New Age Philosophy is Wrong , Whos up for a friendly debate?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by windchime159, Jan 17, 2011.

1. #1 windchime159, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2011
    I know for a fact that theyre are several people on here that i have had great conversations with that follow whats called "New Age Philosophy" im sure you guys might have other names for it [or a lack of a name for it idk]

many of my beliefs center around Taoism Buddhism forms of Yoga and Occult philosophies and more recently , which has caused a shift in my way of thinking , Kabbalah. these share many things with New Age Philosophy but i have come to the realization [or more of a concern that i wish to look into by means of a arguement] that some ideas that make up the core of the philosophy are wrong and not only are they wrong but could be of great detriment on the tao for those who follow it

i would like to argue with someone who has strong beliefs in these ideas , to name a few people budsmoke thejourny pezzpurb or whoever feels they know enough about it from an internal perspective [meaning its what you believe]

to make sure iggnorance is not a factor in this arguement please explain the essance of the philosophy to me in your eyes so i can understand the best i can
    Edit: please do not argue by means of posting a video or a link , if a artical video or book is in tune with what you think please word the idea in your own way , not trying to be a jerk or a prick its just a pet peev of mine and i want to have more a down to earth conversations

2. Why do you believe they're wrong as suggested by your title?

3. i didnt do that because im not sure if my ideas and perception on the philosophy is completly right

so i asked for a run down on the philosophy so im not iggnorant when i say why i find it wrong

4. #4 ete23, Jan 17, 2011
    I can see why some think reality is an illusion of sort. A space/time that the observer can really interact with. It all seems to make to much sense, in the sense that you literally, sense reality. This leads to idea that there is a potential purpose that exists outside of reality that governs the laws of reality in the universe. The meshing of everything in existence gives the observer a sense of oneness with the universe, because, as a whole, existence is that ONE flip that lands on potential, rather then non-existent potential(absolute nothingness).

i get the impression that this universe had a beginning, this is proven by radiation from heat, during the initial reaction, it just wasn't conscious of it's own reality until it evolved a consciousness. The human consciousness is the most important we know, because, it's our own. An observer is born into reality with an individual consciousness. We assume that when an individual consciousness dies, that because they became conscious of reality, they can never become unconscious of it. Freewill is relative to the observer. They can think they have freewill or not. 'Nothing' can be proven to exist outside reality of the universe.

MY explanation to existence is simple, we exist because the universe exists. The universe exists because it just does. The potential of the observers reality is reviled through an observers applied ideas to reality, the ideas that work pass on through generations, as well as the ideas that don't work, not to an absolute truth, because frankly the only 'absolute' truth is that existence exists, instead of nothing existing.

Something expanded from 'absolute nothingness' to create a space/time reality. The expansion was caused by a reaction. There is always potential for something to exist, like the universe. This is proven true by our existence.

Practicing philosophy is the ability to reason. You can't reason with nothing, therefore philosophizing why there 'is' instead of 'isn't something is unreasonable. its the forces of nature which govern evolution in the universe, its up to the observer to understand them correctly. not for nature to understand itself, because, obviously it can or it wouldn't exist.

tl;dr LOVE

5. #5 windchime159, Jan 17, 2011
    i guess it is unfair for me to ask people to spill what they believe without me posing a arguement first.... so for the sake of proper internet debate edicate

iv found that a large issue with arguing about this is that you can basicly use the same words to word both the ideas because the difference is so subtle and so unnoticable that the broad nature of words cannot really help

like using a butter knife to split an atom

this concept exists in my head not as words so sorry if the following just sounds retarded...
    i feel as though the new age philosophy teaches the oneness of reality in a subtle pridefull manor that leads its followers to a way of thought that slowly and subtly removes the agknowledgment of a source in which it is mans nature to receive and return love from

this is my main point i think but again it would be great if i could get a down to earth explaination of the new age philosophy that i didnt just have to read off the internet

6. Maybe someone could define New Age Philosophy?

My opinion on the way we think : we all have perceptions which has been manifested by our physical influences in life. Most of us believe our perceptions are different, some of use believe our perception are right. But at the end of the day you can only vaguely (maybe truly) be right when you know the truth and the truth being the space and matter between our perceptions seen with a mind free from all physical influences.

The minute your identity which is fueled by emotion and physical influences takes a hold of the subject it can only be interpreted by you or someone who has had simliar experiences to you. Some people can see above these differences and add them up to get a sort of universal picture as there is no self influence so the message is clear, as all thought is the same its only separated by perception.

yea maybe some holes in this idea but this is generally how i see it when our minds are all clattering together. Look at how i get accused of speaking with arrogance but from my perception its just your ego thats fueling the emotions cause you think im attacking your identity but your identity is yours alone you can not judge another man cause you feeling like you being attacked your identity was created by your perception on reality.

But also the other thing i think, is that we can never be right we can only have faith that we are right. There is far to much confusion in this world for anyone of us to be right, and this includes me but this wont stop me from putting my opinion out because my perception is mine i created it and i want to show it to the world like im sure you do too.

7. would you further elaborate on the bolded section? from what i gather it seems you view new age philosophy as arrogant and ultimately a means to separate individuals from a "source" which i don't understand.

8. this is what i wanted to happen before the thread even started..... like i wanted it to be
    up there , next to the OP
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but i was immediatly told to give a reason why its wrong first..... so whatever...

9. #9 thabosshogg, Jan 17, 2011
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGXsmQE1Fqo]YouTube - Flowery New Age Bullshit - A New Matrix For Those Not Yet Ready For Liberation [1/2][/ame]

This sums up my feelings of New Age Philosophy, mainly the latter part of the video. I do think he is a little too condescending, but I can see why he is upset.

Let me say this though. Everyone has to start somewhere. I could have been considered a New Ager, actually I essentially was a New Ager, when I first started my spiritual seeking. I started with something true and pure, but then I delved too far into words, and identities, and assumptions.

Fortunately I was able to escape that whole ideology but if it weren't for the New Age stuff I wouldn't be where I am today. The path to awakening is a constant journey, every time you think you are awakened and have it all figured out something will occur that makes it all come crashing down, only to be rebuilt back up again, even greater than before, until you reach a stage where you have nothing else to learn.

I can't speak for anyone on this board, I haven't been browsing S&P much lately so I don't know if any of the people you listed qualify as "New Age".

All I have to say is, if you are a New Age person, start listening to yourself, and discovering what is true yourself. Only take to be true what you know to be true, what you have experienced. Don't assume that what others say is correct just because the personality complex of "enlightenment" appeals to you.

"He who knows does not speak. He who speaks, does not know" - Lao Tzu.

New Agers tend to be the ones who speak.

However, don't be too quick to label someone as a New Ager either. There are many good philosophies that New Age has adopted that shouldn't be looked down upon or assumed to be a New Age philosophy just because it's part of the NAM

10. i would love to elaberate but what you just said is why i wont and didnt even want to say that , im not sure i fully understand the idea as i have only read about it online and on some threads here

please explain the ideas of monoism and pantheist from the new age perspective so i can understand myself better and this debate can actually start....

11. can you explain the ideas in your own words , iv seen videos , iv read articals.....

i want an actuall conversation not links......

and please , everybody..... no links....

12. #12 thabosshogg, Jan 17, 2011
    I'd be glad to.

New Age people (and let me make sure I say that the label of New Age is shitty, many people get labelled as new age just for sharing a few ideas with them) are caught up too much in mind.

I can speak from experience as I was one. Often times New Agers will hear about really far out stuff that other people claim to have experienced (astral travel, meetings with interdimensional beings, energy fields, chakras and control of their energies, telepathy, picking up on vibrations, frequencies, 2012 and a new consciousness, we are all one, etc...) and they instantly believe these things and start telling everyone about them.

It's one thing to have actually experienced the aforementioned things. The issue is, many New Agers haven't, but that doesn't stop them from incorporating it into their New Age persona, and acting like they know for a fact that it is real and true.

Do they really understand why we are all one. Or did they just read it in a book they picked up in the New Age section of Barnes and Noble?

Why are they all so sure of this shift in consciusness in 2012? What leads them to believe that this galactic alignment will "open us up to new energies"? Because they heard about it in a youtube video?

Another problem is they tend to create the identity for themselves as "enlightened", or whatever you want to call it. It is the messianic complex. They think that they are better than other people because they have this "esoteric" knowledge. They say they know "oneness" and that "all is one" but yet they seperate themselves from everyone else, seeing themselves as special and better. It's very dualistic, when the beliefs they talk about following are supposed to be non-dualistic.

They treat those who don't "love" as much as they do and who aren't as "enlightened" with disdain. They are very argumentative. They get incredibly pissed off and worked up if you criticize their beliefs. Is that not proof enough that they have some serious work to do?

Unfortunately when you ask them to further explain their experiences they get stumped, because they don't truly understand what it is they are saying. They are just repeating what they have heard. They are caught up in ideas instead of experience. The words they are so caught up in cannot begin to describe the things they talk about.

They act like they are Love, like they are enlightened, but it's just their mental image of love and enlightenment, not the real thing. It's just another personality complex they get caught in, just like a jock in high school who has the personality complex of "Superior Athletic Jock", and is looking down on all the nerds because they aren't as strong. But his strenght is fleeting and it's only an outer image, emotionaly he is very unstable (at least for this example he is :p).

It's like they are wearing a costume of a tiger and saying "I am a real tiger, I have the stripes, I've got the orange fur", and I say, "But I can see your face and your hands sticking out of the costume".

I am not upset with them. I just wish they would see that they are holding themselves back from their true potential.

13. this was a good post but thats a different issue but what you said is true non the same

this could be used to say that most new age thinkers are fakes but if they ''heard" it from somehwre there must have been at least 1 person who expiranced it

i come from a very similure standpoint although i never got into new age ideals i stuck with traditional teachings and personal meditation but i feel that i fell into the hole of self rightousness you explained and have just seen it for what it is...

iv found that alot of the ideas are right but the way in which you approach it.... is very very important and dangerous

there is a reason christians fanaticly accuse the new age philosophy of being 'the devils religion' and you can see it in the story of the fall of lucifer , he was the highest angel of unmatched beauty and wisdom yet because of pride and wanting to be god he fell from his place , we let our knowledge swell our hearts with the fire of pride and we slowly start to remove "god" from our thoughts because we take the term 'we are all one' wrong and assume "i am god'

but the truth is the very nature of man , is to give back love , and when in our minds we start to veiw ourselves as god and ourselves as one , we stop letting the love flow outward and inturn we lose the love of god being given to us

the tao is enough to sustain us fully , but only when we stop trying to sustain ourselves

"if you want to be made whole , first you must be empty"

14. Indeed.

It's a slippery slope that almost anyone can fall into, not just New Age people.

I'll quit posting and let some people who are more into the new age stuff respond, as it seems you are more looking for one of them to actually share their ideas and why they believe what they do.

I too am really interested in hearing some responses.

15. thanks , feel free to jump in

16. I'm not new age but i'll post anyway.

I take bits from any philosophy that resonates with me, tao te ching, buddhism, small part of niestche's (spellcheck) writings... And generally try to keep an open mind, but if something seems contradictory or ridiculous to the point of 'what the fuck is this shit' then i'll rule it out.

A case in point in scientology or anything written by David Icke, which is basically bullshit.

The gripe I have with some new age philosophies is they all seem to be waiting for something, be it a cosmic shift, universal love or the end of the world. Real change starts within, if people want the world to change they need to start trying to change it, at least the small part of it they can. It reminds me of cartman's anti-hippy quote (i love hippies btw, i'm jjust illustrating a point)

"Hippies, they want to change the world but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad".

While that's obviously a vage generalization it rings true of some new agers i've seen. They all want to change the world but do nothing about it. Like the people who say you should help the homeless but never give them money or volunteer. Apathy is the enemy of progress. It's not true of all of them but some people take it too far, the 'we must dedicate our lives to seperating ourselves from our ego' thing is all well and good but some people do it to the neglect of everything else. You can't meditate away the homeless or people suffering, and some new age schools seem to forget that helping people in need is much more important than meditating and yoga towards creating a better world.

Some of the new age theories out there tend to be a little insane too.

Just my thoughts.

17. im looking for the core of it , the idea of monoism and oneness

because that is where it really matters..... what you water the root with effects the entire plant

18. The new age movement is severely misunderstood, which likely has to do with the religious status its been given. Based on my experience, new age spirituality has important knowledge which acts as a catalyst for wanting to know more. Aspects I find to be most true pertain to conscious intent, and telepathy.

My spiritual journey started with philosophical talks, surprisingly all related to new age beliefs (I.E. consciousness, synchronicity, intention, perception etc.) After noticing how much my perception of reality affected my surroundings, it gave some validity to new age beliefs.

Itd be nice if you had specific grudges against the New Age for me to address. One thing to note as with any religion, some validity exists and some doesn't, it's up to the individual to take away knowledge from their lessons that ring true to their self

19. Post to subscribe. Waiting for this thread to unfold if it does.

I'm not new age at all lol, too much hippie nonsense which is just basically glamorizing transformation of the false ego in a impermanent way, like polishing a turd. I prefer that which can be done in a scientific way, as in "if you do this and that, this will occur, and you can verify this esoteric thing with this method" instead of taking everything on faith permanently.

The one new age idea that I can't stand is the "global consciousness shift of 2012" where all of a sudden, against the very laws that govern this Universe, everyone will become a "tree hugging hippie" as Cartman would put it lol. If you look to Nature, you'll see that nothing changes in any significant way by any other means than slow and steady evolution. To think that the alignment of planets that are governed by these Laws will somehow go against those laws that rule them is ludicrous in my eyes.

The world will be hit by an asteroid in 2012 before the very laws are defied by the lower laws, only the Higher can overrule the lower. For example vibration can counter-act rhythm, but mentalism controls vibration.

20. ah trig im glad you posted , and i agree it is nonsense

alot of the books you suggested in your threads have been amazingly useful to me like the kabylion and the 7 universal principles that you were just talking about

but yeah im really just waiting for budsmoke or pezzpub to get on here or somone else really into it