowering.

5. Thanks for pointing that out Fox!
    I have a few auto flowering seeds and I shouldnt have to worry about them getting too big but I am curious in the methods you posted. What's LST and topping? I also have a couple of non autoflowering so that information should be useful.

Thanks for helping me out man!

6. Topping is the process of cutting off the main stem slightly below the very new growth but above the existing growth (essentially, cutting off the top of the plant). The plant will spend a few days where vertical growth is completely halted and 2 new colas begin to grow from the main stem.

LST is a low stress training technique wherein a grower uses plant stakes or ties to control what direction the stem grows. A proper and fully LST'ed plant will have a stem that, because it wraps around the pot in a spring like fashion, is twice as long as it appears. There are an infinite number of ways to LST a plant.

7. #7 IlL HaZE, May 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2009
    I want to hear your opinions on my grow setup. I now made a lot more vertical room in my closet by raising one of the bars. My 400 watt HPS is about 24 inches away from the grow bags. I will be growing: white dwarf auto, LR x AK47 auto, quick silver auto, barneys g13 haze, and seedsman white widow. My 400 watt HPS should cover 5 plants right? So far the white dwarf and the LR#2 x AK47 have been planted because they were the first to show the tap root. I am going to use an 18/6 cycle for the entire grow until the autoflowering strains are ready then I plan to switch to 12/12 to let the other strains flower properly ;)

Any advice is appreciated

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Whenever anyones ready... I'll be here... Waiting all by myself :wave: