Need help getting started

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by gb1, Sep 18, 2006.

1. I want to start a grow setup in my closet and I need some help working out some details. This is my first grow, so i'm going off of info I've read throughout the web. I'll describe my plan and I'm hoping someone can let know if I'm doing something wrong or not. I've got some high-quality seeds, but I only want to grow 1 plant. I've read I need at least 1 sq. ft. per plant, so my closet should be big enough. I started germinating the seeds 2 days ago between 2 wet paper towels (from bottled water) in a ziplock container. When the root appears I'll be planting it, root tip down, about 1/2" deep, in a jiffy pot, 6" in diameter, in soil 6.5-7.5ph with some sand, sponge rock/pearlite, and humus. ??Is there a specific brand/type of soil with these properties that anyone has had success with to make my shopping trip easier, if so, where do I get it?? Okay, now assuming my plant sprouts succesfully, I should leave it be with no light for about two weeks before transplanting and starting the light cycle?? Next, I need help deciding on lighting. I want to grow it as fast as possible. I'm willing to spend up to $100 on lighting, but I don't want to have to order anything, I need to be able to buy it from a local store like a home depot, meijer, kmart, etc. ??I'm planning on some sort of fluorescent fixture, what is the best length/wattage to use for 1 plant to grow the fastest, and where can I get it?? I'd like to use a compact fluoro setup as I've read they work great. Well, I think this is as far I need to plan for now. Let me know if anyone can help answer my questions. Thanks

2. Go to wall mart and get some CFL's and some clamp lamps. I would suggest using a orgainc soil... Schults makes good soil. Get a soil high in Nitrogen or N on the NPK ratio on the bag and i wouldnt go over 6.7 with ph. Unless you have feminzed seeds i wouldnt suggest just planting one seed. You will however need more space, unless you only want a half a gram. Just spend alot of time in the indoor growing section and youl know what you need to do.

Peace, S_A

3. Thanks, I only have 2 seeds, I'll plant both and hope at least one turns out female. My closet's actually about 2' wide 4' length 7' height. As far as the light goes, can you be more specific about the wattage, length, lumens, etc. of the wal-mart CFL's you mentioned. What size CFL's should I buy for at most two plants? I just want to make sure I'm getting the right supplies before I go any further into the process. Also, where can I get that organic soil you mentioned?
    Thanks,
    gb1