Need suggestions/comments on my first grow box(PICS)

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by elbatuxe, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

I just built a grow box. I am looking for comments, suggestions, areas of improvement etc.

Specs:

L 2.62 ft x W 1.6 ft x 3.9 ft H

4 layers of flat white paint

Shelve for electronics, box is going to be fully controlled by an Arduino microcontroller

103 CFM ventilation fan with carbon filter, filter is covered with screen and two layers of nylon

2 side holes for ventilation, 80 mm fans

400 W HPS

Questions/Worries:

1. I fear that my box isn't tall enough, it is about 4 feet without the shelf, pots and light but when you add those things it might be too short huh?

2. Not enough plants, I want about 4?

3. I don't want any smell, will my carbon filter take care of this? or does it also need to be air tight?

4. The side holes, they should probably be farther down but I can make two more down low. Should I put fans on them, let them be open or cover them up again?

5. Will I have temp problems with the current system and will my light be too close and burn my plants?

I am looking for some suggestions, I want to have the system be optimal.

Attached Files:

2. #2 Badfish73, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2009
    If you're worried about height and the only thing you're using the shelf for is electronics, then go with an external enclosure. Attach it on the side of the box over one of your vent holes and run cable through your existing hole and cover the other vent up and re-drill a new vent on the bottom. You don't have to get an expensive electronics enclosure, and old first-aid kit or He-Man lunchbox will do.

Space for 4 plants will be a problem. You'll have to scrap this box and build a new one with a base of L 2.625 ft x W 1.6 ft which will give you 4.20 ft2. :D Honestly, you have just a little over 1 ft2 per plant which should be doable.

From what everyone says your carbon filter should cover the smell. As for being air tight it shouldn't matter for smell as long as you only have an exhaust fan (negative ventilation). Just make sure it is light tight.

Refer to first paragraph as to what to do with the holes and don't put fans on your intake or you'll pressurize the box and push smell out other places than your filter.

As for the temp problems I can't help you there. But doing away with the shelf will give you more room to keep your light at a safer distance.

Edit: Nice enclosure by the way. please re-take pic #1 with a goldfish bowl on top. Danger Will Robinson keeps running through my head now :)

3. #5-Yes I think you will have temp issues in that box with a 400w HPS.
    Have you checked out some of the CFL grows or even an HO T-5, unless your
    going to use a cooltube system I can't imagine how you will keep temp under control, your pots will be 10" tall and then how tall will you plants be and your light will take up space at the top, so you have aprox 20" for plant hieght touching the light, I'd re-think you light choice or build it approx 5-6' tall.
    I just can't imagine a 400w light in that small of a box, have you ever put your hand under a 400w light?
    I think it would be perfect size box for CFL's, much more managable heat.
    Check out some of these links.

YouTube - Kanaal van doejohn779

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/122824-kamels-cfl-guide.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/477361-t-5-autoflower-grow.html

4. Damnit....

I knew I should of built it bigger, it was like one of those lingering feelings that I had throughout the entire construction.

I guess I'll just have to rethink the whole thing.

Referring to the holes on the side, would it be necessary to make any holes next time if I have proper ventilation? If I should, should they be at the bottom? Should I have fans with no holes?

5. put holes as low as you can with either 90 degree bend pvc tubes "black" or ducting it will make it light proof...you dont need intake fans if you have a nice out take fan but still need intake holes lol

6. Perfect box for clone & veg, safe it or send it to me :smoke:

7. Yeah but not for flowering...... damnnniiittttt.... Have to rebuild this thing from scratch then, guess I learned some stuff though.

8. You could easily flower in that box with CFL's, many are doing it and yield better than
    an oz. per girl.
    You could get started using that box while you build a bigger one.

9. Guess I'll have to try that but then I have to get the sockets etc, which kind of sucks....