Need help lowering cholesterol quickly

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by sammyboyblake, Aug 3, 2012.

1. i smoke every day and get bad case of the munchies i need to lower my cholesterol badly how r quick ways to do it

2. You might want to start by switching the type of fats you consume.

Less polyunsaturated fats and more saturated fats as well as more omega 3s.

A nice antioxidant like Curcumin might also be worth supplementing. Make sure the Curcumin is Bioavailable if you do decide to use it.

Artichoke leaf extract might also be worth a try. Its good at helping your body to remove excess cholesterol.

Effect of oral curcumin administration on serum peroxides and cholesterol levels in human... - Abstract - UK PubMed Central

Artichoke leaf extract (Cynara scolymus) reduc... [Phytomedicine. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

Whole Health Source: The Diet-Heart Hypothesis: Subdividing Lipoproteins
    Whole Health Source: Tropical Plant Fats: Palm Oil
    Whole Health Source: Tropical Plant Fats: Coconut Oil, Part II

3. Sir, put the case of twinkies down and step away from the ice cream man slowly with your cone in the air.

Lowering cholesterol isn't difficult, but I don't know how quickly it may be for you. Realistically, probably 30 days of good eating would do it.

Learn to control those munchies, or you don't stand a chance. I know how hard that is, so it may come down to what you really don't want to hear unless you can control yourself. Stop smoking. :eek:

4. I'd be curious to know why you say that.

5. Check the links.

6. It isn't commonly known, but the "B" vitamin niacin will lower cholesterol, and do it more safely than statins! :eek: It can cause "hot flashes, however.

Niacin: another look at an underutilized lipid-lowering medication. Niacin: another look at an underutilized ... [Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Niacin, or water-soluble vitamin B(3), when given at pharmacologic doses, is a powerful lipid-altering agent. This drug, which lowers the levels of atherogenic, apolipoprotein-B-containing lipoproteins, is one of few medications that can raise the levels of atheroprotective HDL cholesterol.

Omega 3 also lowers cholesterol. In heart studies, patients have been given up to 6 grams of pure Omega 3 per day! Most were at 4 grams of Omega 3, and there were side effects, looser feces, fishy burps and easier bruising.

Omega-3 Fatty Acids Ameliorate Atherosclerosis by Favorably Altering Monocyte Subsets and Limiting Monocyte Recruitment to Aortic Lesions. Omega-3 Fatty Acids Ameliorate... [Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Compared with palm oil-fed low-density lipoprotein receptor mice, echium oil and fish oil significantly reduced plasma cholesterol....,

Cholesterol is found mostly in animal products. Eat vegetarian for a while. :D

Granny :wave:

7. 1- Cut out the carbs (especially wheat and sugar)
    2 - Eat meats/fats with a good Omega 3 to 6 ratio. I think you want 2:1...but you should check the links above to be sure. Basically cut out grain fed meat, and stick with pasture raised chicken/beef or wild caught fish.
    3 - Amaze your doctor with your improved cholesterol profile.

For a fun and informative movie about this, check out Fathead. I think it is still on Netflix

8. thanks for all the new info i learned i am going to try it

9. I've got a story for you blades:

So I get my monthly blood drawn in the psych hospital... and I'm reading in bed one day and a doctor I don't know knocks on my door and comes in. We're talking for a few seconds and he pulls out a piece of paper and he says to me:

"I've never seen results so bad in my life in a 17 year old kid."

My triglycerides were 590 mg/dL and I forget what my cholesterol was, but it was ridiculously bad too.

Sucks considering I eat healthy... genetics are a bitch I guess.

10. Yo! Im not a doctor or anything close, but u defenetly have to start working out, doing so sort of arobic activity, or cardio wich is the same term as arobic, but run if u can and try to get a fast intence pace, also watch ur diet, and ure gonna have to stop smoking for a long time.

11. Red wine and omega 3 fish pills are a quick fix. My dad's dropped 77 points just from those two things.

12. [quote name='"figarofigaro"']I've got a story for you blades:

So I get my monthly blood drawn in the psych hospital... and I'm reading in bed one day and a doctor I don't know knocks on my door and comes in. We're talking for a few seconds and he pulls out a piece of paper and he says to me:

"I've never seen results so bad in my life in a 17 year old kid."

My triglycerides were 590 mg/dL and I forget what my cholesterol was, but it was ridiculously bad too.

Sucks considering I eat healthy... genetics are a bitch I guess.[/quote]

Wrong chart? Or did it retest that high?

13. i got to try me some fish pills