Need help! Metal Halide--Distance from plant?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 420 is the best, Feb 15, 2013.

1. So i just got a new 400 watt Metal halide bulb and a new Ballast for my grow room. I have only 1 plant in here now the room is about 5 feet high and 4 foot wide if that helps! I am curious about how far I should keep the bulb from the plant since its 400watts! any advice would help also! (and by the way i dont have a reflector now because they didn't have any in stock, but im getting that in a week) thanks all!:smoking:

Attached Files:

2. you might not necessarily need a reflector. do you have a ceramic socket?

are you starting more plants?

3. Is that a pot plant?

4. Going to sub to this, I have the same question, except the room I'm going to be growing in is about 8 ft high, Just wondering if the light will be too far from the plant to produce a good yield? Thanks!

Also, what kind of plant is that in the picture?

5. if you are germinating more, plant them a 1/2'' deep. keep the tray under the light (around 3' away to simulate the sun) and also keep a spray bottle with distilled water nearby, or better water if it's available. when the surface looks like it is drying out or above 85f, mist the soil once to keep it from going dry. sprouts in 2-10 days

6. yes it is ceramic, and I am going to be starting more plants soon.
    And that is a pot plant. I know its ugly. I had it in backyard soil for half its life and had 50watts of cfl on it, and nute burned it but im trying to revive him with a better light and trying not to overfeed.

7. man diggin up the OLD pics, here is a 1k MH over seedlings.. This was my first grow, Ive since moved to flouros.... hm.. about 2.5-3 feet maybe?

[​IMG]

8. I have light about 2 feet away from plant. Is that sufficient you think?

9. shit for a 400w thats fine bro

10. [quote name='"ridge"racer']shit for a 400w thats fine bro[/quote] Alright sounds good thanks for the reassurance and advice guys.:hello:

11. Alright sounds good thanks for the reassurance and advice guys.:hello:[/QUOTE]

Same question with a twist. I'm vegging under 600w hps. What should my light distance be?

12. You need to check your surface temp, i can put my 400 about 12 inches away with a fan blowing on it, adjust the height with temp the closer the better you loose spectrem with distance.

13. I got mine about 29 inches away because the temp can get up to 85 at leaf level.

14. Do you have a fan blowing on your surface ? A oscelating fan will reduce your temp allot .

15. Yep sure do and I keep it on medium

16. come on people.

The HAND Test!

"as close as possible is the way to a tight bud." (Confucius)

find out how close you can put your hand for a sustained period.

that is the right distance.

my 400 is about 8-10 inches.

if you get too close, the plants tell you pretty quick.

no big deal. they are a tough plant.

17. True but there has to be an ideal temp. I'm a mechanic and my hands don't get hot easy.

18. I try to go no hotter than 78 tops, I usually keep my tent at 72-76 .

19. Wish I could pull that off