Need to make room COMPLETELY silent

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Grasso, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Room is 2x3 feet. It will have a grow tent in it thats 2x3x4
    400w hps, 4 plants

What fans have almost no noise?

As long as it can't be heard through the closet door( the sliding door ones with cracks) i should be ok.

Please help

2. valuline fans are good. Don't buy an off brand centrifugal fan, they sound terribly loud.

If it's inside the tent, and that's in a closet, it shold be quiet. You put the fan in the tent, to push air out of there. Some people set the carbon filter and fan on the ground, and use flexible ducting to sent the air up through the upper duct port, Or you can suspend the fan&filter from the roof of the tent (if it's not a cheapo tent) and push filtered air out that way.

3. You dont think I'll be able to hear it at all through the closet? keep in mind the closet door has cracks in it that i can see as a problem.

I was looking into the panasonic whisper fans but people say that the sound of rushing air is an issue

4. also what cfm would i be good with? im using a cooltube on the hps

5. Hey Grasso,

In such a small space that 400 watter is going to be freaking hot. You'll need a goodly amount of turnover with air from outside the closet (for the cool tube AND the tent generally). If absolute silence and keeping the closet closed is a necessity because you need to keep it from, say, your parents or wife, I would caution against this project at this time!

I've not come close to hearing ALL the fans, but I've heard enough to feel comfortable betting you're not going to find something as quiet as you seem to need.

Not trying to bust your balls, but rather, keep you out of trouble with whomever needs to remain in the dark!

Good luck!

6. So is my goal unreachable? that sucks.

What about those music studios where you cant hear anything from the outside?

7. They dont have sliding closet doors. Give up bro. U aint ready

8. No fan that will cool a 400w HPS light will be siletn through one of those closet doors. They provide ZERO sound proofings, I guartunee you could hear a simple computer fan through it if it was quite enough.

Whoever your trying to hide it from, will notice. I highly suggest you rethink / give up this project

9. #9 CasualObserver, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012
    Ok, I'll play...which is to say, you'll get just enough rope to hang yourself. :devious: (the devious smiley should have a monocle and be twisting his waxed mustache!)

The product you see in recording studios is called Sonex. If the monitors in the booth aren't absolutely rockin', you can often hear what's going on outside the booth, but not well; Sonex would likely easily suppress fan noise. 16 sq ft from Sonex Audio Tiles will run you $60. You'd need to line the entire space (not the tent, the closet) which will be a bit more than 16 sq ft of surface area. If your measurements above are correct, the depth of the tiles will make it impossible to fit your tent in the closet. Busted.

There is also a product that is used in conjunction with sheetrock...I forget what it's called, Google it. The downside is it's considered sound reduction (a loud voice would be muffled) and again, you'll line the whole space and reduce your usable volume--although not as much as the Sonex. (You'd still need the Sonex on the doors. If they're pocket doors, they won't open. If they slide beside each other, the Sonex will have to be outside the closet on one of them.) Busted.

You can't keep the door open, so you'll need to cut holes in the wall and ceiling to run ducting. Attaching anything that vibrates to the wall or ceiling will pretty much negate your sound proofing materials as the equipment will vibrate the framing throughout the house (well, at least into the next room). You can put a chest of drawers or something in front of the hole in the wall to cover it, but neither that nor all the sound proofing material will keep fan noise from rushing out of the hole. Yep, busted.

Your sound proofing tools and materials are going to cost considerably more than your garden setup but won't be all that effective for what and where you're doing it. And I believe odds are pretty good that you won't be able to get it all in the house and installed without detection...I don't know your situation, I suppose, but if I'm betting, busted.

Here's a little more info in general. But I don't think it really helps your cause.
    Soundproofing 101: Soundproofing - Noise Reduction - Noise Abatement

Please give your parents a smidge of credit. They're not as absolutely clueless as you may think they are!

Your time will come, patience.

10. #10 hemi4spd, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012
    ^might be easiser to explain the weed. Than to explain whats all the construction going on. Hahahah Fuck man you have me laughing my ass off just envisioning all those scenarios.
    I wish i could give u more rep. Good shit

OP Do you have a crew to help you do this while moms out for groceries?
    Lol
    Fuk my head, this thread is dead

11. Circulating air from a tent into a closed closet isn't going to help. That's the same as throwing your light in an uncirculated closet without a tent and hoping for the best.

12. no the intake is coming from my room and the exhaust is going out of the roof. And im not trying to hide it from my parents, I don't know why your all assuming i am.

I have an unlimited budget and theres no way i can make a fan silent? Im going to have duct mufflers and an insulated box surrounding the fan itself, The only thing i need are some people to give me links to fans they have experience with that are pretty quiet. Id only need around 100-150 CFM since the space is so low and im using a cooltube it wont be too hot. The closet is 2 feet 3 inches by 3 feet 4 inches so i have some extra space around the sides of the tent.

Why are you all such downers damn

13. Sorry, man. I misunderstood. I would get two ducting mufflers and put one on both sides of the fan. With some acoustic tiling lining the closet and a quick search of some fan threads for the quietest model, I think you could enjoy a silent room with whatever damn light you want.

14. i just got a S&P silent series 4'' inline. its expensive but a lot quieter than my old vortex. 140 or 200cfm depending on how you wire it still what you're trying to do in that small a space is tall order .Cooling is inherently loud affair unless you're going to do central a/c in a dedicated room. You're asking too much from a unit that was not designed for audio stealth

15. I dont care how much money you throw at it. Its an impossible order.
    An we arent downers more like realists.

16. Hey Grasso i reccomended the S&P...i gotta pull my rep.ran the unit 48hrs continuous and it ain't so quiet anymore. called the sales rep and they after much discussion said it is what it is..dammm. i thought this would be the solution. They said look into sound enclosures for the unit if i want more stealth. The way they were talking its not the money so much as the daunting mechanics and harmonics . Talked to them for25mins and they harshed my mellow as i just spent and wasted $143..and will be eating top ramen the rest of this month...now THATS a downer

17. if you cant afford to eat after buying weed supplies, its time ti reconsider your priorities.

18. When it gets like that for me i eat promix :)

19. #19 CasualObserver, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
    I thought my second post was real info with a healthy dose of tongue planted firmly in cheek...but this is funny! :D

At the ends of your ducting, if you can't buy something premade, you can build a box lined and with baffles of Sonex. But still, it probably won't make it COMPLETELY silent.

20. hey CasualObserver read your post and i have looked into the sonnex they sell it in 4'''x4'' squares and i am thinking about building a sound enclosure for my commercial air pump my question is how do i deal with the heat it generates (vent holes) without letting the sound out.Have you seen any designs worth building? Whats promix?