Need some growing tips.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by shrooms4surfers, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Id like to grow a plant. I've found a good spot. Its on a very steep hill with trees blocking the view from the top of the hill and the bottom of the hill. So you can only see it from the side but, theres so much bushes that no one would climb up there. The soil however does not look to good to grow in. Lots of rocks and tree roots from the bolcking trees. So I will need to dig a hole and plant in a pot. WHAT SIZE POT SHOULD I BUY TO PLANT IN? Keep in mind that I have to take it up a steep hill...
    Plus WHAT KIND OF SOIL SHOULD I BUY FOR THE PLANT?
    Can you guys give me some brand names of the soil and anything else that has to be mixed in it? I read somewhere that using just potting soil does not give it enough nutrients..
    Could I get these things at home depo?
    Please help me out here.
    Thanks guys.:D

2. well the ideal pot to grow weed in is a 5 gallon pot, this will see your plant all the way to harvest day. i realise that this will be hard to lug up a steep hill you'll just have to make a few trips when it comes to getting the soil up there. brands differ from country to country so i cant give you a name since im in australia, however and potting mix with worm castings will be perfect and you wont need to give it any ferts untill about day 24.

3. Thanks for the reply!
    How big would the plant get in a 5 gallon one? Is it the bigger the better when it comes to pots?
    So any potting soil with worm castings is fine? No other nutrients are needed? What about those plant food liquid things? Will I need to use that? When would I start using it? I read that there are grow formulas and bloom formulas.. when do I start using those?

4. whoa!! so many questions, ill try my best to answer them.
    rule of thumb is a plant will grow 1 foot per gallon. if you went any bigger than that you might as well plant it in the ground.
    if you find soil with worm castings then that will see the plant through its seedling stage, any ferts will kill it, if you find a soil with both worm castings and trace elements that would be good too. some people like to use organic ferts but personally i like the water soliuble ones. so you can use that after the plant is about 4 weeks old but only use about half the strenght that it tells you to, then slowly build your way up. and only fert every 2 weeks. grow formulars are when the plant is in veg. bloom formulars are for when the plant is flowering.

you seem very new to this so ill just explain the dif between the two in case you dont know.
    veg: veg is when the plant is no longer a seedling and is growing all its leafyness. in this stage it needs high amount of nitrogen (N). once its buds start to appear it is in its flowering stage witch needs high amounts of phosphuras (sp?) (P)

5. Awsome now Im a bit smarter in this game hehe. So 1 foot per gallon eh? I was planning on making the plant a wide one instead of a high one. I would do this by tying the plant to the floor once it gets about 2 feet tall. By using a piece of string making a little knot and ataching it to the top of the plant. Then as it grows tie it in a circle around the pot its growing in. Does that sound right?

6. do you poke holes in the 5 gallon bucket? halfway down? or at the bottom?

7. N (nitrogen): accelerates plant growth

P (phosphorus): encourages stalk to strengthen

K (potassium): helps the plant to develop more potent flowers (buds)

CA (calcium): lowers the soils PH level. a lower PH will encourage female growth.

these are the nutrients your plant will need.

how many seeds are you planting? always assume a 50% chance of males or hermes

for the soil... ask the workers in the planting section for a good soil to grow tomatoes in.

you want good root ventilation so the more holes in the bucket the better

if the leaves turn brown around the edges and curl upward you are using to many nutrients (nutes)

if the leaves turn yellow and curve downward then you are overwatering.

8. Can I put soil in a bucket plant, transplant the clone into it and use the same soil for the entire grow? Or do you have to take the plant out of the bucket once in a while and change the soil?
    That would be hard to do.. I would be scared of transplanting it wrong..:confused:

9. unfortunatelythe roots of any plant are delicate and can go into shock easily:(

even i'm afraid to transplant them, but if the soil cannot supply any more nutes you will pretty much have to.

10. How would I notice that the plant has used up all the nutrients from the soil? Lets say I got a 5 gallon container and changed the soil in it every month? Would that be wise? When I change the soil.. do I just shake off as much dirt from the roots as possible?

11. By the way.. how do I even know that the soil is good or bad to grow in? Can someone post pictures of random soil so that I know what kind is good to grow in

12. they would probably die i think

i tried transfering one from a gallon bucket to the ground without disturbing any roots, and it still died

they seem very sensitive to that

and for soil that was working on the plant i started,,, i used some potting soil, or garden soil,,, buy some at target etc, mix that with decent outdoor soil somwhere and u could make a garden kinda

13. is it going to be able to get enough sunlight if theres that many trees?

14. yes, sunlight is very important.

if your plants dont get enough sun then they will mature too quickly

15. If I dont transplant, how do I change the soil?

One more qeustion..
    Lets say the soil in my enviroment is bad grow in, would digging a hole and pouring 2/3 of tomato plant soil and 1/3 of the soil that was there still work?

Like if I just dig a hole about 2 feet deep and make a mixture of the soils in there?

Sorry for all these questions..

16. if you start growing in a 5 gallon bucket you won't need to transplant at all - it is plenty big. and no, you don't change the soil every month unless you want to kill it.

17. Ok sorry to sound rude
    But Marijuana is a PLANT. Stick it in the ground and it will do what most plants do and grow. If this is your first grow i wouldnt expect anything to great to be produced. like mentioned you will not need to transplant it in a 5 gallon bucket. Let it grow.

18. So let me get this straight. I can fill up a 5 gallon + bucket with soil and not have to change the soil for the entire grow? Sweet! That makes things a lot easier.

19. if i were you id just dig a nice sized ditch and put your soil of choice in it or do it your way. but heres a tip if you dont want to hike down the hill everytime you water run a hose up to the top of the hill and conciel it in bushes.bring a funnel and bottle of water and pour it in.this will also help if there are people that might see you going down the hill.