Need soil advice on ph

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by yota420, May 16, 2009.

1. Okay, my soil is composed of spagnhum peat moss, composted cow manure, topsoil, vermiculite, and perlite in a 1:1 ratio. I added a handful of fast acting lime to each hole (5 cubic feet or about 40 gallons)... not enough to do much. I also mixed 1 cup blood meal, 1/2 cup bone meal, 1/2 cup bat guano, and 5 pounds of worm castings to each hole. I do not know the ph but do know that it is acidic and below 6.5 (soil test kits suck balls).

The native soil is right at 6.0 for ph (had a soil test done a couple months ago), though It is not mixed in with my soil mix. My water has a PH of 8ish.,, maybe high 7's.

I am not buying an expensive PH meter... what should i do? Hope the alkaline water and acidic soil balances out?
    If I add lime and my soil PH is really around say 6.5, cou;d the lime make it alkaline or will it just neutralize it?

Should i just add a cup of lime per hole and use PH down for my water?

2. i saw a ph meter for like 25 bucks at the store the other day. i think thats pretty reasonable. im sure you could find a better deal than that online. i think it would be worth it to invest in one instead of guessing.

3. My well water's pH is 7.4.....My soil's ph is supposed to be 6.5 and has pH buffers in it (dolomite lime and oyster shells). The run off when I water tests at 6.8 ph. I think you should be okay with your combination. You might want to fill a pot with your soil mix and water it and test the run off to be sure.