Need help on a Ballast and Carbon Scrubber

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Justen, May 15, 2008.

1. Okay guys, I just picked up a 250 Watt SYLVANIA Metalarc bulb as it was the ONLY thing that was available to me at Lowe's.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I need a ANSI M58 ballast for it. I need a cheap one. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, I am going to get a carbon scrubber. Does anyone know of a website that sells cheap but good ones? I am looking to do 2 plants in a 6ft by 3 ft deep, 4/5 feet wide Grow Cab.

Thanks

I am thinking these should be perfect...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150236105403&refid=safetyfilters

http://www.bulbtown.com/MH250_MULTI_TAP_BALLAST_KIT_M58_H37_p/bl-5.htm

Ideas?

2. as far as carbon scrubbers, the ebay one looks good. i use one from the exact same ebay seller, just one size up for my small closet grow (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160229575444). the extra $$ for the next size up might be worth it if you have any concerns over smell leakage with neighbors and all.

don't know much about build-it-yourself ballast kits, but that kit should work well. you'll need a HPS setup for flowering, which will be a whole other bulb and ballast setup. if you want a suggestion, return your MH bulb to lowe's, and then buy a HPS ballast with a HPS bulb and MH conversion bulb. several ebay sellers offer these setups as one whole package. this way you only need one ballast for both bulbs.

3. Thanks mate. I just realized something. I went today and got my Perlite and Vermiculite. Only one problem..

The perlite i bought is the Marical Grow kind and has the ferts. Is this a problem?

4. it's not ideal, but it could work out. as long as the nutes in the perlite are very low i suspect you will be ok.

5. Something to consider is that you want to get the kind of activated carbon that is in non-pellet form if you can. It has a greater surface area and is therefore more effective at removing odor molecules fro the air passing through the filter. There is another ebay vendor selling filters with this type of carbon, just look for it and I am sure that plenty others are selling the same stuff - I got mine for only $70 shipped!

6. I couldn't even find the 'pellets', so I went with that carbon matting.. available at Walmart by the Air Purifiers. I basically got a sheet that's about 3/8" thick and maybe 2 1/2' x 1'. It was just under $10, and I used the Homemade Scrubber method. Havn't hooked it all up yet, but it should work. I hope. This is the material they put into those HEPA air purifiers to remove dust/odors/smoke so I am pretty sure it will work. I've also got enough left over carbon matting to change it another 4-5 times!

7. I have a filter from Foothill Filters hooked up to a lowly Suncourt 8" fan (most people on these boards hate them but they have worked great for me) and for less than $90 total (including shipping and all that jazz) I have one of the best odor filtration systems I have ever seen. The flow rate of air is incredible and there is absolutely no smell what so ever! The best part is that the filter has a removable plug so that when the carbon in the unit is no longer functioning properly I can just pour out the old stuff and pour in new carbon - that's it! I have made several filters myself and in the end none have worked as well and I would have saved $$$ if I had just coughed up a little dough in the first place rather than expend way too much time, energy and money trying to make my own.
    Although I am not affiliated with the manufacturer/maker I have to say that I am soooooo happy with the Foothill Filter product and would recommend their stuff to anyone. Take it as you will