Need some Non-Fiction Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by HighPoint 420, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Title says it all, I really enjoy Non-Fiction books like Jesse Ventura's work, I also have started reading "Professional Idiot" The documentary of steve - o. Anyone have any good books they would suggest?

2. Not sure if you like his kind of music, but I bought Slash's autobiography today, and I really like it.

I'd recommend it.

3. That would be pretty good. I really enjoyed Steve-O's life story, a humorous and insightful book.

4. Pretty much any rock star from that time's biography is jut bound to be somewhat funny.

Ozzy Osborne's is a good one. Along with Sammy Hagar.

5. The world has officially ended; Ozzy has been placed in the same category as those other two. The similarities end at male human in that comparison.

6. He was referring to the books I'm pretty sure.. Do you have a book you would like to contribute to or are you just looking for posts you can attack?

7. I like both their styles of music, both of them as solo artists and while they were in bands.

I was talking about the books, some people are just assholes about things that aren't harmful.

8. A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut

9. Read The Greatest Show On Earth by Rickard Dawkins.

It's about how we know evolution is a fact. It also has alot of astounding things about animal behaviors that you would never have guess existed. Its a great read

10. +1 for Slash's autobiography.

Tommy Lee's and Eric Claptons are both great as well in my opinion!

11. Wild - story of a woman who gets divorced, Mom dies, gets hooked on drugs, then escapes her reality by hiking the PCT alone... good stuff.

BTK - story of Dennis Rader, prolific serial killer

12. A People's History of the United States
    Three Kings
    Uranium

13. Um, off the top of my head, three random ones I've enjoyed:

Why People Believe Weird Things by Robert Sherman

An Incomplete Education by Judy Jones and William Wilson

Chloroform: the Search For Oblivion by I forget who

14. What Plants Know by Daniel Chamovitz

You won't look at a plant the same .

15. If you want something more philosophical I'd recommend 'Where I Lived, and What I Lived For' by Henry David Thoreau.

It's about the time he spent living in the woods away from organised society. Very thought provoking and an easy read.

16. Autobiography of a Recovering Skinhead - Frank Meeink
    Night - Elie Weisel
    People Who Eat Darkness - Richard Lloyd Parry (highly recommended!)
    Blood Beneath My Feet: The Journey of a Southern Death Investigator - Joseph Scott Morgan
    Under and Alone - William Queen
    Monster - Sanyika Shakur
    Freakonomics - Stephen Levitt

Mary Roach has authored a handful of really interesting (and totally entertaining) science based books (Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex, Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void, Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife, etc.).

17. Philosophical works

The Art of Philosophizing - Bertrand Russell
    Denial of Death - Ernest Becker
    Liberty Defined (50 Essential Issues That Affect Our Freedom) - Ron Paul
    Being and Nothingness - Jean-Paul Sartre
    Das Kapital - Karl Marx

18. "No Ordinary Time" by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

19. Dreamland
    -------------------
    Adventures In
    The Strange
    Science Of
    Sleep

by David K. Randall

20. Dirt
    -------
    The Ecstatic
    Skin of the
    Earth