Neglect dreads soon, tips?

Discussion in 'General' started by DDV, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Hey guys,

I am very confident that I'll be starting my natural dreadlock journey this summer, and i was thinking.. what exactly should i do? My hair is VERY curly, so i was thinking to uhh.. just let it do it's thing. I was also thinking that if i leave the house, I'd have to wear a beanie because I'm pretty sure no one wants to see my messy semi-locks. I will use Dr. Bronner's All natural soap for my dreads, and I've read up on washing them and whatnot, but does anyone have any tips or advice for someone who's starting off? I don't want to somehow do it wrong :confused:

Any help is appreciated! :D

2. Im tuned into this thread,
    just to learn something new.

3. how long is your hair? You want that shit atleast at your shoulders before you start , you dont want nubs you want dreads lol. But just let it go, quit using shampoo number 1, keep it tied up almost all the time, and wear a lot of beanies like you said. That shit will start to nap up like no other, let it do that, and then start ripping the naps apart and twistin and pl ayin with em like crazy. Before you know it your good to go. What ever you do dont go to some salon and or cake your head in wax, shit is retarded. But above advice is what i did and i had some really nice dreads. All in all id say after a year i had full on dreads. Good luck man your gonna look pretty rough for awhile lol

4. Wow man thanks for the info, i was always curious about this!
    I always though you would look sketch in the process of getting dreads.

5. You look sketch after the process of getting dreads.

6. Hah, not really man.
    I mean dreads have a religious meaning.

7. Ah man...neglect dreads look nasty.
    Do you want to like like a dirty hobo?
    Get them back-combed? Ftw? lol

8. the whole back of my head is natrually dreaded. none of them are even of nice looking, but i dont really mind. i like the dirty look. ya only live once, gotta do what you like.

but i literally just let them form, then i rip them to shape them up a bit. get rid of loose hairs/hairs i dont want tangled in. it hurts but its not that bad. hurts about as bad as teasing your hair.

edit: i havent used any shampoos or conditioners in well over a year. once a week i wash my hair with handmade soap.

9. #9 TheHighLife, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2011
    i've got dreads i did them 100% entirely by myself. i did it all natural and back combed.

first i washed my hair and go it completely clean then i sectioned out my hair (optional: braid the hair then undo them to get a "nappier" texture) then i took a couple of bong hit, popped superbad into the ps3 and started back combing away, it took probably a total of 6 hours to finish my whole head, all my section were pretty much different so i have a bunch of different sized dreads which i like. If you can get a friend to help you back comb it would be obviously be much faster and easier esp when it comes to the back part of your head.

like mentioned above don't go to a salon or attempt to put wax or product in your hair it will only make a mess and is a temp solution to holding the hair together, wax and also lead to mold and dirty smelling locks. try not to wash your hair often and do sea salt soaks oncce a week or so at the beginning so your hair dries up, and knots and locks faster.

give it time have patience it doesn't happen over night takes at least 7 months before your hair goes from looking like a jungle mess to somewhat having messy dreads, took me at least a year for mine to look good and be nice and locked super tight, but also my hair is not really curly its kinda straight/wavy.

don't be alarmed if your hair gets significantly shorter as that is part of the process as they get shorter you will also notice they will start to get thicker which is good, loops are fine don't worry about them leave em be' and if you can/want use a crohet hook to pull in loose hairs.

this is all the advice/tips that come to mind atm if you have any questions feel free to ask

10. So you pretty much went with the neglect method, but back-combed at the beginning to kinda boost it? I wasn't thinking about doing anything to it. Just wash it and leave it be to do it's thing.. how does backcombing it beforehand help?

11. Joe Axler, on left has em down to his fuggin ankles...

samothrace photo

[​IMG]

12. Back combing itself is just a "boost", locking is a long process and back combing is just a way to start dreads.

13. i didn't really "neglect" them, its actually a bit of work to get them to lock up especially if you don't have the right type of hair, but I think since your hair is curly you might have a bit of n advantage. the backcombing does "boost" the process but it also helps you a lot when you first start cause it gives you the initial locking and sectioning of your hair, you control it more as opposed to it doing whatever you want, just remember to wash with natural soaps and products that dont leave gunk in your hair.

14. I went on a 10 month dreadlock journey myself.

I have very curly hair. I started short at 4 inches, backcombed as a jumpstart, and then went natural for 10 months.

Understand that your hair is going to look like shit for a long time, up to a year or even more in some cases.

Mine looked bad for 5 months, then good for 5, and then it got very itchy and bothersome and I cut it when it was looking its best.

Dandruff is often hard to avoid. Most people are pretty grossed out by it and sometimes it gets quite obvious, even if you do use anti-dandruff shampoo.

Most people don't have dreads with the natural route for about a year, maybe a little more, maybe a little less.

That being said, I loved my hair more than ever those last 5 months. If it wasn't so damn itchy I would have kept them for sure.

Just know that there will be haters. Don't listen to them, they tend to just be very ignorant people.

I only got mine to my shoulders and they weren't all in dreads yet but curly hair and dreads are full of win.

Oh, and you will have bad dread days and good dread days. Listerally one day you will wake up and look in the mirror and :hello:. Then the next day you will look in the mirror and :mad:. That's just how it goes. Just know that in the end it will be worth it if you want them bad enough. And be prepared for some serious itchiness, but you get used to it after a while and often times you forget its even there.

Go to the http://dreadlocktruth.com/dtforum for info. That's where I got all my info and they are the coolest and most knowledgable dreadheads on the web in my opinion.

15. i agree there are good dread days and day days, some days i look in the mirror and i am like dayuuum! others im just like meh. i had a little bit of dandruff when i didnt have dreads so i was scared it would happen with my dreads but on the contrary, i dont actually shows signs of dandruff atm one secret to that is to wash your hair with natural products and cold water to prevent dread itch. be patient with them it's going to take a whileeee before they start geting in their prime.