Need help with cabinet design

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Noxide, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Attached a cheesy pic with the approx dimensions. Keep in mind I can remove any of the shelfs and just have a box basically, which would measure about 2x4x6

At first I wanted to have a place for veg/flower/clone, but Im realizing this box wont be nearly enough the size. I have 4 seedlings coming up and need a place for them to go. I need help in making this box come alive. I plan on using CFL lighting.

I can split the cabinet in half and basically have a 2x2x5 area for veg and a 2x2x5 for flower and the top shelf for storage and cloning. But I doubt 4 plants will fit in a 2x2x5 area right?

Im starting to think to just remove all the shelfs and that should be enough room for 4 plants. Any advice on ventalation?

Anyways.. Just take a look at the cab and just give me some thoughts on what you would do.. THANKS!

Attached Files:

2. I would remove the shelves and divider, use the 2x4x5 space for flowering. I would use a 400w in an air cooled hood, and use the cfls for a veg box.

Doing it the way you described with cfl, you'll harvest a fraction of what you could if you use hps. What's your budget, btw?

3. I would like to stay under $200-$300. I had a pc grow awhile back so I still have CFL's, mylar, nutes, soil and such. And the cab obviously.

I considered a 400watt HPS, but I just didnt want to have to start with CFLs then switch to HPS during flower. Swapping bulbs would be easier. What do you mean with veg box? A box outside of this cabinet? I would like to keep all the growing in this cab. Unless you meant the top part of the cab to be a veg box?

4. You don't have to start with cfl, I start seedlings under hps all the time. I have 250w, 400w, and 600w lights, and they do just fine for veg.

You can build a NICE cabinet for $300, give you half pound+ harvests. By veg box, I mean something like your pc box, for clones or whatever... to give you a head start on your next round.

Better to quadruple your harvest (or more), than to cut your space in half. You can harvest a half pound, or you can harvest an ounce or two. Depends on how you're set up. Are you asking what you can do to get the most for your buck, what you can do for the best harvests? Maybe I just don't understand what kind of help you're looking for.

5. Ok that sounds really good. Having one HPS fixture beats having a few DIY CFL fixtures.

I currently have my 4 seedlings in my pc box right now while Im setting this cab up. So yes I can use my pc box for cloning! :)

The help im looking for is just getting this cab set up. Ive only grown once under cfl in a pc box. So going to a 6ft tall cab is a big jump for me. And going from 1 plant to 4. I just want to know how I should set this box up? I can get a 400watt HPS per your advice, np. I'll remove the divider and use the 2x4x5 area for veg/flowering. What can the top section be used for?

6. The top section might not be tall enough for a fan/filter, but you'll have to check the dimensions on your product. I'd use it for storage, if nothing else.

This is one of those rare times where I'd advise generic equipment for maximum yield with your budget. Buy cheap shit, harvest a half pound, then upgrade to quality equipment. Amazon has fan/filter combos for $100, Greentrees has light kits... Customize Your Grow Light

7. Thanks for the links, lots of HPS options! I'll need to some research. Hopefully I can make a buying decision in the next day or two, Ive got lots of work to do on this cab!

Thanks Bro!

8. Off-topic, but that may be the most neat/organized male wardrobe I've ever seen...

You have OCD or something? :p

9. :p LOL.. Nope no OCD

10. Nice... comes with rope ratchets, timer, cooltube, 2 bulbs. Good find.

11. Whoa, whoa, whoa...

Lets back up a lil' bit here n' ask a few important questions shall we?

How much bud you looking to get? And how often?

I got pals getting over 3oz with just a few cfl's...HPS is far from the end all to be all.

I play around in google sketchup all the time designing growbox's. Gimme some realistic expectations and I'll design a box that fits in the budget and delivers the yeilds.

12. I by no means need a lot of bud. I rarely even smoke LOL. I get a week off from work once a month so I usually smoke once or twice a month. Sometimes none! I make really good money and thats why I dont smoke often, but budget isnt much of a concern. I guess I really grow for the thrill and hobby. I still have weed left over from my 1 plant pc grow from last june lol.

If you want to design a box that would be cool. The total dimensions is 2x4x6. I ordered a 400watt MH/HPS cool tube. Just need to figure out ventilation and so light doesnt leak in/out from the vent holes including odor control vent. Stealth is kinda important, even though this is my own home just want to make it not look like anything if visitors come over and for some odd reason go in my closet.

But if I were to have any expectations, id rather have too much than not enough! I wouldnt mind getting a couple ounces each harvest. Having 3-4 plants going at one time.

This is only my 2nd grow so im still very new to this. Obviously I dont need to be going crazy with this but owell! :)

13. lol...400w eh? I'll have something for ya tomorrow.....cuz' I like a challenge.

14. 400w not enough?

15. #16 5th, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013

Too much actually. Another general rule is 50w of light per square foot. Granted your space is 4'x2'...but lets look at how the light is received shall we?

HID bulbs emit light from the sides, not the top or the end. Now we add the fact you have to run that bulb/cool tube parallel with your cab (the 4ft length not the 2ft depth as the cooltube is too big)...reflector or not...the lights not going to cover the actual 8sqft.

I've seen it done, I'm not saying it can't be done....your just now buying bigger/more equipment to make it work is all.

I'll borrow a few pics from the intrawebs and post them here in an edit to show you what I mean. :)

I'll go play around in sketchup now. Back ina bit.

Re:Edit

Are you wanting to use that exact cabinet? The one in the picture?

I'm asking because you'll need to remove the center vertical support in order to fit your tube/light/ducting...and it will severly weaken the strength of the stucture.

Attached Files:

16. Well im open to suggestions, but yes this cabinet is the one that will be used. I already removed the divider I installed some L brackets on each corner to stabilize the cabinet. It seems to be sturdy enough.

The cool tube shows to be 27in long - thats going to leave about 10in on each side of the cool tube.

I guess I could have looked into have (2) 150w cool tubes in series? Not sure if that requires 2 ballasts? What other options do I have?

17. ...you have many, many options.

This box is 11"x11" for example.

It's all a matter of how much smoke you want/need...

Attached Files:

18. Well I already have the cab. I already have 4 plants, and I already have a 400watt HPS... Just going to slap it all in there and start a log this weekend. Well see how it goes! :smoking: