Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Need Some Advice On My First Grow

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by zachp415, Sep 26, 2013.

1. So iv'e recently decided to buy 5 feminized Northern Light seeds from Nirvana. This is my (along with my girlfriends) first grow and we were in need for some advice. 

We planned on doing a small closet grow for personal use, but that doesn't defeat the point we want to grow some quality bud. Right now I have 4 60watt CFL's and a decent set up for keeping the plants ventilated while they grew. 

My main questions involve what type of soil, nutes, and lighting I should use during my veg and flowering stages. I'm trying to keep it low budget but iv'e read the soil/nutrition is a key part of having a successful grow. I plan on buying the PH adjuster kit to keep my soil and nutes around a 6. 

Thanks

2. #2 bubblekarma, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013
    Welcome to Grasscity!

In the future, please check the cultivation sub forums of the site. You will get more educated information from there. Plus many FAQ like this already answered.

Fox Farm Ocean Forest seems to be a very poplular soil, just don't fertilize them at all until after 30 or so days after planting. There are soooo many more though. Each person has his own idea of funds and needs.

Here is the link to the Absolute Begginers Cultivation forum:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/

Also, check out my own thread there, I have a lot of combined information, as I am getting ready to grow myself.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1245813-complete-growinggardening-noob-check-my-information.html

Cheers, and good luck. Remember to search, read, read, read, and read some more. Also, watch videos on youtube. There are many resources at your disposal, use them wisely.

3. #3 SupaaBaked, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013
    If you want quality bud ditch the cfl's and get a mh/hps combo ballast, you can get them less than 200 bucks. Then like the guy said above me go with a nice soil. Pretty much nothing you find at walmart. Coco is pretty cheap but its high maitnence since you have to water every day two, or use a soilless mix. You have a lot more control in soilless than you do in soil but not as much as hydro. Imo its like this organic > hydro > soilless > non organics. You don't need anything to adjust ph either unless you're doing hydro. Your water probably comes out of the tap around 7. In soil the ph should buffer itself unless you overfeed. In soilless if your ph is low give it plain water to take it up and feed it won't get too high unless you aren't feeding. It's a good idea to start with a 3 part nute system. Advanced nutrients, general hydroponics and fox farms all have good 3 parts, it comes in micro, grow and bloom. The only difference is jungle juice has ph buffers in it and general hydro doesn't. I'm not sure about fox farms but i've heard good things about it. The ph buffers aren't a big deal unless you're growing hydro.