Need help with Car stuff...

Discussion in 'General' started by sxesadie, May 15, 2008.

1. I suck when it comes to knowing anything about cars, so anyone with car knowledge your advice would greatly appreciated!

I'm looking for a new car, not brand new just a car in general but I'm REALLY cheap and so far only have about $2,000 saved up. I've been praying for a cheap *good* car to fall into my lap but of course if I spend 2 grand on a used car, it is more than likely I'll have to spend twice as much fixing it up.

However, my mom has a 1997 Suzuki that has worked well this whole time although there it's currently down because of the radiator or something. I really want to take the car and just fix it up but it's a manual transmission and I can't drive a stick shift for shit.

So my question is would it be a better investment to take my money and just get the car switched to an automatic transmission (if that's even possible) and fix the minor problems with it until I can actually get hold of some big bucks???

2. You're not going to be able to switch a manual car to an automatic unless you want to pay a shit load to get all the inner working of the car gutted out and replaced. If you do not want to learn or drive a manual then you would be best off buying a cheap used car (look at VW's) but knowing how to drive a manual is a good skill in life.

3. toyota camery, its one of the best cars on the road in terms of fuel efficiency, durability, and safety.

4. After calling around to a few places and everyone sounding completely dumbfounded by my question on the phone I guess it would be alot cheaper to just take lessons and get the minor stuff in the car fixed. Thanks for the help though!

5. it's not worth trying to switch the Suzuki to automatic (even if it's possible).
    ..and radiator problems can be expensive so be careful with that.

Toyota Corollas are cheap and reliable and there's tons of them around so you'll always be able to find parts if you need to. GL man!

6. K if you only have 2k and you want a good reliable car, be sure its a japanese car. for example, subaru, toyota, and honda. all of these cars are built like tanks and will go for ever. Do not waste your time and money on either a suzuki (crappy car in my opinion, even there bikes are made funny) or a transmission swap. Either find a automatic or learn to drive stick. Which after a week of only having a stick to drive youll have it down i promise.

Car manufacturers to stay away from on a low budget:
    -anything american, there only good for ther first 5 years of there life then they become a money pit. Especially Gm's
    -Jeeps are the bastardized child of cars, with gm and ford parts.
    -European cars, yeah there nice but replacing a part and maintenance will cost a arm and a leg.

Basically stick with Toyota or Honda if you dont need 4 wheel drive because there cheap. And if you do need 4 wheel drive then go for a 92-98 impreza l, usually around 2 or 3k, or a older legacy. Oh and 89-94 toyota pick ups are fun little trucks for 4 wheeling and daily driver, thats what i drive right now and it takes me where i need to go.

Driving a stick is easy, slowly release the clutch till you feel it engage, then feather the gas(raising the RPMS) and slowly release the clutch while easing on the gass, after a few tries youll have it down.

7. $2000 is a decent amount to buy a car with looks and reliablility. And Im assuming you want something good on gas? Now you have to keep in mind no matter what people say is HOW you treat the car will depend on its life. Its a fact, dont change the oil? Engine gets all gummed and junked up adn performs crappy. Its general wear and tear on machinery and it must be replaced/maintained. Dont go and buy a Daewoo or Kia..those are horrible. Your best bet would be stay with Toyota/Honda/Nissan. But Id suggest taking someone who knows about cars with to shop around. There are sure signs when its running/driving of problems that could be wrong. See how it idles at cold start vs when its warm. But anyways I dont suggest changing from manual to auto, to much money, no offense its a Suzuki, not a project car getting turned into a hot rod dragster. Id learn manual, its not hard at all, took me 10 minutes to get it down. Try driving in the city of Chicago with manual your first time..youll learn quick. Look online for some basic used automotive buying tips. Its your best bet..especially if your not a car guy and dont know the some signs and sounds of the engine.

8. Ok, some of you people have no idea what you are talking about. Me and my friend have done auto to manual transmission switches, but you don't want to do that. If the transmission you have works then leave it and learn how to drive a stick. Thats one of the best things you can do. And for two radiator problems are not expesive to fix if you do the work yourself. Let me know exactly whats going on with the car and I can help you. Yea,a l the people are talking about Toyotans and Nissans and Honda, but it's about how the car was taken care of.

9. maybe you should try a 94 95 camaro my friend bought his for around 3000 and it was really nice im sure they have them for cheaper

10. a transmission swap would probally be pointless
    b/c it would pblly be more for labor than the parts lol...

considering the fact that the transmission is gone i am sure the engine would be coming soon

so then you would be fucked

may i suggest an import

they are cheap, reliable, and good on gas

best of luck man

11. You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to discuss the exact problems of the car with my mom tonight.

However I'm thinking it would be a better investment to (if my mom agrees) take the Suzki and pay to get what ever is wrong with it fixed, since it's already paid off and I know how it runs and insurance is all ready on it. That would be better right?

12. Labor is expecive. Just find out whats wrong and I will tell you if you should take it to a shop or not. It's a lot cheaper to do your own work.

13. You can also pick up a Haynes repair manual for like $20 and that's more than enough to guide most people through something easy like a radiator replacement. I learned a lot about cars just by fixing the stuff that broke on my POS's over the years...

14. the last car i owned was a buick regal, had zero problems with it, only routine maintenance like brakes n shit, it was a 92 n had 50,000 miles on it when i bought it for 2300

my current car is an 89 buick riviera, so far have had zero problems up until now, because of a fuel line problem, but thats nothin major, and being almost 20 years old, it runs like brand new

paid 3000 for it

buicks are nice cars, comfortable and a very smooth ride

god damn ricers

15. Your best choice for a vehicle would be new, but seeing as how thats kind of out of the question...

Switching that car, let alone almost any car, from a manual transmission to an automatic, or vice versa, would cost more than a few thousand dollars; unless you could do it youself, then you could probably do it for one to two grand. I'd buy that because there are so many lemons out there its pathetic, and practice makes perfect - or better.

16. Im not being a ricer, im just telling him what are good cheap cars. Im in automotive technology in college learning to work on cars. And from what ive seen and worked on, the imports are the easiest and cheapest to maintain.

17. I say learn how to drive a stick.
    Once you learn its fun to drive, i love driving manuals over automatics.

18. my parents taught me on a stick it was the best thing they could have done. its a useful skil and once u get the hang of it, its fun!:hello:

19. Go honda. fuk european cars they are designed to break even we brits know that ive screwed so many peugeots, citroens and renaults up and cost soo much money till I discovered JAP. ive had a civic for 2 years now all ive done is replace the battery cause it was stood when I bought it ,picked up the car for £400 or $800 .................. once youve had jap you'l never go back ;)