Need some life advice.

Discussion in 'General' started by Herbpipe1027, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Whats up blades, hope yall doing good today. Well here's my quandary. I'm a 19 year old highschool graduate with at the end of this school year maybe 12 college credits under my belt. I still live at home with my parents. We are comfortably upper middle class living in a nice neighborhood in a mid sized city in Iowa. My parents are accepting of my cannabis use so long as I do it intelligently and what not. My mom works for the hospital in town and is the bread winner in the house. The bad thing is that even though she has been running a lab and developing curriculum for them they've been fucking her on hour and chances to advance her career. Within the last year she received a job offer from a large hospital in Peoria Illinois that would basically be a dream job for her, something I would be remiss to stand in the way of.

My parents finally made the decision recently that we are for sure moving and honestly I'm not sure what to do. Being old enough to move out I am quite tempted to and just stay here where my friends and life are, the problem is working enough to support myself, and go to school with what will most likely be a 15 credit hour schedule next year.I also really dislike the idea of being so far away from my family as I have a very small social circle outside of them though it has grown significantly in the last few months.

Since i'm out of high school I feel like it will be very hard for me to make new friends and construct a new social structure in Peoria, and being the high school black sheep I'm kinda scarred to go back to that.

I'm probably leaving out a lot of detail but I'm high right now, basically i can stay here, try to forge out on my own probably have to stop smoking nearly as much as i do, start paying all my bills and what not but be able to keep my current friends connections job and all the great things of living in a city you've known your whole life but be 4 hours away from the rest of my family who i definitely still rely on alot as it is. Or move to Peoria as a 19 year old following his family have no social circle no connects but more money and not have to pay much of any bills. Also feel like I'll become really depressed if I move there, that's what it was like when I was in Holland for the two weeks before my cousin got home and started taking me out.

Feel free to ask question about anything i might have left out I'm looking for some real serious advice, I am stuck as it is.

2. Personally I moved out at 19, but I had been working since 14, and had a ton of money saved. I know most people arent in that situation.

If you dont have much money saved, its gonna be hard to find a job to support you. I'd move with them, it could be fun. You can easily make friends if you're taking college courses once you get out there!

3. Here's the dealio. Maybe you can work something out with your parents where they financially support you (or at least help) as long as you do well in your classes. That way, they know you'd actually be working hard in school, and to impress them even more get a part time job so they don't have to fully support you. The work/school balance is hard, but I feel like most parents care more about their children's scholastic success (which they are paying for, I assume) than making sure you have enough money to pay your cell phone bill. Say that you'll only really be able to support yourself after you've successfully completed school. This would allow you to stay in Iowa City, maintain your social group, and expand it further (having your own place is pretty balla). Being away from your family is something you'll have to get used to, doesn't mean you'll never see them though! Good luck with everything homie