need some ventilation help

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by justintime, Aug 16, 2009.

1. hi, i just finished my grow closet, but im having temp problems. im using 2 6in duct fans from home depot, one for in take and the other for the exaust which is hooked up to a carbon scrubber, but they just dont work good. the temps are around 85-88deg. my question is, if i put a powerful inline fan for the exaust will i have to do the same to the intake to even out the air exchange? or dose it not matter? thanx

2. Nope, you put the fan(a real good 1) in a "exhaust" position. You wont need anything except a smaller hole for intake, it will be "passive", creating a negative pressure in your closet. Which is good.

3. so i wont need an intake fan, just the hole? its only 4in in diamiter is that big enough for enough air to come through?

4. the intake hole should be bigger than your exhaust, most say at least 2x

5. those home depot boosters are GARBAGE!!

DONT USE active intakes! They are more hassel than there worth. Go with passives, and dedicate all your fans to cooling circulation and exhausting.

intake should be 2-3x exhaust. so if you have a 4'' exhaust you WILL NEED at least an 8" or 2 4'' intakes.

ONE 4'' hole takes 16-18 1'' holes to create the same area. also your plants will grow 2-3 times their size when you switch to 12's, plan accordingly

Good luck

6. Thanks for the clear up. i Had it backwards

7. #7 justintime, Aug 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2009
    is there any other way then drilling more holes?? the exaust is 6in so i would need at least 3 4in holes? also i was wondering if vortex is a good brand. and if i used one of these for the intake would it work as good as using multiple holes? thanx

8. I have a 6'' exhaust hole with 1 265cfm blower pulling through a cooltube and pushing into a scrubber with a 6'' core (my entire intake and exhaust system). For my intakes (passive) I have 1 4'' and 3 2'' intakes, and covering those are 2 ply poly sheets. It pulls penty of air through those and the misc air leaks around the box to not suck the door close, so I dont think Im stressing the blower at all.

That works great for me and might give you a place to start.

As for drilling more holes? you could instead buy one of those rectangular AC vents that are adjustable. They come in various sizes and allow you to control how much intake is used......make sense?

Vortex are very good fans. plenty of power in all sizes. and if you get a decent size I bet it would help cool the cab a bit too with the added intake cfm's. Thats how I set my cab up. I used small fans inside my cab to circulate the added intake cfm's and it cooled it by about a few degrees.

9. do you think 2 4in holes will be enough? my closet isnt air tight, so it can also draw air in from the sides ithink