[Netflix Instant] Foreign Films

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Twistedd, May 15, 2013.

1. #1 Twistedd, May 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2013
    This past year I've been getting into foreign films quite a bit, a lot more than Hollywood films. I've actually stopped watching all major film releases due to a lack of taste and interest for me. Here are a few films I've enjoyed so far. If you would like, please add some as well.

Please keep the language foreign and as few English-language films as possible.

French

Army of Crime

German
    The Last Train (Der Letzte Zug)
    Sophie Scholl
    Downfall

Korean
    Tidal Wave
    Maybe
    Love Impossible
    A Moment to Remember
    Norwegian Wood

Chinese
    Aftershock
    A Beautiful Life

Vietnamese
    The Scent of Green Papaya

Thai
    Bitter/Sweet

English
    Masterpiece Classic: The Diary of Anne Frank

Documentaries

Arabic
    5 Broken Cameras

2. Hindi
    Singham

Japanese
    Battle Royal

Cantonese
    Ip Man

Korean
    The Man from Nowhere

3. #3 Twistedd, May 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2013
    I can't believe I forgot Ip man. That was a pretty good one. How is 'Battle Royal' and 'The Man from Nowhere'?

Have you seen that Jackie Chan movie '1901' I think it's called?

4. #4 DJMax, May 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2013
    Battle Royal is entertaining, action thriller, but has moments where it seems it's mocking itself. I happen to like it. After watching Battle Royal, it made Hunger Games seem like a ripoff. Same concept of "games". At one point in Battle Royal, I thought I was watching Hunger Games. (yes high)

The Man from Nowhere is violent with a lot of action and well choreographed fighting.

Haven't seen that Jackie Chan movie. I did recently see Jet Li in Flying Swords of Dragon Gate which came out a couple of years ago

5. The Hunger Games was garbage honestly. The book was so much better and I'm glad I read it before I watched it.

Have you watched 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' in the original language? I've been wanting to but at the same time putting it off.

The Jackie Chan movie is actually called 1911. It was pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXNMUh4Ckts

6. I've seen The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl who Played with Fire. Still have to finish the last one.

7. Let The Right One In

It's Swedish I think? I'm normally not one for vampire movies but this was good. It's a love story as well. I heard they made an american version that some people said was actually better than the original but i've  yet to see the remake.

8. Twilight?  :p

9. Oh, Saigon - It's a documentary about a family that visits Vietnam again after they evaded in 75 after the war.

Burzynski - A documentary about people who follow a doctor's recommendation to "get rid" of cancer but isn't recognized by the FDA.

Both are pretty good.

10. I would suggest a movie called babble with brad pitt. Ever see it?

11. #11 DJMax, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
    Called Let Me In

It was good, but I'v never seen the original.