Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Never Cook With Moldy Weed

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Skunky Monkey, Oct 19, 2011.

1. So if you get some moldy weed, you can make hash but you cannot cook with it, when smoked you kill most of the harmful bacteria but if you eat it that's when mold it most toxic.

So never cook with moldy weed :smoke:

Obvious i know but just wanted to get the word out there.

2. I'm sure you're right, but can't you eat moldy cheese and shit? What's the difference

3. It's a different type of mold, the mold grown on cheese is harmless but the mold that grows on vegative matter is not, also there are loads of types of mold, you could have harmless mold on weed or mold that will kill you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I have eaten mold on weed. And i survived. I think that if you cook the oil at a high enough temperature for a long time and strain the plant matter you kill the mold. If the weed is super moldy then yea hash it. But with just a bit of mold i think its okay.

• Like Like x 1

5. Not worth it, and you probably wont "die" it's just very bad for you and some types of mold can kill you. In high dosages.

6. I just harvested my blue hash plant and i was so excited about my fat ass main cola only to find about half of it has mold on the inside :(

So are you saying it is ok to make hash (I would QWISO) with the moldy but, but not to cook with it? Or not to do either with it?

I just want to some clarification so i don't hurt myself.

If it is ok to make hash out of it, is there anything i should do to it before hand? I have read somewhere to bake it in the over around 300 for ~15 min to kill some bacteria. Any idea about this?

Thanks!
    ~ac3

7. Yeh hash is fine. Or so i have heard.

8. Micro-organisms form to make mould and like Skunky Monkey said, there are millions of types of mould and they can have a serious effect on your health. Nice topic broh.

But cooking with mouldy weed will most likely make you ill because of all the bacteria, it isn't worth it. 3 hour high with another 2 weeks of a stomach infection. There is no point risking making edibles with it whereas hash would probably work. Good luck if you do make hash though!

• Like Like x 1

9. Any personal experience, or just word of mouth?

10. if your making qwiso the alcohol would immediately kill any harmful bacteria. thats mainly what its used for, a disinfectant. you probably COULD cook it but it would be way too risky. it would have to be at the right temp for the right amount of time. stick with qwiso for moldy weed

• Like Like x 1

11. I have actually tried it, however there wasn't much mold on the weed i used. If it was covered with mold it's useless.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Made firecrackers with about 2gs of moldy weed and it didnt do me any harm, but I guess it depends on the type of mold. Tasted a bit funky though.

13. A few quick notes from a microbiologists perspective....

1. Mold is NOT bacteria. Mold is a eukaryotic microorganism not a prokaryotic organism. It is therefore an entirely different type living organism, much more closely related to fungi than bacteria.

2. Mold doesn't really care about food items (moldy cheese) vs. vegitative matter. It cares about moisture content and viable substrate. Therefore the same types of mold will grow on both cheese, and marijuana buds.

3. There are many types of mold, some more harmful than others. All are abundant in nature and our surrounding environment. How harmful it is to ingest is based on the type of mold, and amount of contamination.

I'm not so sure about the assertion that smoking the mold kills all harmful elements, yet eating it is somehow more toxic. when smoking you are likely to inhale viable mold spores into your lungs.

a little bit of common house molds (like found on bread) wouldn't scare me. A large amount of some wierd dark looking mold would be a deal breaker.

• Like Like x 3

14. [​IMG]

15. [quote name='"frankenfish"']if your making qwiso the alcohol would immediately kill any harmful bacteria. thats mainly what its used for, a disinfectant. you probably COULD cook it but it would be way too risky. it would have to be at the right temp for the right amount of time. stick with qwiso for moldy weed[/quote]

Make qwiso then make a potent single serving edible. Winning ?

16. if the bacteria gets destroyed by the flame, then you could just smoke the buds as normal? no?

17. Someone didn't RTFT before posting :devious:

18. Would it be bad to grind moldy bud orvshould I just use a throwaway grinder? I have 15g bud that I'm making qwiso with

19. Okay, so I have a question, I was gifted a decent amount of trim that I am using to make cannabutter. I am not sure if the weed ever had mold, but one grocery bag full, when I opened it, had a really pungent Lysol smell. The bud did look more moist then the rest that I have gotten, but I have. Ever seen mold before and am freaking out because I don't want to get myself or people I care about sick. None of the rest of the trim had that smell, but now, when I decarb in the oven, I feel like there is a hint of a smell. I have been investing it for more than a week, testing and sampling, and I feel fine. No flu like symptoms. But then I think, I had some stomach issues, but nothing serious and maybe I am just freaking myself out. So what I thought was because I make butter using a water extraction where the water and butter mix and then the thc goes into the butter while everything else goes in the water. This would in fact filter the spores (if any) into the water, wouldn't it? Thank you.

20. I'm still wondering who started these "moldy weed" threads. Either smoke it, eat it, or flush it. It won't kill you either way.