Need help please (Pics included)

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by tr1ck_, May 18, 2006.

1. Need help with the plant showing grey/yellow spots on the mid leaves. (2 weeks in)
    -How to fix it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tr1ck_
    Since you gave no detail about your grow and conditions, I had to go back and research all of your posts (good thing there are not many). What toasty was saying to you was all correct. It looks like you have better soil here. What is it? Do you now have 1 plant per pot? Also, did you get some different fertilizer? The stuff you had was good for flower. What type NPK and how often do you fertilize now if any? Do you have a fan in your room? Nowhere did I see mention of a fan. What is the temperature ranges in the room?

3. We have 2 pots. 2 plants per pot each pot is 9 inches wide, 18 inces long, and 9.5 inches deep. The soil is a 50% Rich top soil, 25% Perlite, and 25% Peat Moss. We are using the same 10-15-10 but half the recommended dose on the bottle. Yes we have a fan, we keep the temperature between 70-80 usually 75 exactly. Temperature is controlled with AC.

We had the plants under a 250watt HPS until recently we decided to put it under our 85watt Metal Halide due to the increase blue spectrum that we heard was better during vegatative growth. That is when the spots first appeared. At first we thought it was the light reflector we had made out of foil that caused burns so we took it out, however the spots continued to expand. We have now moved it back out of the grow box with the MH and back into the other part of the closet with the 250watt HPS.

I will post pictures in a few minutes I need to search for some batteries.

4. You do realize that even if we solve this problem the next problem will be those plants are competing against each other and will struggle? Get them into separate pots. One plant, one pot.

Also, how old are these plants? You started ferting too early a while back, I just wonder if you are over ferting again. You also need to use a fert that is high in N (the first number) not high in P (the second number) for veg.

Yes MH is better for veg but in your case my vote is to use the HPS instead because of the wattage difference alone. 85 watts is not a lot. If you have a way to check the soil ph that will clear up any nutrient lock-out problems. Report what the ph is at. Don't think this is it but, you don't use an ozone filter to kill smell do you?

P.S. Do you see this just on bottom leaves or top leaves or what?

5. We're buying new pots this weekened and will do it then. We think the over use of fertilizer might be causing the effects. The box said to use 4 full droppers per gallon. We only used 1 1/2. However, we wanted other opinions from people with experiece. Thanks to you we were helped :) These 2 bigger ones are 3 weeks, and the 2 really tall plants are about 9 days. We are using a small Ionic Breeze in the closet even though it doesn't really smell. The marks are on the 2nd node out of 4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. OK
    The Ionic Breeze does put out ozone (unless it has that ozone guard) but, I just don't think it would be enough to harm the plants unless you have it right up against them. Therefore, yes, I am leaning towards either over-fert or nitrogen deficiency. Both look kind of similar at first and both are likely especially since you are using a fert lower in N. But, I think it is still over fert. Maybe Stitch or Unoit will come along and clear it up for us.

7. Thanks a lot, what fert would you recomend for us to purchase for veg state and how much/ how often should we use it? We are also on 24 hours of light, would it be a good idea to switch to 18/6 or continue 24/0.

8. Since you are going to use the 10-15-10 for flower I would suggest using something similar for veg such as 15-10-10. If you get generic store bought fertilizer, go with something that works for vegetables. With chemical ferts you have to be careful not to overdo it so, for the store bought stuff fertilize with 1/2 of what the directions on the back say.

The question on 24/7 or 18/6 has been strongly debated here on grass city threads. Every time someone starts a thread asking that question, there is always a heated discussion that takes place. Therefore, I will tell you that both are acceptable however, if it was me I would go 18/6 if using the HID.

9. I actually have a 10-52-10 fert for flowering. wouldn't that be better than the 10-15-10 for flowering? I will get the 15-10-10 ASAP.

Here are some updated pictures from a few minutes ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. I think the 10-52-10 is a bit high. But if you use that just have a similarly high N fert for veg like 30-15-10 or something. Do you know the ph of your soil?

11. your plant doesnt like the soil it is in, probably a defficiency or PH problem, it will probably get over it.​

12. Ok, today some changes were made. We found out our soil PH was roughly 6, we needed to transplant to new pots anyways so we purchased much better soil this time. After It was all mixed up it tested at 6.5 PH. The plants are now all in individual pots. We now have both the 250watt HPS and the 85watt MH running at the same time. Here are some pictures of our updated settup, however it is still in progress.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Now we are talking business!

14. The problem seems to be continueing but at a slower rate, the newer leaves are staying pretty green but the lower leaves are getting a bit worse. Here are some pictures

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Ok.
    So you have good soil now with no nutes. Your ph is still 6.5? How about nutes? Did you get the veg formula? What type is it, how much do you give it and how often?

16. Soil is still 6.5 I got Miracid Acid Loving (I found out that might not be good later) 30-10-10 so that it would mix with my 10-52-10 for flowering. I put in 200ml to each plant with the fert mixed at 1/2 strength once, and I have watered 3 times with no fert since, and then this morning I put 50 ml in each with 1/2 strength. Both times I checked the PH of the water with the fert and it was 6.6-6.8 so it wasnt to acid which was what I was worried about. The upper leaves are looking very green and pointing right up to the light looking healthy its just the lower ones on two of the plants that have the problem.

17. Ok,
    If you just fertilized it than what is happening is you are burning them with too much. Only use the MG 30-10-10. Do not mix the two. Also, don't fert for another 2 weeks give or take. I think you are ferting too much. A soil flush when they dry out will be in order. Then when you resume, use as YOUR full strength ferting HALF of what is recommended on the box.