Needing Help -_-

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by T17merk, Jun 8, 2013.

1. #1 T17merk, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2013
    Looking on what's the best soil...mostly red clay but I'm sure I can make my own soil any suggestions?? I'm at a loss

2. #3 mjmama25, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2013
    If your soil is hard clay I would either use smart pots or dig huge holes and line the bottom with rocks to help with drainage. For a soil mix, I'm going to give you a super simple recipe, and then a more advanced recipe. It's up to you what you chose.

Simple Recipe
    1 bag of store bought organic soil*
    5-10 lbs worm castings
    1/2 lb kelp
    1/2 lb alfalfa
    3/4 lb high p bat guano
    1 cup lime

Advanced Recipe
    1 bag of store bought organic soil*
    5-10 lbs worm castings
    1/2 lb kelp
    1/2 lb alfalfa
    1/2 rock phosphate
    3/4 lb high p bat guano
    2 cups rock dust
    1 cup lime
    1 cup neem meal
    1/2 cup oyster shell flour
    1/2 cup azomite
    1/2 cup green sand
    1 tsp humic acid

If you can't get any one of these ingredients, most of it is replaceable with other products. Just let me know and I'll try to help you tweak the recipe to what you can do. Compost can replace the worm castings. Blood and bone meal can replace kelp and guano. I personally like to use a little blood and bone meal AND kelp and guano. The more variety the better. And the great part is you can reuse this soil and it will get better every year with just lightly re-amending it.

** For the store bought soil, anything organic will do, but avoid MG products. Masters Nursery, Royal Gold, and Coast of Maine are great choices. Fox Farms, Roots Organic, or any pro mix will do.