need some help with my organic grow!

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by kasper4207, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Here is w hat you posted

So where do I start. I have started 2 female Cotton Candy beans by Delicious. They are about a week old. I went with the water only (hopefully) organic method. Here is an idea of what i mixed up.

1 bag of potting soil
    1/2 bag of perlite
    1/2 a bag of pete moss
    1 cup of dolomite lime
    1 cup of bone meal
    1 cup of blood meal
    1 cup of bat guano

I have the seedlings in just the soil, moss, and perlite mix!
    So I guess my first real question about this would be when do I transplant to the water only mix?

Could you tell us the brand and amount of potting soil? And did your mix have a compost or earth worm component?

If you read any of our soil recipe threads, and there are plenty, maybe all or at least most, will have 20% of some kind of compost. We go through a lot of trouble to get the best compost we can, because we believe it's that darn important. That's where I'd start improving your mix......MIW

2. kasper, you need to add a full range trace mineral source to your mix. A cup of Rock dust, kelp meal, or greensand(or combination) will suffice.

To answer your question when stored at room temperature or outside during the spring and summer months mostmostgardeners prefer to let a mix sit damp about thirty days to allow the microbes to start doing their thing.

3. Sometimes refered to as nutrient cycling.

4. thank you guys for the responses i will take a few pics of the whole setup later and fill you guys in on all the details... when i was asking about the soil i ment how long till i switch from seedling in plain soil to my hot soil! also my mix has been sitting for about 6 weeks! If you click the link up top you can see the girls and the problems that i am facing right now. i just transplanted to 3 gal pots and want to keep them in that and start taking clones as soon as i could safely do so. Im hoping to take 3 clones every 3 weeks and put them in a 8 to 9 week flower cycle. veg is alot of cfls both 2700k and 6500k and flower will be a 400 or 600 watt hps or mh. and maybe a cfl or two.

5. 1 bag of Black magic professional potting soil (16 quarts)
    1/2 bag of perlite (4 quarts)
    1/2 a bag of pete moss(4 quarts)
    1 cup of dolomite lime
    1 cup of bone meal
    1 cup of blood meal
    1 cup of bat guano

the black magic soil says its made of 60%forest products,compost,sphagnum peat moss, and perlite

6. #7 WeeDroid, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2012
    The forest products can be a problem and one reason why many of us avoid soil products with this additive. Plants can produce compounds that affects the growth of other plants near them. A process called allelopathy (I mess my pants every time I get to use that word). :D

Forest products don't seem to be a good match for annuals, grass like strains such as cannabis.

You have a decent start on a good organic mix, but it can be tweaked ever so much more. It really depends on how hard you want to work sourcing and then finally mixing all of your goodies. Then you want it to sit mixed for a while before using. Just a bit moist preferably.

I don't like blood and bone meal as they attract pests and the quality of animal meals is always in question. How healthy are the animals, how clean where they lived, were slaughtered and how clean the total processing of the final product. Then there are left over residues from whatever they fed the animals. Which in some cases is considerable amounts of chemicals.

I like neem, kelp, crab meals myself. I have bat guano, dolomite lime and such but am phasing them out.

I would also recommend going to the organic growers forum and find someone who grows the way you want to and is successful at it. Learn form their mistakes.

Don't forget your high quality earth worm castings. ;)

7. I mixxed a tsp of greatwhite and 2 tsps of glacial rock in this gallon of water do you guys think that will help

8. I mixxed a tsp of greatwhite and 2 tsps of glacial rock in this gallon of water do you guys think that will help

Nope.

Mycorrhizae (Great White) requires ROOT CONTACT. The only real way to use mycorrhizae products is to dust the exposed roots during transplant.

Rock dust will just sit on top of your soil. This needs to be mixed into your soil.

jerry.

9. Wee, I know my word choice was simple and vague. BTW They do more than just cycle nutrients. You already know this.

Voo

10. If the mix there in now is just peat and perlite I'd transplant ASAP. I leave plants in peat perlite mix for about a week, then one gallon pots for 2-3.
    Also like others said compost is very important if nothing else descent compost will raise the CEC value tremendously.

BeZ...V

11. Bez, I realize you indoor boys typically cant/dont/wont (pick a contraction) veg for very long but I would suggest starting them off in the one gallons just make the top 3-4 inches the seedling mix. Or use super starter plugs and plop them into the 1 gallons. At least this way you will cut one transplant shock out of your routine. I despise transplant shock, 3-7 days of lost progress. For some of the indoor crowd that could be a 25% loss of veg. growth. Significant loss.

Voo

12. I agree Voo I was just saying if it is a smaller pot with peat and perlite only, then I transplant sooner. I like to start clones in small square pots (the 4" square pots because they fit the rectangular trays and seed mats perfect) this way if it don't take I don't have as much used potting material to deal with.
    I don't stress time tho plants do what they do and there ready when there ready. A good indication for me to transplant is the rate of growth and how often I have to water and I don't care what kind of pot I use veg plants definitely slow down when the pots full of roots and if I have to water more than twice in a week they need a bigger pot. LOL

BeZ...V

13. 1 bag of Black magic professional potting soil (16 quarts)
    1/2 bag of perlite (4 quarts)
    1/2 a bag of pete moss(4 quarts)
    1 cup of dolomite lime
    1 cup of bone meal
    1 cup of blood meal
    1 cup of bat guano

that is the mix that they are in plus i added the glacial rock and great white by water as stated above. the bottom 3 leafed fan leaves are starting to go yellow!