Need help with Clones! (Pics Included)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Intermezo, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Hey guys

I've got a female white widow (10 weeks old) that I've made 8 clones from following this technique:

http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced...e-easy-step-step.html?highlight=making+clones

I did everything except soak the cuttings in his formula (I soaked them in root grow instead).

I did all of this 3 days ago and they're starting to look a bit sad. 3 of them look alright but the rest either have droopy or dried up leaves.

I've uploaded some pictures of them, hopefully someone knows what's happening and how to fix it before they die.

Any feedback's appreciated, cheers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I have a couple of suggestions. If you are not misting the clones with water, you should. I have had much better survival rate when I mist them. I also think you will have better luck if you place them under 2 or three 23 actual watt cfls. Keeping them under the continuous light should increase the survival rate. You can also control their environment more easily inside. You could also try to construct a humidity dome. If you get bin that has walls higher than the clones are tall, you can then place clear plastic food rap on the top to hold in moisture, thus raising the humidity. You could also go to the hydro store and buy a seedling flat and humidity dome if you've got the money.

3. Humidity dome, my friend. Those ladies are wilting because of low humidity.

I'd guess those clones are blown. Start with fresh cuts, after you water the plant, and put some kinda dome over it. even a 2 liter bottle cut open, or a coat hanger with a plastic bag over it. Anything to trap the humidity in that lil area.

Caveat, once you do add a dome, make sure to "burp" it daily or create a small open area for ventilation. The three things clones want most are moisture, heat, and oxygen. If you can give them an environment that has all three, you should see much better results.

If you need, you can reuse those lil rooting cubes, but I'd sterilize them with some Hydrogen Peroxide before, just to make sure they're all clean.

4. Yeah, you need a dome. When i took cuttings, I didn't even open the dome for 5 days or even leave a crack for ventilation. If you do everything right when you cut them, and put them straight into the dome with constant light and at least 80-85% humidity you shouldn't have any problems.

The cuttings have no roots and therefore no way to take up water, that's what the high humidity is for, so that they don't lose what little water they have and they can also absorb the water in the air.

5. I have to agree with Grapestreet..... get a dome to cover them up and get them under 24 hours of light.

6. Thanks for the feedback guys.

The tray I bought has a plastic cover/dome that I'm pretty sure keeps the humidity in, as it looks like it's fogged up all the time when it's on.

So if humidity isn't an issue, and they're getting light for about 13-14 hours a day then would it possibly be because I'm not misting them?

Or is the wee plastic cover that I've got over the tray not good enough for keeping humidity in?

Cheers

7. It could be the quality of the clones you cut

8. I didn't realize you had a dome, if it's fogging up it should work fine. It might be sunlight is too intense, or the duration of the light, or temperature in the dome. I would still try to move them inside and keep them under 24 hours of florescent lighting.

9. It is a good sign that the dome covers with moisture. But your getting temp
    fluctuations outside. Your emulating nature and in that environment only the
    strongest pheno will live. Darwinian logic of course. This is why you want to try
    to create a nature like environment with certain distinctions to ensure as many
    clones as possible take root. You want a better than nature environment.

1) constant uninterupted light
    2) constant warmth (steady temp)
    3) constant humidity results from constant warmth

You are not providing any of these. If you have 10 clones going 1 or 2 will
    survive and they will be the strongest in the group.

If you can't get a heat pad you can use your GAS stove top by placing the tray
    over the pilot light area. It is always warm. An electric baby blanket in a plastic
    bag. Ive even seen a light used to heat the bottom of a metal shelf that they
    placed the tray on. (scary)

Best bet is get a heat pad and take the girls inside ...... :wave:

10. 24 hours of light. While they're not actually using the light in the first couple days, having it on all the time will also deter the plant from dumping its nutrients into the reservoir, and help prevent pathogens from growing (except algae).