Need Help/ Turning Locker Into Grow Box First Timer

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by KGB420, May 20, 2014.

1. In part of a inheritance I gained a metal locker from a family member from ky and ill b taking it back to CO w/ me. But I need suggestion, opinions, and help. It's a metal two door (w/ lock) cabinet made in the 40's. It has shelves that screw into place so I can move them as needed. The measurements inside are 67 inches tall, 36 inches from left to right, and 16 inches from front to back. My plan so far is to buy two t5 4ft 4lamp ballast (for vertical lighting) and attach the ballast to the back and run my wiring inside to save space inside, then horizontal lighting: t5 2ft 4lamp ballast, but I'm very open to suggestions and opinions this will b my first grow and I want to learn all I can. I'm not sure what to do for ventilation, or what to do for a filter to keep the smell down. Plus can I get by w 3 girls n this size cabinet or do I only have enough room for two? I have access to AK47, LA Confidential, and Northern Lights/Purple Haze and want to grow one of each, but don't want to over crowd them. I will b posting pics as I go and keeping a log. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. I wouldnt grow in a metal container.

Heat seems like it would be a major issue imo.

Got a pic? Might help see what yure imagining.

3. Yeah I'll take some pics tomorrow n get them posted after wrk. Thanks

4. Sorry took me a little longer to post the pics than I wanted. Work is very demanding. But to help on the heat issue figured attaching the ballast on the back and running the wires through. Or will the t5 ho lights put off a lot of heat?

5. KGB, 
     Did you get this sorted out yet or is this still on your plate about the heat? 
    Just as a note about this some of the most popular grow cabinets are metal and heat is an easily solved issue with little more than the addition of ventilation, air movement, and the proper lighting for the situation. 

The T5's will put off some heat but not an amount that can't be over come with ventilation. I would seriously look into a system like this
    http://growace.com/4-inch-190-cfm-charcoal-filter-and-duct-fan-combo-kit.html?gclid=CjkKEQjww6SdBRDls9vxsf7EoM0BEiQART_xPnEWcR1YS01ytIZgNvoKkDEfRNnPfM5VrG1qYu8z83Xw_wcB
     This will take some work to install this but it doesn't sound like you would shy away from that. It would just be a matter of drilling/cutting a 4" hole in the cabinet and mounting the vent, as well as an intake port somewhere near the bottom of the box.
    Obviously I'm not a pro at this but I am staying at a Holiday Inn Express tonight.

6. Fire bolt
    Sorry its took so long to reply. Life has been overly busy. I ended up going w a ventech 6in 440 cfm fan and carbon filter. Its huge does it make a difference if I put it vertical or horizontal. I don't want any bends n my ducting as it cuts down on the cfm. Also got a speed controller for the fan so I can turn it down or up. Also w the exhaust I have what size intake do I need. Also went w hydrafarm t5's and four 65watt mogul base CFL's. One more question I purchased white mylar, should I insulated the box w some poly shield I have laying around not being used? Thought about cutting fitted pieces if the insulation glueing the mylar to it and having it insulated. And would a humidifier n the same room as cabinet help keep it cool? Thanks

Sent from my Z992 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. You should put a 400w in there

8. 400w, cooltube, 6" fan/filter.

You can certainly grow 3 plants in there, I would use the shelving frame to mount a screen for training.

9. KGB, 
     The fan kit that you got will be outstanding for your needs. As far as the insulation, it wouldn't hurt to put it up as long as you have it, I just wouldn't go out of your way to do so.
     The humidifier would help keeping the humidity up in the start and would be nice to have in your back pocket if you have issues with low RH during the cycles, but a lot of that will be regulated on its own with the airflow and air movement within the box.
     As far as the intake, there are several formulas out there and when asked you will get 20 different opinions on how much or how little you will need. I personally would drill 4-5, 3" holes in the back about 3" from the bottom and see how the air flow and temp is during a dry run with the lights on just to see if more is needed. Just keep in mind the light that can enter/escape there. I would rivet 2, 1/2" 'C' channels on the outside, top and bottom of the intake holes 6" apart to allow for a HVAC type filter to be slid over the holes and on the inside I'd use a piece of black PVC cut in half large enough to completely cover the holes to stop light penetration. 
     Orientation of the filter really doesn't matter, whatever is going to give you the most room for the baby girls when growing. The only thing to keep in mind is that you want the air flow to be as bottom to top as you can for the best air exchange.  

I know how the whole life getting in the way thing goes... Some days I feel like I've got more irons in the fire than fire to cover those irons... If you know anybody that has a rectifier for a 2003 Buell XB9R on hand send it my way or if you know somebody who can rebuild a transom on a '74 16' OB boat send them my way too :ey:  

10. Here it is about finish up today and throw my clones n. Wish me luck. I'll keep u posted thanks for all the info and help

11. yea they need to reach for light like in nature only having side lighting couldbe an issue even if you were to put 100 watts of cfl power at the top 100 true whats not equivilants

12. My pictures won't upload. Got t5's at top and will probably keep the big CFL's at top also got some space cause I had yo position t5s a little to the right due to my fan took up some space in the top

13. Everything is rolling good.

14. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407028620.617085.jpg
    They were monster cropped 6.18.14. Got some LA CONFIDENTIAL, and Northern Lights.

15. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1408916579.482557.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1408916639.137458.jpg

17. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410218762.896454.jpg
    This is 20 days into flower.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410218818.002016.jpg