Need help with light source

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MagicJosh, Jan 5, 2013.

1. I pretty well understand the process of growing, but when it comes to the technicalities of lighting, I'm not the "brightest" (pun intended). I am thinking of growing 2 plants in my closet, about 5 feet wide 3 feet long and around 8+ feet high, and was wondering if someone could clue me in on, or redirect me somewhere where I could understand what different lights do and how many I'd need etc.

I've heard a lot about 400 watt HID lights, but when I researched them there were different lights. Some were labelled "plant growing lights" which costed up to 4x as much as normal 400 watt HIDs

2. HID (high intensity discharge) there's many kinds like u said but the main 2 that you are going to be looking for that are HPS (high pressure sodium) which is best for flowering but can be used threw both cycles of growth (veg and flower) the second one is MH (metal halide) which is best to use when vegging. IMO I wouldn't use any other light then the HID I have used both MH/HPS threw my growth except when I started to flower I switched to just HPS. I would suggest getting 600-400watt light switchable mh/hps digital dimmable balist and a enclosed vented hood to evacuate the hot air out of the grow area. Hope that sheds some light

chill & smoke some bud!