Need help*** plants are stunted

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by whateverworks, Apr 21, 2019.

1. First post!

Unfortunately i am posting because i need help very badly.

I have 4 seedlings in rapid rooter starter plugs. All have healthy roots out of the bottom. I have a standard hydroponic entry level setup. 4 sites, 1 air stone, about a 1.5 gallon reservoir?..

In a sealed box with an intake vent, and a pc fan that blows outlet air. Mars hydro led. I think 240watts ??

Humidity says around 40-60%
    Temperature between 75-85f.

Anyway, two plants are about 3 weeks old and two are 2 weeks old. They have almost completely stopped growing and are all about the same size at just a couple inches tall. All leaves are curled down and droopy.

I thought maybe they were overwatered but the rapid rooter plugs stay damp and i dont water from the top so i cant do much about that.

I am also having algae issues. I change my reservoir once a week and it turns green again within about a day. I tried using hydrogen peroxide but havent solved it yet..

Feeling a bit frustrated. Been thinking maybe i should just use soil but controlling ph seems more difficult so im not sure.

Vets please chime in!

2. This is one of the plants at about 3 weeks old

Attached Files:

3. I don't think I understand your set up. You have 4 plants going with one 1.5 gallon reservoir? What is the temp of your reservoir and what pH are you using? What are you feeding? Can you take a pic without the blurple light and without the foil around the plant so I can see what's under there?

4. Thats a good question.. i am not sure what my water temp is. I need to get a thermometer for it. Here are a couple better images. Its one reservoir with four sites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. I only used the foil to block out all light to the water in an effort to control the algae problem.

6. #6 MickFoster, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Is that a do it yourself set up? Definitely block out any light or you will not only get algae but you'll get root rot. Your res temps should be under 75F or you'll get root rot as well. I suggest you supplement your nute solution with Hydroguard for healthy roots. And I would also ad more airstones - that water should be churning. Lack of oxygen will cause drooping and slow growth - you can't have enough bubbles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. That makes sense. Its a kit that came with my box. Just came with one airstone but i will grab another for sure. Do you think lack of oxygen in the water is the reason for the slow growth as well?

Also, how do you bring your reservoir temps down?

8. Yes, lack of oxygen will slow growth.
    I'm surprised that a manufactured kit is white and has a clear side - bad idea.
    A chiller is the best way to keep res temps down but they're expensive. When I ran DWC I used frozen water bottles in the res - a pain in the ass but it works and it beats root rot.
    Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. So i ordered an airstone, pump and some hydro guard per your advice. My reservoir is getting very green now..

Are my plants okay? Or is this too out of control? These seeds werent cheap.

10. Throw a frozen water bottle in there to lower the temps and make sure you cover it so light doesn't get to the res.
    All you can do at this point is lower the temps in the res, add Hydroguard when it arrives, and cross your fingers.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Got it! Thank you so much for all your help.

Also, i shined a light on the side of my res and could see it shine through into the water so im pretty thats why i have the algae. Along with the temps being a bit high.

I am ordering a BLACK one to replace it -.-

• Like Like x 1
  12. Put duct tape on it in the meantime and also on the white top. I'm amazed that a company would sell a product like this - clear sides and a white top is a recipe for disaster. Good luck.

13. The bottom and sides are actually white just like the too but ya.. light shines through. Im upset