need help with yellowing leaves

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by gnasher999, Jul 21, 2012.

1. As you can see I am trying a tent grow with cool tubes.
    I have a 5" fan that sucks air through a carbon filter and out the tent.
    A 6" fan sucking air throughout the lights only. and a 5" intake sucking in fresh air inside the tent. the temp is holding at 27c with the lights 12" from the top of plants.
    I am using Sugar peak nutes at a rate of 3ml per litre bloom and 1ml catalyst. water is from the tap but is left bubbling for 48 hours before i use it. under light 1 there is 9x exodus cheese that had 4 weeks veg from cuttings in 10" round pots. under light 2 there is 16 x 6.5l square pots with AK48 that only had 3 weeks veg.
    Exodus cheese were flipped 20 days ago and the AK48 were flipped 5 days ago. all are potted in wicks multi purpose compost mixed with 15% perlite to add drainage. On the E/cheese the leafs are going yellow and going brown but not on the sugar leaves the buds are looking good. What is it thats making my leaves turn yellow and then brown dots are coming.
    Also how do you upload photos to the thread

2. It's usually a cal/mag deficiency..what's your ph?

3. I gave them a dose os epsom salts 2 weeks. soil ph is 6.5.

4. Are the tips burnt of the leaves burnt? Could b nute burn causing lockout

5. I was thinking of giving them a foliar with vitalink foliar or/and some SUPERthrive I am just worried that its nute burn as I have been told that Exodus cheese is fussy and only like 1/4 strength nutes. The AK48 also went green but that was not enough (N) and a dose of epsom and a good foliar feed sorted them out. So what do i do? do I flush them or feed them? I took 1 out and sat it under normal light so could see better. Big thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

6. Looks like nute burn to me.

7. Yup flush them good and back off the nutes

8. #8 hope2toke, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2012
    Don't foliar spray any thing past week two of flower unless it is to kill insects or mildew. I repeat do NOT foliar spray your plants at this point.

To fix the problem with your plant (and I don't know exactly what it is), I would definitely discontinue all fertilizer, unless I have read the MSDS and am sure the plant needs the specific ingredients in the bottle. calcium nitrate, potassium oxide, what have you for whatever that is. I would definitely mix a heaping tablespoon of kelp meal with two cups of redworm compost (slimy stuff that's thriving with redworms and microbes), and add this to the surface of the soil in the container plants, working it in with my fingers. Water this in with your clear, dechlorinated water, and do not feed any fertilizer until the condition improves and it's harvest time

9. Ok half way through flushing will just water till i see improvement in the plants.
    Not sure what to watch for but I can see if it's getting worse.
    Now that I have flushed should I remove the damaged leafs or leave them on?
    Can anyone let me know what the 1st signs of getting better will be?
    Big thanks for all the advice so far.

10. when you add the compost it will infuse your soil with fresh microbes. Abstain from chemical nutes until the leaves green up so as not to kill the micro-life. I would not remove the leaves because the plant is transfering whatever excess element there is to the leaf- resulting in a slow, gradual, and ugly leaf burn. removing the leaf will transfer the stress to other leaves- slowing down your plant's recovery. I would also add aloe vera to the soil, it is an amazing medicinal plant.

11. Just wait a week and see how much it's slowed down..you can add nutes then just go easy on them..you want the plant to be eating as much as your feeding..you can also do nutes, water, water as a feeding schedule or nutes, water, nutes..looks like you caught it in time so it should be fine till harvest and yea don't pick the bad leaves till they come off with barely any force so the plant can use what's left in them

12. I've discovered that plants always tend to get more sensitive about nutes once they go into flower. Gentle nutes are the key in flower. I tend to flush after every feeding.

13. Do you grow in soil or hydro?

14. it sounds like hydro. flushing in soil is utterly futile if it is a water-only, pre-fertilized mix the elements are not water-soluble

15. thanks for the advice.

Looked at them this morning and leaves had perked right up as if they are reaching out to the lights.
    the big fan leaves are bright yellow so I think they are asking for micro nutes, and some food. I am in a hard water area so I leave my water standing with an air stone in it for at least 48 hours before use. so what do you think or should I wait till the leaves green up or won't they?
    Not sure what to look for sorry for being a newbie here:confused:

16. I believe you should STOP feeding for now.. It seems like youre yellowing and continuing to feed.

17. Never feed just checked on them and yes the yellowing seems to be getting worse, will all the leafs go yellow and the die?
    After the amount of water I flushed though them I won't need to water for a week or so is that a good thing I wonder?
    I was just hopping it would be all green as seeing the yellow is really depressing.
    I have ordered a 4 stage RO as I have really hard tap water.
    Have also been looking into the seed bank nutes called powder feeding, It looks simple as hell has anyone used this? if so any good? forgive photos taken with a phone...

Attached Files:

18. Leaves will naturaly die off late into flowering but your not there yet. Flushing will also flush any nutes in the soil out that the plants need. Yellowing is usualy a sign of nitrogen deficiency. In flowering you dont want to much nitrogen as it can slow down the flowering process but once in a while if leaves start to turn yellow and die off to soon then you need to feed them some extra nitrogen.

19. Its only been 2 days give them a week..they couldnt get the nutes they needed because of lockout so now thats its flushed they will be able to get some food now..the dying leaves wont green up but the rest should stay the same

20. #20 gnasher999, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2012
    Ok sometimes in flower you need to give (N) would that be a one off feed?I can understand that and yellowing is a sign of that.
    Would that also send the stems a light pink to red colour?

I plan on just water feeding time till I know to feed again.
    What signs am I looking for to know to start feeding again?

Have anyone tried powder feeding that looks good I am thinking go getting that for next time.