Need help on clonning nebula and kush's

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Wonderskunk, May 9, 2010.

1. I took one cutting of a friends flowering nebula plant and it rooted fast and produced a very nice mom for me but when I started clonning I only got one out of ten to root and I grew it out and very happy with buds and I am now cloning again for a new show and I'm cloning it and as well as kushberry and Kandy kush. The Kandy kush roots well at a 80% rate but the kushberry and nebula are taking a while and not rooting as well as I thought. So my ? Is. Are sum strains harder to clone then others and if so are there any tips to clonning harder strains?????

2. yes, some strains are harder to clone than others.

to help you with cloning we would need to know your cloning methods and setup.

3. i have 2 dr 60 grow tents my veg has tent has 7x42 watt cfls
    my flower has a 250 hps and 84 watt of cfl

my veg tent has 2 moms 1 nebula and 1 kandy kush but i have a buddy who has the moms of kushberry and og kush

i have a clone dome in my veg tent with 2X42watt sitting right over it my temps are 25c and 95% hum i use a blade to cut the clones then kept them in water as my rooting pucks soak in water then i dip the 45degree angle in to stim root#1 then right in to the pucks if i left any thing out let me know but that is my basic system

4. first thing i would worry about is the amount of light you put on them. Clones dont need much light at all. I keep mine 12"-14" from my floro tubes.

pucks? are they jiffy pots? expanding peat pellets that make a small netted pot when wet?

what happens to your clones? do they yellow? wilt? droop?

are you using rooting hormone?

5. the temp in the veg tent is 22-24c and in the dome 25-27 the light i put over it i feel is whats is making it warm enuff to keep the humidity up but i will try moving the light away and seeing the hum

i have one that is wilted and all the others are standing up and keeping the couler
    the pucks are the expanding peat pucks
    and stim root #1 is the hormone

when i was buying the stim root there were 3 # 1-3 1 was soft wood , 2 was med wood and 3 was hard wood i got #1 is that right ???

my kany kush roots no problem in 8-12 days

its the nebula and og kush and kushberry that is taking forever they have been rooting for over 2 weeks

6. im not familiar with your particular rooting hormone, but softwood should be fine.

i most definitely suggest moving the light further away. 1 foot is fine for a single CFL. I had a lot of issues when i tried to keep the light directly on top of them. Just remember, they cant photosynthesize until they have roots, so the light is just there to let them know they are alive.

do you scrape or cut small slits on the bottom of your stems before applying the rooting hormone?

7. stim root is a powder got it recomended by a grower friend in vancouver

i have split the base of the cutting in the past but the last batch i did not

i have seen people scrape it and others split and sum dont do any
    i see the logic and benifit from exposing the fresh matter
    what do u sugest

8. i just read to take clones off bottom of plant. less time to root. i hope this helps.

9. ya i have heard that as well but i have taken clones from all over i took 15 clones from each of my moms

the moms are about 8 months old and in 1 g squar pots they are about a foot and a half tall
    how ooften should i be root triming and replanting i cant really move them up in pot size

10. i definitely suggest doing one or the other, i kind of do both. It exposes more fresh tissue where roots eventually spring from.

my process is...

using fresh sterilized scissors i take my cutting from the plant. I take from anywhere, sometimes the top, sometimes the bottom. the stems are no more than 1/8" thick. It all depends on where the mother shows my needed growth as to where i take the clones.

I cut my prospective clone with about a 2" stem. 2 full fan leaves and new growth started in the center.

i then recut the clone at a 45* angle and chopping my stem down to 1"-1.5". i cut all large fan leaves in half. new growth leaves i usually leave intact unless they are abnormally big.

now rooting hormone....

i take my sharp scissors and make slices horizontally across the stems. these slices go all the way around the stem, not in a straight line, i just make enough to go all the way around. I do this about 1/2" up the stem (whatever part is going to be sitting in the rooting medium). I dip the stem in way more rooting hormone than i need, just coat everything heavily.

I then take my clone container and prepare a hole with a nail, just big enough for the stem. I stick the clone with rooting hormone in the hole. gently press the soil against it and set it in the humidity dome.

i keep the dome 12" from any light. my temps run low 70's.

they root in about 2 weeks.

what are you doing different?

11. this time i did not strip or slit the bottom
    i use powder u use jell
    and i moved my light up a few "

but thats my think my kandy kush roots well but the nebula kushberry and og kush are not rooting the same so thats why i asked if its the strains

what strains are u clonning ?????????

12. i use powder as well.

i think knicking the stem is a good practice, it provides a quicker path for the hormones.

light will cause a major issue if its too close. im not being facetious when i say you should have it a foot above your clones.

to this point i have cloned unknown bagseed. my latest batch is nepal kush, they are only a few days old but still look as good as the day i took them.

some people will cut the stems at a 45* angle under water to avoid an air bubble in the stem. I have never had a problem with this, so i dont do it.

13. first of thanks for the help

i guess i will just have to wait it out and see how long it will take only time will tell.
    we seem to be doing the same things to clone

i have cloned og kandy and lsd but we ran the mom with out keeping a clone and i am really kicking my self it was so tasty and a very good day time high
    i also did the same thing with green crack kinda want to grow it again but i do know where to get a clone for that

im very fourtunate to have accsess to a wide varity of strains threw a few grower buddys

how big is your clone dome ?

14. what kind of set up do u run grrower

15. My veg chamber is about 4x5. Out of that i only light a 2.5'x4' area with (6) 4' 25W t8 Fluorescent tubes

here's a picture of my latest clones and the dome.

Attached Files:

16. they look really good
    your cuttings look alot shorter then mine but bigger leafs

my mother plants are short and in 1g pots

im working with 2 small grow tents in a apartment i wish i had more room

my tents are each i2'w x 2'd x 5' h

i have it set up for a perpetual but not sure i want to take that all on for the summer cause i want to go camp and do a out door show

so i may just fill my flower tent and let it run a show instead of swaping plants evry 2 weeks as well as training the vegging plants

17. So as normal the Kandy kush was one of the first to root today but I am still not seeing any results from the nebula

18. Hey just my .02 cents here, I def think strain has a lot to do with it when cloning, in my exp some do better than others. such as my Somango 100% but other strains like OG Kush and gold bud II it has been 25-50% Rooting hormones is def key for me when cloning, but for the most part i just use ph'ed water in my bubble cloner with a clone gel applied to stems .

Has any one done a side by side with a B cloner and P pucks or soil ? Just wondering ? any input?

19. I've done side by side with jiffy pots and soil. I much prefer the soil as once the roots appear the plant begins to take up nutes so it never yellows too bad.

I gave up on the jiffy pots, they are nice but soil works better for me.

20. i have never tryed a bubble clonner due to my space as well as buget but one day i would love to make one. i am a diy kinda guy. i bought a dr 60 grow tent to flower in and when i started reading up and doing my homew work i wanted another one to veg in so i just took the the base idea and made one of my own wwiith a wood frame and polly its perfect to fiit my clone dome and i have 2 small moms

i would really like to see a side by side of the b cloner and the p pucks i think the cloner will work better then the dome /puck combo

are there diferent types of hormones that will work better with certain strains ???