Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Need help with coconut oil calculations

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by cookweednotmeth, Apr 30, 2015.

1. I have 2 cups of coconut oil infused using 1 oz of shake/trim (no keif or hash).

I need to be able to say "I used x amount of oil in these brownies, the dosage is y mg".

Now, don't get me wrong, I have tried to figure it out on my own. But I'm hopeless and dizzy at this point.

The place I'm getting confused at, is some people seem to think 2 cups = 0.5 oz so just use that. But others say, no, there's only an average of 10-15% thc in the 2 cups at this point, so the numbers are completely different. I just want the most accurate dosing info I can estimate for safety.

Just need some kind words (preferably small words, spoken slowly, lol) to help me through this part. Thank-you

2. Dosage is incredibly hard to decipher when using untested material.

You can guess what percentage of active cannabinoids is in it, you are using trim so I'd guess it's 10-15% depending on quality from there you can figure out 10-15% of the weight of trim you put in.

That's roughly 1 - 1 1/2 grams of active cannabinoids per ounce of material (again, it all depends on quality).

1g of cannabinoids is equivalent to 1000mg.

I'm high AF hope that makes sense. You can calculate it yourself :)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. #3 cookweednotmeth, May 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2015
    That makes sense, how did you get the 1 - 1 1/2 g per oz of liquid ?

Or does the amount of oil that the 1 oz goes INTO, not factor in ?

4. It's mg of THC/weight of coconut oil which is your maximum concentration. For example, 1000mg of THC/3000mg of coconut oil is a 33% concentration.  If you wanted to make it a 25% concentration, you would add enough coconut oil to equal 4000 mg (1000mg/4000mg = 25%).  So you need the WEIGHT of the coconut oil and the amount of pure THC (or an approximation) in your herb. [​IMG]

5. #5 cookweednotmeth, May 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2015
    So I put in 28000 mg of trim, which should be 2800 mg of THC. (assuming 10%)
    I have total, 432000 mg of coconut oil. So does that mean I have 0.006 mg of THC per mg of oil ? (2800 / 432000)

So if I wanted a 50 mg dose, I would need to have 8333 mg of oil ? (50 mg / 0.006mg)

Continuing, if I had a recipe for 20 cookies, and I wanted 50mg in each one, I would need to add 20 x 8333mg = 166660 mg of oil (166 grams or 5.86 oz or 12 tablespoons according to a coconut oil conversion website)

Just trying to keep it all in the same measurement family.

6. You can make the math easier by factoring out the mass of the coconut oil on both sides of the equation (let's assign it a variable "x").

1oz herb = 28g

28g of herb / 56 cookies = 0.5g (500mg) herb per cookie = 50mg THC dose per cookie (assuming 10% potency)

Therefore you should make 56 cookies with your total quantity of oil ("x") containing 1oz herb if you want the cookies to be approximately 50mg THC potency. 

You can add virgin oil if necessary to bring the total oil quantity up to what is required for the cookie recipe. 

7. Thank You (everyone!) for the help, I finally have a grasp of this where I can adapt it to various projects.

Cheers!

8. Now that I'm sober, I can see I made a mistake in my calculations 10-15% of 1 oz is 2.8 - 4.2 grams.what I ment to say was 1-1.5 grams of active Canibinoid for every 10 grams

Dosing can get very complicated

DM me and I can help you figure it out. Once you have how much active cannabinoids are in your starting material you can't begging to estimate how much will be in your end material. Again with out testing its all a guess, an educated guess, but a guess none the less

9. Also just read further down. It depends what size caps you are using.

Start with a 1/10 ratio when you cook it, that will be about 100 mg per cap

But make that ratio with you active cannabinoids content not the dry trim weight. DM me with specific questions :)

Just recently made some my self