Need Help With Lights.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by itsfrankie, Jun 13, 2013.

1. so i am a newbie to growing indoors and i want to start asap.. i already have 10 feminized seeds but im not to sure what to do about the lighting system. Could someone send me a good link to a light fixture and good bulbs for cheap?? maybe a nice amazon link or something? ive been on sites before and people have told me what bulbs are good.. but i seem to have bad luck with finding them.. PLEASE HELP

2. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apollo-Horticulture-600-Watt-600w-MH-HPS-Grow-Lights-Digital-System-Set-/171015859655?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item27d156edc7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apollo-Horticulture-600w-600-Watt-HPS-High-Pressure-Sodium-Grow-Light-Bulb-/170983454530?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item27cf687742

I haven't used this ballast or hood, but the bulbs are great and cheap. No discernible difference between this and bulbs 4-5X as much IMO, still getting 0.75g/W

3. aright awsome

thankyou so much i was also looking at this someone sent me on a diffrent site
    http://www.amazon.com/iPower-GLSETX600DHMWING20-600-Watt-Digital-Dimmable/dp/B005DOS0R8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371145810&sr=8-1&keywords=600w+hps+grow+light+system
     what do u think about that? that alone good enough for 10 plants??
    do i use mh for vegg or hps?? or just hps for all???

4. #4 AgMan, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013

The only problem I have with cheap things is the lack of a warranty (or easy way to replace in the case of online purchases). I use Galaxy Digis and have had all my 2009 ballasts tank on me this past year (I have some 2008 ballasts still growing strong, something was a miss with the 2009s). My grow shop replaced 5 of them for me. Digis aren't as reliable as a HID but I still prefer them for the power savings and bulb longevity. For example, a 1000W HID takes 1200W to run, whereas a 600W digi comes in a 599W (using my kill-a-watt as a test). I replaced my 1000W HIDs with 600W Digis and now get more total lumens and greater coverage for the same power useage.

I am not sure if 1 will be enough for 10 plants since I do not know what size you are planning, but my grow shop manager/friend grows 6 plants in a 4x5 tent and manages a pound every 8 weeks or so (he also has a veg tent to keep up with back to back flowering).

I grow my plants to about 3ft and fit 4 under each light.

I do a perpetual grow so that I harvest every other week. I run MH in veg, MH in the first 1/3 of flower, a mix of MH/HPS in the second 1/3 of flower, HPS in the last 1/3 of flower.

5. Vented hoods are a much, much, better way to go.

Still don't trust that ballast, I read mixed reviews...

If you take the time to price what you are getting out, you could spend about $25 more and get a higher quality ballast and hood.