Need help with building and setting up a small grow room or box

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by pr0dyg3, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Hello all. I am looking to grow up to 4 plants. I have been searching alot of different guides, how-to's, videos, books, pictures, apps...etc. And its all great info and I learned a ton, however. everything i have come across is for gro rooms of 10 or more plants 5 sq ft of room.

My main concerns are:

1.) What lighting should i use? The same for the larger grow rooms? I was thinking fluorescent lights strategically placed would be better because a more powerful light may create too much heat for such a small area. If I do use the less powerful light type how many? I am thinking to secure 2 fluorescent strip type lights in the corner between the top and the sides so the light is directed across the tops of the plants and down into the stalks. Does it matter what part of the plant is getting more or less light? I understand that the leaves themselfs act like solar panels so would maybe just 1 Fluorescent directly above?

2.) Soil. I am currently testing a grow operation with 4 plants. Nothing name brand just a few seeds from my stash. In my research the most common soil ratio make up for N:p:K was 20:10:10. However when i went to go get soil only one brand had the ratio info on it and it was nothing even close to that. So I also had remembered that alot of people said Peat moss and perlite. So I went with that. I mixed the peatmoss and perlite as per the label. Was I suppose to add normal soil in it as well?? Also I have read that you should make sure you have sand in the mix for draining then read the exact opposite.

3.) Nutrients. How do I test the soil for nutrients? Or is there even a test for it? Whats the proper ph? Again I have read conflicting things no less than 6 and no more than 7.5 is the average info i have read. How do you add nitrogen to the soil? The 4 plants I currently have are not doing well, not that I expected them to be great for the very first time i have tried to grow...well...anything lol. But I look my plants over 2 times a day sometimes 4 or 5. Well I started to see certain signs that I read about in the treoubleshooting section of most of the things I read. As far as i was understanding was droopy leaves means over watering, however it is also showing signs of dehydration, wilting leaves, the second set of leaves are not full and flush they are starting to get spiny looking. I touch the soil and the top of the soil is damp. In the 3 weeks i have had them actually in soil I have only had to water them one time according to the dampness in the soil.

4.) Exhaust. Odor is not an issue for me. I do know I still need a fan to breeze across the leaves to rid the tips of the leaves of the toxin they release as part of the waste gases, but do I need an advanced exhaust system for such a small scale? If so will PC fans suffice? How many?

5.) I was going to go into the local garden shop and ask about growing tomatos inside over the winter, but I am unsure how much of the needs of tomatos and weed are exactly the same at the same time.

Thanks for taking the time out to read this. I am very very serious about growing and I am not the type to do something if I cant do it the right way. Thank you in advance for all your help.

M

2. I learn after using cfl, that HPS is cheaper than CFL long term.

3. Ok why number the questions and then ask 10 inside each one. I'm glad to help u out but I need something more organized to really base an educated answer to.

Edit: BTW any HID is going to be way more efficient than flouros and cfls. More lumens per watt

4. Going off the main questions I saw.

1. Go with mh/hps. Cheap kits on amazon. Find a cool tube or air cooled hood.

2.\tA good soil is Foxfarm ocean forest, roots organic, or sunshine mix.

3. Foxfarm Nute trio, Advanced Nutrient Sensi Grow/Bloom a+b. A
    healthy pH is 6.3-6.8.

5. Thanks to everyone for the tips and help