Neem oil too late in the flower

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Genetics101, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Anyone ever made the same idiot mistake I made and used Neem Oil coating the entire plant buds and all two weeks before harvesting? Buds taste like garbage, smell like garbage, gave off zero high, and just made me feel sick. Should I trash the crop? I'm royally bummed and embarrassed.

2.  I use neem too.At least a week prior to harvest I flush AND shower a couple times  ..yes I put them in the shower under luke warm not hot warm or cold water and leave them there for maybe 5 minutes . That way your actually "washing" your buds..of course..don't use soap! Ill do this two or three times before I ever harvest the plant. Never had a problem using neem anytime during flowering UNLESS I forget to give the girls a shower!  :bongin:

3. Seriously you soak your buds in water? 

4. I have been advising the use of Neem oil for ages here on GC, and always say .....but never too close to harvest. For this very reason, I doubt very much if the oil based Neem can be removed using water, as one attempts to remove oil with water, without a soap agent is just dumb, but I don't recommend you use soap or water for that reason. UV from the sunlight does well at neutralizing the effects of Neem, allow the plants to budd further an extra 2 weeks in the sun or under an HPS should work.

If you cant do that allow the plants to dry an extra 2 weeks to ensure the effects of Neem have dissipated

Neem as mentioned elsewhere is an acquired taste, but should have NO affect on the high 

5. You put your plants in the shower a week before harvest?
    Just wanna make sure i read it right, its the first time ive ever heard this.

Neem 2 weeks before harvest isnt a good idea, but its not to blame for your poor potency. It does leave a nasty taste, but thats if you start drenching your plants with it. Neem is meant to be used as a light spray.

6. Neem's main active ingredient for insect control is called Azadactrin. It has 3 really pronounced effects on bugs. 1. When used systemically it becomes an anti feedant. 2.It is a IGR, it adversely effects the bugs ability to go from larva or egg to nymph to adult. 3. It is an anti ovicidal, which means adults have a harder time lying viable eggs. Unfortunately neem oil is a naturally derived oil from the neem seed, and from batch to batch the potency of azadactrin varies. There are several Azadactrin products that have a percentage by volume so you get much more consistent sprays/drenches. Azasol is my favorite but Azamax,Molt X, and Azatrol are all good products. This product is best used with a SECONDARY pesticide to KILL the weakened bugs. Pyganic 5.0 EC works great and is food safe! Just my .02 :bongin:

7. I did the same as you about 30 years ago ....and I say Neem is an acquired taste,...always keep some of this contaminated product for the occasional parasite that leaches Mj of off you...always good for a laugh .....lol

...and you may show off your Mj-ness by smoking the "J" and not notice any after taste ....lol

8. What about dynagro neem 3 weeks before harvest? if it was given during a normal water into soil (no foliar) will it still leave the taste behind?

This is a very old skool practice.

Google "bud washing" or "rinsing cannabis"

Many have done this for years to no detriment, beyond the possibility of breaking trichome heads off.

I first heard about it from Granny Storm crow who used it to wash away dr bronners soap when spider mite outbreaks occurred :)
    ~ poke