Need help with first grow !!!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by medcardman, Jul 16, 2006.

1. First off i would like to say hey to everyone at grasscity! Im new to the forum but not to this website. I read grow forums around here and i have decided to start growing. There are many growers on this site and am posting here in need of a little help. Sometime in the next week i am planning on picking up 2-3 clones from a friend but i might start growing a couple seeds i have. So here's what i got for the grow.

Lavender clone
    Purple Moonshine clone
    Grandaddy purple clone
    Silver/afgani seeds x2
    Purple princess seeds x2
    Bagseed seeds x3
    400watt HPS light/ballast/reflecter for veg/flower
    reg soil with perlite
    light timer
    2 gallon pots x10
    9inch mini fan

closet size 2'x4' and 6 feet high

i was just wondering a few simple questions

1. If starting from seed how far should i hold a hps light above a seedling and for a clone as well as when it gets taller/flower?

2, I sm trying to get the most bud possible and im only putting about 3-4 plants in at a time, at what height should i start flowering to get the bigginst plants possible. if my closet is only 6 feet high and a little less because of the space the light takes up?

All help will be greatly appreciated and i am open for and tips/suggestions, thats why im posting here, as i know most growers on this website can help me. I am getting a digital camra in the next couple of days so in the next week or so i should be able to start fiesting your eyes on some nice tasty pics!

medcardman

2. i am not shure about how high to hang your lights but i might be able to help you with how tall. I am doing my first grow right now and I have been told the the plants will more then double in size once you start flowering. You can start flowering when it 12" tall but you can flower anytime you want. Mine are about 20" tall and I am still going to wait 2 more weeks. It all depends on the hight of your grow space.

Have fun and good luck

3. thx. i know i could start flowering anytime but since my closet is 6 feet tall minus space for lights and 2 gallon pots, were looking at about only 4 1/2 feet total space + hps i think should be about a foot away from seedlings/clones so thats about 3 1/2 feet so thats about 40-42 inches so im guesing grow about 20 inches then flower ????????????

4. hey man look in to lst training meathod it will turn the plants sideways so thet dont waste any verticle space:D it would help a lot i think

5. hey hows it going...with a 400hps your maximum light penetration is around 3ft so why grow any bigger? no light means no bud!